Wheel nut torque settings - Fiat Hymer 16” steel wheels

StuartO

StuartO - 2021-06-29 1:08 PM

Any one know the correct torques values for my 2006 Fiat Hymer with 16” steel wheels?

Stuart, the van illustrated in your profile has alloy wheels. If yours has alloys, I believe the torque settings are different. Is your reference to steel wheels possibly a typo?

Also, for 2006, would the 16" steel wheels not imply the "maxi" chassis? I have been under the impression that the 16" wheels option on the "light" chassis was a later model year introduction.

I posted this query from the tyre depot because they didn’t have the value and the Fiat Owners Handbook for my MH didn’t mention torque values either. My Hymer handbook (a massive tome) did list torque values but not for Fiat 16” steel wheels.

I goggled for an answer and found what looked a fairly official figure of 180 Nm which looks in proportion with what the Hymer document was listing for other steel wheel sizes.

Brian Kirby - 2021-06-29 3:39 PM

StuartO - 2021-06-29 1:08 PM

Any one know the correct torques values for my 2006 Fiat Hymer with 16” steel wheels?

Stuart, the van illustrated in your profile has alloy wheels. If yours has alloys, I believe the torque settings are different. Is your reference to steel wheels possibly a typo?

Also, for 2006, would the 16" steel wheels not imply the "maxi" chassis? I have been under the impression that the 16" wheels option on the "light" chassis was a later model year introduction.

I’m afraid your eyes deceive you Brian, they are steel wheels with plastic covers. As far as I know (when I bought it new) my MH has an Alko rear chassis fitted by Hymer. Curiously the Fiat LHD front end was discovered (on the dynamometer, when I had the engine remapped) to have a more powerful engine than expected (compared to UK-spec RHD 2.8 JTD Ducatos) and the English language Fiat Owners Manual I bought at it the time lists pages and pages of different Ducati variants, so goodness knows what particular Ducato variant lies under the Hymer bodywork. Fortunately it all still seems to function quite well 15 years later.p

For 2004-2006 Ducatos (and Boxers/Relays) a "Power" version.of the 2.8litre Iveco-made powerplant was marketed offering 146PS instead of the more common 126PS - it's mentioned here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato

I think it was available for RHD vehicles as Nick Fisher commented that it was of questionable real-world merit and just used more fuel.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/M-P-G/16753/

(I believe Brian Kirby bought a motorhome that had the "Power" motor, but I think that vehicle was LHD.)

There was also an automatic torque-converter gearbox for the 2.8 litre motor, but that was only available for LHD vehicles.

I don’t remember a proper auto box being an option when I ordered via Bundesvan from a Hymer dealer in Dortmund, I just ordered a standard LHD B674 and it was the engine mapper (at the time also a Fiat Professional Dealer, since gone bust) who mentioned that because the engine was more powerful to start with, the remapping resulted in an output of 170 thingies. It certainly upped the power and helped with towing.

And I owe Brian an apology, the photo is not my MH, I forgot that I used one off the internet.

By the way, after its long storage (in gear, handbrake off) my MH failed its MOT because of a tyre failure and an ineffective parking brake. The tyre had a gouge out of the centreline tread which exposed the chords, so not repairable - but not really conspicuous either, I hadn’t seen it. The parking brake was more problematic because my regular garage was too busy to service the brake before go away. The hydraulic brakes were fine. I tried to free up the parking brake by heavy handed applications at about 20 mph and trying to move forwards and backwards with the parking brake on. Stopping power was very poor but the bake would prevent moving off. But the real progress was made when I applied the handbrake repeatedly at about 2 mph, both forwards and backwards. There was groaning and clanking but the effectiveness did seem to improve, so I persisted. I took it back for a retest and it passed! They test parking brakes on the rollers by applying the brake as the rollers start turning so my efforts to replicate that seem to have done the trick.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-06-30 9:23 AM....................(I believe Brian Kirby bought a motorhome that had the "Power" motor, but I think that vehicle was LHD.)

Correct. LHD Burstner t585, 2005, manual, supplied by Calais Caravanes and self imported. 2.8L JTD Power, 146 French horses! The French (somewhat misleadingly!) called the engine the TGV! Nick was about right that it drank more (about 24.5 MPG) with little actual performance advantage. Our (then) local Fiat workshop manager was all over it and got quite excited by its variable vane turbo unit! :-)

We had hired a "bog standard" t585 with the Iveco 2.3 litre JTD engine from Calais Caravanes before buying, and I couldn't really detect much difference in performance between the two.

When we replaced it with the Hobby Van in late 2007, I was very favourably impressed by the responsiveness and performance of the then Transit 2.2 litre engine with 130HP output and 28.25 MPG. It seemed the Ford HP was based on race horses and the Fiat on cart horses! Hey-ho!

StuartO - 2021-06-30 8:04 AM.........................

I’m afraid your eyes deceive you Brian, they are steel wheels with plastic covers. ...............................

Thanks Stuart. At least at the scale of your profile picture they are very convincing faux alloy trims! I was just a bit concerned that fluff might be entering the system, with potentially serious consequences. Glad its all sorted now. No need to apologise, my faith in my powers of observation is duly restored! :-D

Well, there’s me appearing to improperly wear alloy wheels. I’m afraid I was too lazy to take a picture of my own MH.

Interesting that this well dressed B674 had the same lower level single beds that we chose (you can tell from the level of the rear windows) and that it is an automatic and just two berth, so it presumably has front high level lockers rather than a drop down bed. Our drop down bed has only been used twice (in 15 years) but choosing the locker option impacts on residual value.

Archived