New Royal Yacht

John52

Bulletguy - 2021-05-30 3:08 PM

malc d - 2021-05-30 2:25 PM

It's not a " Royal Yacht " apparently.

It's a " National Flagship ".

I imagine that at least half the nation will fall for that one !

;-)

Yes it smacks of Johnsons delusions of grandeur and I get the impression it's more about satisfying his megalomania. He pompously announced, “This new national flagship will be the first vessel of its kind in the world, reflecting the UK’s burgeoning status as a great, independent maritime trading nation."

Oh brother.....cue compulsory flags at tv political interviews and a new national anthem, Boris Britannia *-)

The Queen has already rebuffed Johnson who wanted the tub named after Prince Philip. She said it's not something they want or have asked for.

It's prime use is for Johnson and his cronies to sail around the world on "trade missions" and the Royals will only be able to use it when it's not being used by Johnson and his mates.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-spend-200m-national-24214443

I understand the design includes vary large magnifying glasses down both sides of the ship - so that it appears absolutely huge, in keeping with our perceptions of our importance. Not sure what will happen when it docks, though!! :-D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Kirby - 2021-06-12 5:58 PM

Bulletguy - 2021-05-30 3:08 PM

malc d - 2021-05-30 2:25 PM

It's not a " Royal Yacht " apparently.

It's a " National Flagship ".

I imagine that at least half the nation will fall for that one !

;-)

Yes it smacks of Johnsons delusions of grandeur and I get the impression it's more about satisfying his megalomania. He pompously announced, “This new national flagship will be the first vessel of its kind in the world, reflecting the UK’s burgeoning status as a great, independent maritime trading nation."

Oh brother.....cue compulsory flags at tv political interviews and a new national anthem, Boris Britannia *-)

The Queen has already rebuffed Johnson who wanted the tub named after Prince Philip. She said it's not something they want or have asked for.

It's prime use is for Johnson and his cronies to sail around the world on "trade missions" and the Royals will only be able to use it when it's not being used by Johnson and his mates.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-spend-200m-national-24214443

I understand the design includes vary large magnifying glasses down both sides of the ship - so that it appears absolutely huge, in keeping with our perceptions of our importance. Not sure what will happen when it docks, though!! :-D

Johnson will want it on display with flags flying as long as his reign lasts. :-|

• 2 weeks later...

Designer of Cunards Queen Mary 2, Stephen Payne, has criticised Johnsons planned "national flagship" for "looking like a 1950's fishing trawler".

Mr Payne went on to say, "The superstructure front, akin to a 1950s Hull trawler, is great for a fair-weather ship but not such a good idea for a global voyager crossing the Atlantic, Pacific, or even rounding the tip of Africa." Asked whether it would be a suitable flagship to represent the United Kingdom, he replied: "I think it would be a very poor one. It would be all right for the Isle of Sark or something. I just think we could do something more ambitious."

"They say they'll use a Royal Navy crew. Isn't there a chronic manpower shortage within the service? Will the Navy look at this new vessel not with adoring eyes but with despair as it struggles to keep frontline ships at sea?

"As for financing this ship, there's £200 million to find and I'd be surprised if the running costs weren't £5 million a year. I don't believe there's the appetite from even the most ardent royal fans to support such costs."

Mr Payne, who designed QM2 for Cunard in 1998 sent an outline of his proposals to Number 10 – but they were lost.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/06/20/boris-johnsons-plans-new-royal-yacht-look-like-1950s-fishing/

And here is some commonsense from a sensible Tory........there is very few of them left.

Former Chancellor Ken Clarke ridicules Boris Johnson over ‘silly’ £200m flagship

Boris Johnson’s plan for a successor to the Royal Yacht Britannia is “silly populist nonsense”, former chancellor Ken Clarke has said.

Lord Clarke said the £200 million national flagship demonstrates that some in No 10 believe there is “free money” despite the stretched state of the national finances.

Conservative peer Lord Clarke told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that the new vessel is a “complete waste of time, silly populist nonsense” and “we have no money” for it.

“It’s a symptom – £200 million is not going to cause problems, but it shows there are people in No 10 who just think there’s free money and who think that waving a Union Jack and sending yachts and aircraft carriers around the world shows what a great power we are.

“We have no money for that kind of thing.”

Archived