Aignep air suspension

rooster63

I have a Aignep air suspension system fitted to my Fiat Ducato based Timberland Destiny. The pressure is currently set to 18psi, the maximum is 100psi. When the van is fully loaded the ride does seem rather hard so I'm wondering what might be the ideal pressure? (no manual was supplied). I have tried searching for info on the internet but got nowhere. The only thing I found out is that the 2 levers should be set to 'ON' when inflating but not sure what position they should be in for operation, On or OFF?

I have emailed Aignep to see if they can supply an instruction manual.

Timberland do not list air suspension as an option for the Destiny, so I assume this was aftermarket fit? Aignep seem to be manufacturers of compressed air components, but do not list air suspension systems, although may of their components appear suitable for incorporation into such systems. Might it be worth contacting the seller of the vehicle, or a previous owner (if relevant), to see if they still have the operating instructions relevant to the system? What you describe sounds like a semi air system, where the original springs are retained, but augmented with air spring bags, rather than full air, where the original springs are completely removed and replaced with air suspension units.

Thanks Keith, not sure it is a Driverite system. The only clue I have got is that the 2 valves are marked Aignep. I did find a YouTube video that shows the valves in the On position for inflating but it didn’t make it clear when they should be in the Off position. Going by the Driverite pressure suggestions maybe my system is a bit under inflated.

Van is going in to sort out a couple of faults next week so will see if the workshop have any ideas.

Looking underneath the van it is a part system just for the rear to help take some of the load off the springs.

rooster63 - 2021-07-13 5:22 PM

I did find a YouTube video that shows the valves in the On position for inflating but it didn’t make it clear when they should be in the Off position. Going by the Driverite pressure suggestions maybe my system is a bit under inflated.

Sorry should have added, valves should be OFF when driving to prevent 'cross-talk'. If the valves are both On, or open, then when you go round a corner the air is forced from the outer sides air bag to the inner side and exaggerates body roll. With valves Off, or closed, each air bag acts as an independent spring and body roll is reduced.

I run my Dunlop system at around 40 psi as I find this gives a comfortable ride and reduces body roll which is a trait of the Sprinters soft suspension.

One way of determining a suitable pressure is to unload the MH as far as possible then measure the height of the rear bumper off the road. Then load the MH to the max you are likely to see and inflate the air bags until the rear bumper is back to the starting height. You may need to roll the MH back and fore to level the suspension each time.

Keith.

Thanks Keith, have been running the van with valves in On position as that is how they were set when I collected the van I did ask the salesman about the psi and he thought it was about right at 18-20. Will try increasing the pressure to 40psi and have the valves in the off position and see how that goes.

Will also try out checking height unladen and fully laden.

As Brian has suggested above, “Aignep” will just relate to fittings that are part of the ‘semi-air’ system.

These instructions for an “AirRide” system advise on how to set the right inflation pressure

https://airride.co.uk/air-suspension-explained/set-up-of-basic-kit/

(The fact thar you mention “levers” and the attached image (taken from the AirRide instructions) has “AIGNEP”-marked inflation valves strongly suggests that you have an AirRide system.)

AIGNEP.png.57dbeb57ab0203824422c19010dcfdbb.png

Have been running the van with just under 20psi as that is what it was when I got the van. According to Airride it shouldn’t be below 20. I also note that they should be deflated when changing a wheel. Had a new set of tyres a couple of months back and I doubt that the fitter deflated the bags. Hopefully no damage done but I’m not sure what to look for if the bags are damaged. I assume if I inflate them to a higher pressure I will see the rear of the van lift and the set psi will be retained.

The AirRide instructions warn as follows:

BE CAREFUL!

Please be warned that running the vehicle with no pressure will damage the bags. A minimum of 20 PSI should be retained in the bags at all times – including when stored over the winter. A correctly functioning air suspension system will hold air for years just like a tyre. It should be checked regularly just like a tyre.

Also be aware that all bags (particularly reversible-sleeve bags) should be deflated when the vehicle is jacked clear of the ground or again they could be damaged. Furthermore, this is potentially very dangerous for the user/mechanic. Additional procedures are required when working on air suspension, including when changing wheels.

If a semi-air kit has been fitted to counter significant ‘sagging’ of a motorhome’s rear end, deflating the air bellows might prevent a rear wheel from being extracted from under the wheel arch. In practice, I suspect that few motorhomes with this type of kit have the bellows deflated before a wheel-change takes place.

The photo attached below shows the rear suspension of a Ducato-based panel-van-conversion where the orange ’spring assister/bump stop’ is plainly well compressed. In such instances the result may be a harsh ride at the rear and it may be worth fitting a semi-air kit. Where a ’spring assister/bump stop’ has clearance beneath it or is rarely under load, a semi-air kit is unlikely to improve the ride.

1493325557_springassisters.jpg.a94bc5e35e1f38f536fb58df29c92384.jpg

Have inflated the air suspension to 50psi and the bumper rose 6cm. When I inflated it to 80psi rose another 1.5cm so have dropped it down to 50psi. Took the van for a short drive and it seemed a softer less jarring ride although not carrying a full load.

Archived