Romahome?

Vixter

Vixter - 2021-06-04 10:50 AM

Now that's a smart camper HymerVan. I will look for one coming up second hand a bit further south, as you say Fife is a long way :-S

ENC do not have high production volumes and have probably only made a very small number of the Combi so I think the chances of picking up a second hand one are quite slim. It may be worth having a word with Darren or Davy at ENC just in case they know of any customers who are thinking of disposing of one.

As will be evident from this 2019 “What Motorhome” magazine arrticle

https://eastneukcampervans.co.uk/new-models/fifer-combi-what-motorhome-review/

the “Fifer Combi” model’s quoted dimensions

Length = 4.99m

Width = 1.95m

Height = 2.66m

show that it is quite tall.

The dimensions of the ‘Lo’ (rising roof) version of a Romahome R20 are

Length = 4.99m

Width = 2.11m

Height = 1.93m

with the height of a ‘Hi’ (high-top fixed roof) R20 being 2.44m

It may not be possible to find a genuine equivalent to a ‘Lo' Romahome R20 but (as I said earlier) there are plenty of campervans available based on conventional short-wheelbase small panel vans (eg. Renault Trafic, Ford Transit Custom) with a rising roof that can have a similar length to a ‘Lo’ R20, be narrower and not much taller.

These 2018 forum discussions related to someone with no motorcaravanning experience seeking to buy a motorhome

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Confused-newbie-needs-help-/47182/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Motorhome-pricing-new-pre-owned/47247/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Now-I-know-what-I-want-my-shortlist-is-down-to-hundreds-/47322/

and enphasiseed that, to cut down the length of the shopping list, the buyer needs to be rigorous when choosing between ‘must haves’ and ‘nice to haves’.

Vicki does have motorcaravanning experience and her stated wish is for "a small camper to use as an everyday runabout with the bonus of a few days away from time to time”.

It needs to be asked how small “small” is, and what’s the budget. (Even if a Fifer Combi were available 2ndhand, as that model was only introduced in 2019 it would be unrealistic to expect the asking price to be much less than ithe price new.)

If the dimensions of a ‘Lo’ Romahome R20 are acceptable, small Trafic-size rising-roof panel-van conversions (PVC) should also be acceptable size-wise - and it’s likely that a significantly younger PVC could be obtained for the price of a Romahome R20. Length will matter when parking in a supermarket car-park (on a driveway at home) and width will matter when street parking - and height will definitely matter where car-park height-barriers are concerned.

For maximum versatility for the single traveller, consideration might be given to a ‘micro camper’ based on a car or small van

https://tinyurl.com/fjnkf62

but, although one of these would meet Vicki’s everyday runabout requirement perfectly, I’m not sure about using one regularly for trips of several days duration.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-06-07 7:45 AM

Vicki does have motorcaravanning experience and her stated wish is for "a small camper to use as an everyday runabout with the bonus of a few days away from time to time”.

It needs to be asked how small “small” is, and what’s the budget. (Even if a Fifer Combi were available 2ndhand, as that model was only introduced in 2019 it would be unrealistic to expect the asking price to be much less than ithe price new.)

If the dimensions of a ‘Lo’ Romahome R20 are acceptable, small Trafic-size rising-roof panel-van conversions (PVC) should also be acceptable size-wise - and it’s likely that a significantly younger PVC could be obtained for the price of a Romahome R20. Length will matter when parking in a supermarket car-park (on a driveway at home) and width will matter when street parking - and height will definitely matter where car-park height-barriers are concerned.

For maximum versatility for the single traveller, consideration might be given to a ‘micro camper’ based on a car or small van

https://tinyurl.com/fjnkf62

but, although one of these would meet Vicki’s everyday runabout requirement perfectly, I’m not sure about using one regularly for trips of several days duration.

The couple I met one year when I was touring had been all over Europe in their Romahome.....and his wife was disabled so they carried her wheelchair as well! They'd bought it specifically for the reason of ease of running (it's basically a car with a sink, gas hob and bed), and economy. They didn't have the budget for a large camper or motorhome but wanted to travel. I admired their attitude.

I can see what the attraction is of these micro campers so all Vicki needs to do is decide where her budget lies and what her preferred choice of vehicle is. That link Pepe posted has quite a good stock of used ones for sale, including Romahomes.....and they will deliver.

More interesting information from you guys, thanks.

I think a MicroCamper would be fine for the 'everyday runabout' side, but just too limiting for anywhere near comfortable camping. Maybe OK for the youngsters but sadly I no longer qualify in that respect, and after spending many frankly uncomfortable nights in our Bilbos Nexa I think that particular style of cobbled-together single bed is not for me.

The Romahome HyLo R20 and the Mezan look more refined, light and airy inside, a pop-top would always be my preference and plenty of these higher-spec campers are around. The porta-potti can be used at night, :-) . The single or double bed would be fine. But all this lovely space comes at a cost, not just financially but I'm also referring to the long overhang at the back (does my bum look big in this? Etc Etc :-( )

The Nissan NV200 is a smart-looking vehicle but that's partly because there's not the long overhang, so one would be limited to the 'Solo' version that seem to be a bit like Hen's Teeth to find secondhand.

So I seem to have almost come full circle, Romahome or maybe the Autosleeper Mezan.

To be continued......!

Nobody yet has mentioned Nu-Venture campers, I have a Nu-Venture Campervans, they do similar to Romahome and Mezan and are called Surf and Rio. I visited the factory on Tuesday and they couldn't have been more helpful. The interior or the Surf and Rio are much better quality that the Romahome and Mezan. They are well worth looking at on the secondhand market, if there is any. They do have a Facebook page as well that one of the administrators is an employee of the the company. This is a small family company.

Randonneur - 2021-06-11 3:02 PM

Nobody yet has mentioned Nu-Venture campers, I have a Nu-Venture Campervans, they do similar to Romahome and Mezan and are called Surf and Rio. I visited the factory on Tuesday and they couldn't have been more helpful. The interior or the Surf and Rio are much better quality that the Romahome and Mezan. They are well worth looking at on the secondhand market, if there is any. They do have a Facebook page as well that one of the administrators is an employee of the the company. This is a small family company.

Thanks Sylvia. I have had a very quick look but they don't seem to do a pop top. I don't want a rock and roll bed therefore I'm looking for something like the Nissan NV200 Solo by Sussex campervans. I'm being picky, but I'm prepared to be patient :-)

Well Derek, you hit the nail firmly on the head when you suggested the Micro Camper might be OK for me. Today I have viewed and agreed to buy a used Peugeot Partner Horizon Teepee single berth conversion by Riviera Motors. It has a pop-top, one burner gas cooker, pumped cold water supply to a little sink, EHU etc. and even a porta potti. It's immaculate with low mileage. Not room to swing a cat, but with two sliding side doors and a tailgate awning it's not too claustrophobic. I have always known that I really won't know if it suits me until I try it, and there's only one way to do that!

Many, many thanks to you and all the other kind members who have taken the time to comment on my question. Your thoughts were much appreciated and every one helped steer me down the path that lead to my final decision. I will keep you posted!

Tracker - 2021-06-16 7:00 PM

Good luck Vicki - happy travels - maybe best not to get a cat - but a big kettle might be handy!!

Thanks Rich! I do actually have two cats but they're staying at home! A kettle, yes, and a hot water bottle!

Vixter - 2021-06-16 5:37 PM.................. Your thoughts were much appreciated and every one helped steer me down the path that lead to my final decision.

So it'll be our fault then!! :-S

Well done, and I hope it works well for you. You have a lot of MH experience, so I'd be surprised if you've misjudged what you've bought. Where to first? :-D

Hi Vixter,

Just come back from the New Forest, where I met a lady in a vehicle called a Vikenze (think that's spelt ok). It's made in Brentwood, Essex by Stephen Wheeler. Wow, what a great little camper! No need for gas as the huge solar panel fuels a large inverter. The camper had a microwave and induction hob also, she could use a hairdryrer, not to mention toilet and other comforts too numerous to mention, all in a small Fiat. There is a bigger version on a Fiat Doblo as well. I was very impressed and if considering a downsize, would certainly think of one of these.

Hope this helps.

Sparky

Brian Kirby - 2021-06-16 8:06 PM

Vixter - 2021-06-16 5:37 PM.................. Your thoughts were much appreciated and every one helped steer me down the path that lead to my final decision.

So it'll be our fault then!! :-S

Well done, and I hope it works well for you. You have a lot of MH experience, so I'd be surprised if you've misjudged what you've bought. Where to first? :-D

Thanks Brian, and YES, I certainly will blame you lot if I don't like it!

I have to get a couple of little things before I set off into the sunset, for example there isn't a gas bottle and I need to find out just how much/little I can fit into the nooks and crannies in the van. As usual I will find a small and very quiet campsite close to home where I can experiment away from prying eyes! I have a brand new tailgate awning to get my head around for a start. After that, well - I'm spoilt for choice here in South Wales aren't I? Possibly the Brecon Beacons.... the Gower....oh decisions, decisions :-)

Sparky7 - 2021-06-17 10:41 AM

Hi Vixter,

Just come back from the New Forest, where I met a lady in a vehicle called a Vikenze (think that's spelt ok). It's made in Brentwood, Essex by Stephen Wheeler. Wow, what a great little camper! No need for gas as the huge solar panel fuels a large inverter. The camper had a microwave and induction hob also, she could use a hairdryrer, not to mention toilet and other comforts too numerous to mention, all in a small Fiat. There is a bigger version on a Fiat Doblo as well. I was very impressed and if considering a downsize, would certainly think of one of these.

Hope this helps.

Sparky

Hey Sparky, thanks for that. BUT, I have just found a little van that seems to tick most boxes for me. So I won't even look at the van you suggest... :-| , but thanks anyway!

Archived