Autotrail Leisure battery location

Rowan

We have a 2004 Cheyenne 632 and the leisure battery is located in a box through the floor under the LH settee. It has a black plastic lid but is usually covered by an offcut of carpet so well hidden. Try looking from underneath for a battery box 'hanging' through the floor.

Keith.

My searching shows that it may be a Cheyenne 635 with rear bathroom and opposing settees at the front. If so it should have the leisure battery in the same position as our 2004 632, ie under the LH settee.

Open the horizontal locker door in front of the coach door and inspect the floor covering very carefully for the plastic battery box lid. Or look underneath for the box.

Also the Sargent Electrical website shows leisure batteries fitted to ALL the AT models in its 2003 - 2005 schematics so it certainly SHOULD have a leisure battery!

https://sargentltd.co.uk/tech-support/article/Auto-Trail-Schematics/26

Keith.

Edit to add: If you scroll through the control panel display does it show separate Engine and Leisure battery voltages? If yes then it does have a leisure battery!

An Auto-Trail 2004 Handbook can be downloaded from here

https://www.auto-trail.co.uk/handbooks

This includes the following advice

12 V SYSTEM

This is fed from an 85 amp-hour leisure

battery that is located in a dedicated

compartment in the vehicle. This is

connected to the main control panel via

the fuse box.The control panel inside

the vehicle indicates the condition of the

battery. When the engine is running, or

the vehicle is connected to a mains

supply, the leisure battery is charged

through the onboard charging unit.

There is a fair amount of online-forum discussion about the location of Auto-Trail leisure-batteries (commonly asking whether a 2nd battery can easily be installed).

It’s evident from forum comments that the position in the motorhome of the “dedicated compartment” varied according to the model and its age, but the consensus seems to be (as Keith has said) that the leisure-battery of a 2003 Cheyenne 635 should be expected to be housed in a compartment in the floor of the left-hand (UK nearside) seat locker in front of the habitation-area door, with the compartment covered by a removable lid. (The position is as arrowed on the image attached below.) If it ain’t there, try the floor of the seat locker on the opposite side.

1070909202_Cheyenne635.jpg.3e3ddfd5d79893eb625ffa295c00335d.jpg

Not that unreasonable when one sees the rear locker where the spare wheel is housed (image attached below).

In fact, it’s fairly common for a leisure-battery to be installed in a rear ‘garage’ where there’s often plenty of space to add a 2nd battery: that’s where the battery is on my Rapido 640F.

635.jpg.d63f06487e4404c39dc73880bc9c009f.jpg

The locker in Derek's photo is only a very slim tall locker for external storage and is behind the wash basin in the rear bathroom.

The actual spare wheel locker is below the rear number plate in this photo with the wheel stored flat...

Keith.

1546901954_Sparewheel.jpg.ec87a1f9512f08aff4537ec153ccb399.jpg

Ah, that looks familiar! I thought I'd seen something of the sort, but I'd no idea they put the battery in there as well. It seems an odd place to locate it. Two heavy items well behind the rear axle on a longish rear overhang. It must make maintenance access awkward and, at 50lbs or so in weight, you'd need a good back to replace it!

OK - it is indeed an unusual place to house a leisure battery, and definitely not where one might expect to find it.

I notice this was discussed in a 2014 MHFun forum thread relating to Cheyenne 63x models and there are some suggestions about accessing/replacing the battery (or batteries if there are two) that may be useful.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/autotrail-battery-access.77974/

As Brian has said, not the greatest idea choosing to put 25kg of battery (or 50kg if there are two) near the rear of the motorhome if it were practicable to put it/them in a compartment in the motorhome’s floor within the vehicle’s wheelbase, but possibly better for access than under a swivelling cab-seat.

alanedwin - 2021-09-01 9:54 AM

Is it on a sprinter chassis? If so my previous van had space under the bonnet for two leisure batteries, one each side.

Paul, the OP, said it was a 2003 so it will be the same layout as my 2004 with the starter battery under the bonnet on the LH side and the brake servo and washer reservoir on the RH side leaving no room there for another battery.

I am very surprised at AT locating the leisure battery so far rearward both weight wise and also with the long lengths of cable required when my Cheyenne 632 has the single battery under the side settee which looks very similar to the 635.

Keith.

Archived