Thetford Fridge not working on gas

VXman

N4000 series fridge. Only 4 months of use. (new van)

Just not cooling on gas. The burner lights up ok and stays on permanently but it doesn't cool at all. The pipe work behind gets hot but the fridge doesn't cool.

Confusing because all is ok on EHU. As far as I understand an absorption fridge is quite simple and just needs a heat source (12V/240V heating element or a gas flame)

So what would cause it to be ok on electric and not on gas.?

I will be returning it to the dealer but they cannot see it until 12th August so I am just trying to see if I can find a solution.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Paul.

This recent forum thread mentioned the ‘levelling requirement’ for Thetford fridges.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fridge-problem/58412/

It would be worth you experimenting by getting your fridge absolutely level (side-to-side and front-to-back) to see if that makes any difference, but (logically) a modern 3-way fridge ought to cool OK on 230V or gas without ultra-fine levelling being necessary.

I’m concerned about your statement "The burner lights up ok and stays on permanently but it doesn't cool at all”. My motorhome’s Thetford N3000 fridge/freezer’s gas-burner lights and runs at maximum output until the fridge’s selected interior temperature has been reached. Then the burner shuts down and stays off until the fridge’s interior temperature has risen, when the burner relights and runs ‘flat out’. This On/Off sequence repeats indefinitely.

Assuming that your fridge is not super-senstive about being level, the only thing I can think of is that the gas burner flame is sub-standard. (Can you check what the flame looks like?)

(You’ve said that you’ve only used the fridge for 4 months, but not whether this not-cooling-on-gas has been a problem for all that time or has just begun to happen.)

Ninian - 2021-07-26 1:40 PM

Hi, It's always been stated that you must be parked up LEVEL for it to work properly.

Yes - aware of that. Covered all the basics. It is working on Electric anyway which also needs it to be flat so it appears that is not the issue.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-07-26 2:45 PM

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Paul.

This recent forum thread mentioned the ‘levelling requirement’ for Thetford fridges.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fridge-problem/58412/

It would be worth you experimenting by getting your fridge absolutely level (side-to-side and front-to-back) to see if that makes any difference, but (logically) a modern 3-way fridge ought to cool OK on 230V or gas without ultra-fine levelling being necessary.

I’m concerned about your statement "The burner lights up ok and stays on permanently but it doesn't cool at all”. My motorhome’s Thetford N3000 fridge/freezer’s gas-burner lights and runs at maximum output until the fridge’s selected interior temperature has been reached. Then the burner shuts down and stays off until the fridge’s interior temperature has risen, when the burner relights and runs ‘flat out’. This On/Off sequence repeats indefinitely.

Assuming that your fridge is not super-senstive about being level, the only thing I can think of is that the gas burner flame is sub-standard. (Can you check what the flame looks like?)

(You’ve said that you’ve only used the fridge for 4 months, but not whether this not-cooling-on-gas has been a problem for all that time or has just begun to happen.)

I have only had the van for 4 months and most of the time it has been using electric. I have used gas for a couple of individual nights and didn't notice any problems then. Also it was left on gas for 2 nights while we were in a hotel and the MH was in the car park of the hotel. Everything was fine when we returned so I think it was fine at that point. Only noticed the issue just over a week ago when we were away off grid.

The gas flame appears very strong and as I said is on permanently when the fridge is on gas. I assume this is because the gas control unit is noticing that the fridge temp is not decreasing so the gas remains on. Normally it would cut the gas when the correct temp inside the fridge is reached and then kick in again every time the temp rises.

Have you tried contacting a Thetford service centre near to you to see if they can explain this paradox?

https://www.thetford-europe.com/gb/dealer-and-service-centres-locator

The fridge will have its own Thetford 3-year warranty and it will be your dealer’s responsibilty to ensure that the problem is addressed successfully, but it might help to know in advance if there’s a credible explanation for the fridge not cooling on gas despite the gas-burner running, the rear pipework heating up and cooling taking place on 230V.

This recent forum discussion

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/fridge-not-going-cold-on-gas/58374/

related to a Thetford N3170 fridge/freezer in a 2019 Auto-Trail Frontier Delaware HB motorhome. The symtoms were similar to yours - cooling OK on 230V and 12V, but not cooling on gas despite the burner lighting and staying lit - but a photo of the burner flame suggested that the ’strength' of the flame was below par.

The plan was to replace the burner’s jet and, if that failed to fix the problem, Thetford was prepared to replace the appliance under warranty. (It’s not known whether a new jet cured the fault or a new fridge was provided.)

Derek Uzzell - 2021-07-27 7:39 AM

Have you tried contacting a Thetford service centre near to you to see if they can explain this paradox?

https://www.thetford-europe.com/gb/dealer-and-service-centres-locator

The fridge will have its own Thetford 3-year warranty and it will be your dealer’s responsibilty to ensure that the problem is addressed successfully, but it might help to know in advance if there’s a credible explanation for the fridge not cooling on gas despite the gas-burner running, the rear pipework heating up and cooling taking place on 230V.

This recent forum discussion

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/fridge-not-going-cold-on-gas/58374/

related to a Thetford N3170 fridge/freezer in a 2019 Auto-Trail Frontier Delaware HB motorhome. The symtoms were similar to yours - cooling OK on 230V and 12V, but not cooling on gas despite the burner lighting and staying lit - but a photo of the burner flame suggested that the ’strength' of the flame was below par.

The plan was to replace the burner’s jet and, if that failed to fix the problem, Thetford was prepared to replace the appliance under warranty. (It’s not known whether a new jet cured the fault or a new fridge was provided.)

I have looked at the flame and to me it seems quite 'robust' but not having seen it when it was working ok its diificult to say.

I contacted a local Thetford dealer - he's fully booked up until 31st October!!!!

My dealer is 100 miles away and also very busy. Booked in 12th August but I was just wondering if I could solve the issue myself.

Archived