New Royal Yacht

John52

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-05 4:32 PM

If you're upset with the cost of the Dome Tweetiepie, you best not look into the cost and subsequent use of the Olympic Stadium.

I should think that, now it's been established that the Dome was a Tory idea, he no longer thinks that the cost is a problem.

;-)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
malc d - 2021-06-05 4:43 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-05 4:32 PM

If you're upset with the cost of the Dome Tweetiepie, you best not look into the cost and subsequent use of the Olympic Stadium.

I should think that, now it's been established that the Dome was a Tory idea, he no longer thinks that the cost is a problem.

;-)

(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)

Doesn't it just show how the Tory press can con people

Blame Labour for the Millennium Dome

And perhaps the biggest one of all -

When BoJo is borrowing record amounts of money to buy votes

Without actually looking at the figures

the Tory press tells them it was Labour who left us with no money

.. and they believe it..

.. and quote it from the Daily Mail :-S

Brian Kirby - 2021-06-05 12:22 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-06-02 5:38 PM

Mmmm ... I should have known better than to offer a different opinion than the standard squad opinion ... I point out Labour public money waste on The Dome was more than the new yacht which may not even end up being a waste of public money and some of the usuals get in a tizzy ... Lets hope the usuals can unlike the last campaign refrain from bullying, trolling and posting up my personal details ... Lordy My

You offered no opinion as such, only that it was a) realised under a Labour government (while omitting to add initiated by a Conservative government), which is somehow supposed to counter arguments that this "Royal Yacht" (the subject of this string) appears to be an expensive project with little chance of pay-back. Two white elephants for the price of one? The best "bogoff" of all time?? Where's the connection??? This is not a "who wasted the most money, ever", string, it is about the economic benefit of the proposed new Royal Yacht, on which you appear to have no opinion save that it "may not even end up being a waste of public money". Well, Hallelujah!

You also stated that the Millennium dome had involved £M700 of "taxpayers" money, when over £500M of that had come from the Lottery fund and most of the balance from (lower than forecast) ticket receipts. So far as I am aware the Lottery is not directly funded by the exchequer, so although you might have argued that every contributor was a taxpayer, meaning in that sense that all the money came from taxpayers, you didn't.

I don't defend the dome, but it wasn't, in any normal sense, taxpayer funded, although the taxpayer has picked up some of the costs. The actual structure, which still stands, cost just (a below budget!) £43M of that £M700.

So not a "tizzy", just a plea for an unbiased and accurate presentation.

Goodness me ... You who asked others to vote for anyone other than Tories pleas for an "unbiased" view??? ... I dont care about the dome just as I dont care about the new yacht, I mentioned the dome to offer another take on wasted money in an "unbiased" way given the Tory hating pack on here as usual were being very Tory hating biased ... As for who lost money in the almost £800 million dome project, the tax payer or lottery player it seems you are defending the lottery spaffing money away on the dome that could have been used on other more suitable projects

Birdbrain - 2021-06-06 7:24 AM

Mmmm ... I should have known better than to offer a different opinion than the standard squad opinion ... I point out Labour public money waste on The Dome was more than the new yacht which may not even end up being a waste of public money and some of the usuals get in a tizzy ... Lets hope the usuals can unlike the last campaign refrain from bullying, trolling and posting up my personal details ... Lordy My

You offered no opinion as such, only that it was a) realised under a Labour government (while omitting to add initiated by a Conservative government), which is somehow supposed to counter arguments that this "Royal Yacht" (the subject of this string) appears to be an expensive project with little chance of pay-back. Two white elephants for the price of one? The best "bogoff" of all time?? Where's the connection??? This is not a "who wasted the most money, ever", string, it is about the economic benefit of the proposed new Royal Yacht, on which you appear to have no opinion save that it "may not even end up being a waste of public money". Well, Hallelujah!

You also stated that the Millennium dome had involved £M700 of "taxpayers" money, when over £500M of that had come from the Lottery fund and most of the balance from (lower than forecast) ticket receipts. So far as I am aware the Lottery is not directly funded by the exchequer, so although you might have argued that every contributor was a taxpayer, meaning in that sense that all the money came from taxpayers, you didn't.

I don't defend the dome, but it wasn't, in any normal sense, taxpayer funded, although the taxpayer has picked up some of the costs. The actual structure, which still stands, cost just (a below budget!) £43M of that £M700.

Goodness me ... You who asked others to vote for anyone other than Tories pleas for an "unbiased" view??? ... I dont care about the dome just as I dont care about the new yacht, I mentioned the dome to offer another take on wasted money in an "unbiased" way given the Tory hating pack on here as usual were being very Tory hating biased ... As for who lost money in the almost £800 million dome project, the tax payer or lottery player it seems you are defending the lottery spaffing money away on the dome that could have been used on other more suitable projects

Like the Olympic stadium.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-06 10:00 AM

Yes ... Remind me again of the debt racked up by the London Olympics and then remind me who was in power when we won the right to host those Olympics

Birdbrain - 2021-06-06 11:11 AM

Yes ... Remind me again of the debt racked up by the London Olympics and then remind me who was in power when we won the right to host those Olympics

And I take it you can see the parallels to the dome then?

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-06 12:01 PM

Chuckle ... When you realise youve posted sumat silly and thats the best response youve got ... Lordy my

Barryd999 - 2021-06-06 5:12 PM

Bulletguy - 2021-06-06 4:18 PM

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/584822

Signed but mainly because its not a Royal Yacht and just another Johnson bonkers vanity project.

"National flagship, the first vessel of its kind in the world, reflecting the UK’s burgeoning status as a great, independent maritime trading nation."

Bosun Johnson 2021.

Birdbrain - 2021-06-06 2:21 PM

Chuckle ... When you realise youve posted sumat silly and thats the best response youve got ... Lordy my

Which party started the Dome? Which party finished it?

Which party bid for the Olympics? Which party delivered it?

If you can't see the parallels its because you have your head too far up your arse. Again.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-07 12:25 AM

Birdbrain - 2021-06-06 2:21 PM

Which party started the Dome? Which party finished it?

Which party bid for the Olympics? Which party delivered it?

If you can't see the parallels its because you have your head too far up your arse. Again.

I really dont see the need for insults

Birdbrain - 2021-06-06 7:24 AM........................

1 Goodness me ... You who asked others to vote for anyone other than Tories pleas for an "unbiased" view??? ...

2 I dont care about the dome just as I dont care about the new yacht, I mentioned the dome to offer another take on wasted money in an "unbiased" way given the Tory hating pack on here as usual were being very Tory hating biased ...

3 As for who lost money in the almost £800 million dome project, the tax payer or lottery player it seems you are defending the lottery spaffing money away on the dome that could have been used on other more suitable projects

1 As a matter fact, I don't believe I ever "asked others to vote for anyone other than Tories". Can you point to where I made that request?

2 Then why raise it? I saw no "hatred" (bit Hollywood, "hatred", surely?), just criticism of what people seem to think an under costed, extravagant, pointless project. It was proposed by a Tory government, so who else should be criticised?

3 Emphatically no. I have never thought the dome a worthwhile venture, irrespective of who proposed it or completed it. By chance rather than intent, the building now earns its keep, but it cost less that 10% of the total project cost. The other 90+% was spent on what I have always thought a tacky collection of fairground attractions - which failed to attract.

Are you supporting the new Royal Yacht because you think it a good idea, because a "tory" government proposed it, because Boris proposed it, or because certain people have criticised it?

Brian Kirby - 2021-06-07 4:01 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-06-06 7:24 AM........................

1 Goodness me ... You who asked others to vote for anyone other than Tories pleas for an "unbiased" view??? ...

2 I dont care about the dome just as I dont care about the new yacht, I mentioned the dome to offer another take on wasted money in an "unbiased" way given the Tory hating pack on here as usual were being very Tory hating biased ...

3 As for who lost money in the almost £800 million dome project, the tax payer or lottery player it seems you are defending the lottery spaffing money away on the dome that could have been used on other more suitable projects

1 As a matter fact, I don't believe I ever "asked others to vote for anyone other than Tories". Can you point to where I made that request?

2 Then why raise it? I saw no "hatred" (bit Hollywood, "hatred", surely?), just criticism of what people seem to think an under costed, extravagant, pointless project. It was proposed by a Tory government, so who else should be criticised?

3 Emphatically no. I have never thought the dome a worthwhile venture, irrespective of who proposed it or completed it. By chance rather than intent, the building now earns its keep, but it cost less that 10% of the total project cost. The other 90+% was spent on what I have always thought a tacky collection of fairground attractions - which failed to attract.

Are you supporting the new Royal Yacht because you think it a good idea, because a "tory" government proposed it, because Boris proposed it, or because certain people have criticised it?

1 ... I have asked you countless times to provide proof of my extremism and Islamaphobia that you claim I suffer from, not once have you provided anything to back up your claim so one has to ask, why should I???

2 ... The Labour Government that hijacked it and turned it into something the Tories never intended

3 ... Well done

4 ... WTF are you on about, look at number 2

5 ... Get a life

Todays FT

Boris Johnson’s plan to build a new yacht in the UK is set to fall foul of a World Trade Organization agreement struck by his own government last year, experts have warned.

The prime minister last month announced that he hoped a domestic shipbuilder would create the £200m vessel, a successor to the Royal Yacht Britannia, to promote British trade and industry around the world.

But while Number 10 has announced its “intention” to build the as yet unnamed ship in the UK, this would breach an agreement that Britain signed up to only eight months ago.

Ministers failed to exclude the construction of civilian ships from the list of contracts that must be opened to global competition when it signed the WTO “government procurement agreement” (GPA) covering 48 countries last October.

The government has set up a national flagship taskforce, hosted in the defence ministry, to oversee the creation of the trade yacht, which will be manned with Royal Navy personnel. However, its purpose is entirely for business rather than security. 

Liz Truss, trade secretary, boasted in October that the GPA would allow British companies to keep bidding for public sector contracts around the world worth £1.3tr a year. Likewise, she said, overseas groups would be able to continue to bid for UK public sector contracts, “delivering better value for UK taxpayers”.

But that could frustrate the government’s attempts to use a “Buy British” approach to building the new yacht. Item 47 of annex 4 of the UK schedule of the GPA explicitly says the procurement of “ships, boats and floating structures, except warships” must be advertised internationally and awarded without discrimination.

Other countries, including the US, Canada, Japan and Australia, have, by contrast, ensured that their GPA agreements exclude civil shipbuilding.

Out of the largest 50 motor-powered superyachts currently at sea, only one (el Mahrousa) was built in the UK — in 1865.

However, Cammell Laird, which has a shipyard in Merseyside, north-west England, says it is ready and willing to manufacture the new trade yacht.

Aline Doussin, head of the international trade team at law firm Hogan Lovells, said it would be hard for the UK to avoid allowing international competition to build the ship unless it was an actual military vessel.

“It is likely that the GPA will be engaged, which means that open, fair and transparent conditions of competition will have to be met, and GPA country suppliers would have to be treated in the same manner as domestic ones,” she said.

Emily Thornberry, shadow trade secretary, said the government had failed to take “the most basic and simple steps” to guarantee the boat could be built in Britain.

“It is yet more copper-bottomed, ocean-going incompetence from Boris Johnson and Liz Truss, and they need to get themselves on solid legal ground before spending any more public funds on this project,” she said.

A government spokesperson said the ship would definitely be built in UK shipyards. She said the programme would be “compliant with our obligations under the WTO GPA” but did not say how that could be the case given Item 47 of annex 4.

One Whitehall figure said the government was planning to claim that the new trade yacht is indispensable for national security in an attempt to bypass those rules.

But the government announcement of the launch said it would be used “to host high level trade negotiations and trade shows and will sail all over the world promoting British interests”.

As a result the UK faces potential legal challenges from overseas governments or shipbuilders against the government’s protectionist stance.

Dmitry Grozoubinski, a trade expert who is visiting professor at the University of Strathclyde, said the government might try to structure the deal to avoid the letter of the GPA rules.

“Ringfencing this procurement is demonstratively contrary to their spirit. The arguments cited for keeping the procurement local — jobs, upskilling, patriotism — apply equally to any purchase made by the government and are precisely what the GPA was negotiated to set aside,” he said.

“The government can’t simultaneously present itself as a champion of the rules-based trading system and retain the freedom to ignore those rules whenever politically expedient,” he added.

Barryd999 - 2021-06-08 11:12 AM

Oh dear. Bloody undemocratic WTO telling us what to do eh? (lol)

I'm quite sure that the WTO - the U.N. etc understand that, for the duration of Boris Johnsons premiership, normal standards of honesty and integrity have been suspended in the U.K. parliament.

:-D

malc d - 2021-06-08 12:15 PM

I'm quite sure that the WTO - the U.N. etc understand that, for the duration of Boris Johnsons premiership, normal standards of honesty and integrity have been suspended in the U.K. parliament.

Quite, which is another reason why as long as the current fruitloop and his cabinet of fellow loops are in power nobody in the world will trust them. Hardly bodes well for the sunlit uplands we were promised.

Barryd999 - 2021-06-08 12:24 PM

Quite, which is another reason why as long as the current fruitloop and his cabinet of fellow loops are in power nobody in the world will trust them. Hardly bodes well for the sunlit uplands we were promised.

The rest of the world will soon lighten up a bit when they see our new boat.

They may even sign super deals if we let them have a ride on it.

I like the quote from Thornberry; “It is yet more copper-bottomed, ocean-going incompetence from Boris Johnson and Liz Truss, and they need to get themselves on solid legal ground before spending any more public funds on this project." (lol)

malc d - 2021-06-08 12:52 PM

The rest of the world will soon lighten up a bit when they see our new boat.

They may even sign super deals if we let them have a ride on it.

Pah, we're a "burgeoning great, independent maritime trading nation." according to Johnson so he won't want any foreigners after a ride.......they can sit at the quayside and look up to us as we throw them our scraps. (lol)

Signed but mainly because its not a Royal Yacht and just another Johnson bonkers vanity project.

I think the wording of this petition will cause it to fail.

The petition calls for the government to " cancel plans for a royal yacht ".

When the number of signatures reaches the level where the government has to respond, they will simply say " We have no plans for a royal yacht " - ( adding that they do have plans for a National Flagship - but NOT a royal yacht ).

:-|

malc d - 2021-06-08 7:07 PM

I think the wording of this petition will cause it to fail.

The petition calls for the government to " cancel plans for a royal yacht ".

When the number of signatures reaches the level where the government has to respond, they will simply say " We have no plans for a royal yacht " - ( adding that they do have plans for a National Flagship - but NOT a royal yacht ).

:-|

Given their track record I reckon you're right.......after all they know they've conned their electorate and got away with it so know they're a bunch of gullible idiots who will swallow whatever they're told.

Archived