Lat-Flow test to enter France.

BruceM

We were planning to use one of the UK providers to obtain our Lat-flow test for entry to France.

However, they seem to think that the tests that they send to your home, you perform and then upload the results to the provider for validation, are not acceptable to the French.

I have queried this with them as they pointed me to the French embassy website that states

From 4 December 2021, fully vaccinated travellers (12 years old or more), and whatever their nationality, have to provide the result of a negative PCR or antigen test (in paper or digital format) carried out less than 48h hours prior to departure. Tests whose results are not certified by a laboratory (such as the self-administered tests provided free of charge by the NHS) are not considered valid for travel.

I’d argue that as I’d have something from the laboratory to say that I’d tested negative it would be OK.

Does anyone have real world experience of this please?

BruceM - 2021-12-09 3:58 PM

I’d argue that as I’d have something from the laboratory to say that I’d tested negative it would be OK.

I think the issue is that the laboratory has no proof that YOU actually took the test and didn't get someone to take it for you!

Keith.

As the rules only changed in the last few days I'd guess there will be little experience of them.

I would note that even in the UK we only accept lateral flow from certain countries, others need a PCR, arguing at the border will either get you a fine, or banned from entry, if the French say you need a PCR, then that's what you need.

Keithl - 2021-12-09 4:32 PM

I think the issue is that the laboratory has no proof that YOU actually took the test and didn't get someone to take it for you!

Keith.

Gotcha, so the French are doing it properly whilst the UK is allowing self administered tests – that makes more sense now.

I see Boots will do lat-flow tests at £30 a pop – just need to work out whether they provide a certificated result with QR code.

colin - 2021-12-09 4:36 PM

if the French say you need a PCR, then that's what you need.

The French will accept a lat-flow test for entry, it just appears that it needs to be taken by a certified thrird party and certificated.

Keithl - 2021-12-09 4:32 PM

Keith.

On a slightly different note, to get into hospital for a operation you need to get a PCR test, you get told when and where you will take the test, a self administered lateral flow is only acceptable for consultations, x ray etc. We have had 9 months of various tests this year. :-(

Except that the travel direction is the opposite way around, I don’t think it’s much different from when the UK was demanding that travellers returning to the UK from France must take a lateral-flow test before leaving France and a PCR-test after they had arrived in the UK.

A traveller could either have the lateral-flow test carried out by a laboratory/pharmacy in France, or take a (non-NHS) test-kit with him/her and take the test in France not long before the return to the UK, sending an online ‘authentication’ of that test to the test-kit’s provider who would then email a ‘validation’ certificate back to the traveller.

This link describes the procedure involved

https://www.confirmtesting.com/collections/at-home-fit-to-fly/products/rapid-antigen-test-fit-to-fly-at-home?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3PmO-6LX9AIVqoFQBh3mAA2FEAAYAyAAEgKCfPD_BwE

A Boots Covid test certificate does not come with a QR code - I have one in front of me. However as far as I know neither do any other tests from other providers. It is simply a certificate delivered to your phone or provided to you on paper.

Your vaccination status is contained in your NHS Covid Pass.

This comes in two flavours on the NHS website one for domestic use and one for travel.

You can see and download a PDF of either from the NHS web site and see and download a PDF for printing from the NHS app.

If your intended use is overseas then you should use the Travel version. It comes with a QR code suitable for crossing borders. It is also what the French restaurant or bar owner or campsite owner will expect to see and scan, either from a piece of paper or on the App. You can simplify matters for the French doormen by uploading the NHS Travel QR code into the French TousAntiCovid app (that you can download form your app store) and then show him the app screen his expecting to see rather than an overseas Foreign one (the NHS app). However either route works.

So don't confuse tests results - no QR code (at least not as of mid-Sept) with vaccination status (QR code required. and available on the NHS app and via the NHS website)

A Boots or other provider test result will appear on your NHS record. As do the results of any tests you take with the free LFT packs available widely from pharmacies, as long as you upload or notify by other means the result to your NHS record.

Thanks, I’ve reached a similar conclusion.

The Lat-flow test to enter France is a once off item to gain entry so a written certificate is all that is required. I note that P&O now allow it to be uploaded to their portal prior to departure to France (and likewise test results and passenger location form prior to return).

The vaccination status cert is an on-going status with the need for a QR code to allow entry to various European establishments. Having said that, my French mother-in law uses a print off of her vaccination status. Mind you she’s 92 and seems to be able to get away with anything.

A friend of mine need a lat flow test to go to America and this was done via Skype or similar. He was sent the kit and he made an appointment for his test to be watched, all through the process from taking the swab to seeing the result and then he was sent a certificate.

slowdriver - 2021-12-10 6:22 AM

Keithl - 2021-12-09 8:31 PM

Thread has been moderated at the request of a forum member.

Keith.

Without going into details, what does this mean and why does it happen? - I have not seen it before.

Ignore that request -- I figured it out.

The home test LFs that travel companies (e.g. Brittany Ferries) link to are verified online by the providers who then provide documentation. We did them with Chronomics via TUI when leaving Spain in September. No video link required.

Are Brittany Ferries wrong?

We're off in January and currently three tests each. LFT in LFT out and a day two PCR. I can't find anything on crossing into Spain. France don't require any testing coming back the other way.

Cheapest I've found is with Randox via BF. Collection prices are £18.95 for the LFTs and £34.99 for the PCRs. So £72.89 each.

I'm planning on driving to Bristol (other locations available) to pick up all six and save a fortune in postage.

derek500 - 2021-12-11 4:17 PM

The home test LFs that travel companies (e.g. Brittany Ferries) link to are verified online by the providers who then provide documentation. We did them with Chronomics via TUI when leaving Spain in September. No video link required.

I'm not sure what your question means...

When the Randox CertiFly app is registered, a scan of the traveller's passport is taken for identification purposes. After the test, scanning the result is carried out via the app, with the scanned image then being sent to the Randox laboratory.

These links explain what's involved (with the 3rd link including instructional videos)

https://www.randox.com/lateral-flow-certifly-app/

https://covid.randox.com/covid-19-testing-frequently-asked-questions/#hfaq-post-304736

https://www.randoxhealth.com/covid-19-instructional-video

No 'video link' is required with the Randox CertiFly system that can be used (at the moment!!) going from the UK to France and vice versa - though internet access obviously is necessary.

This article discusses the current COVID-19 testing rules for a UK-to-USA trip

https://www.cntraveller.com/article/can-i-travel-to-the-usa

and in this case a 'video link' could be needed.

Travellers can take a PCR or Antigen test, but the test must be supervised. In-person tests are permitted, while those using at-home self tests must book through a company that offers video consultation appointments, during which a nurse will guide you through taking the test and wait on the line for 15 minutes to confirm a negative result. Travellers will receive a travel certificate with their results, and are required to print a paper copy to present at the airport. They are also recommended to take a lateral flow test within three to five days of arrival in the US.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-12-11 5:44 PM

derek500 - 2021-12-11 4:17 PM

I'm not sure what your question means...

The posters above who appeared to think that self-administered tests without in-person verification were not acceptable to the French, and are Brittany Ferries wrong in linking to them.

The UK Government website here:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

recommends checking with the The French Consulate in London web site here:

https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rules-for-travel-between-France-and-the-UK-28918

On that web site it says, with reference to testing:

"From 4 December 2021, fully vaccinated travellers (12 years old or more), and whatever their nationality, have to provide the result of a negative PCR or antigen test (in paper or digital format) carried out less than 48h hours prior to departure. Tests whose results are not certified by a laboratory (such as the self-administered tests provided free of charge by the NHS) are not considered valid for travel."

It excludes self testing kits such as those available free from the NHS, because they are "not certified by a laboratory". So far so good. What it stays silent on is what methods are allowed ,and what not, when it comes to obtaining that laboratory certification, and whether

a) video links based tests are acceptable,

b) whether app based services that transmit a photo taken in the app, of the test result to the lab for certification are acceptable.

Since they stay silent on the method of lab certification I assume they do not care.

I'd be interested if anyone here has any more information as to which are acceptable. Currently we are due to have in-person rapid walk in LF tests at the Westgate in Oxford, for an early Jan trip to France via https://www.expresstest.co.uk which appear to meet the requirement.

But the video/app based services are often cheaper and more convenient so for any future trips after January I'd be interested in taking advantage of them.

slowdriver - 2021-12-11 7:33 PM

... What it stays silent on is what methods are allowed ,and what not, when it comes to obtaining that laboratory certification, and whether

a) video links based tests are acceptable,

b) whether app based services that transmit a photo taken in the app, of the test result to the lab for certification are acceptable.

Since they stay silent on the method of lab certification I assume they do not care....

Whichever method a commercial COVID-19 testing provider (eg. Randox) uses, the provider should issue credible confirmation (ie. a 'certificate') that the test result that the company received from a traveller was negative (assuming that it was, of course!) If the traveller has the opportunity, he/she could print out the certificate (paper format) or hold it on a phone/tablet/laptop (digital format).

There's evidently no standardised certificate format, but the example I've attached below carries all the information currently needed for entry to France. Guidance on that provider's test procedure (There's a short video...) is given here

https://www.c19testing.co.uk/rapidtravel

certificate.jpg.9d48734351c281f625110f9e59489207.jpg

This is a very challenging time for us all, I am travelling to France on 4th January, so like all of us I have tried to understand the rules.

The only issue is whether the test needs to be supervised or not from what I can see. It really should not be difficult to get clarification on this.

I found this set of guidelines on the Airfrance uk website. Being the national carrier you would think they know. The reference to the unsupervised test under Collinson seals it for me

https://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/local/page_flottante/covid-19-travel-requirements-and-tests-suppliers.htm

The long and short of it seems to be that specifically for France, the pre-departure lat-flow test must be carried out (or possibly supervised) by a registered party (laboratory).

Our initial commercial lat-flow self test provider (flysurance) stated in writing to me that their test would not meet the criteria required for entry to France but was ok for entry back to the UK.

It’s possible that the self test via a video link option would be acceptable (because the paperwork would show it to be supervised?) however from our limited research this is more expensive than an in-person test.

Both Lloyds Pharmacy and Boots provide the test for about £30 per person with results within an hour – although the test actually only takes about ten minutes to produce a result.

We’ll probably get ours at Canterbury the day before our proposed departure on P&O.

Our plan is to spend Christmas in France so we’ll depart late December. If anyone is planning to depart early January it’s probably worth making plans whilst being aware that it’s rumoured that the UK may tighten lock-down rules in the new year. Whether this impacts travel abroad is open to debate although I suspect not.

cjrm1 - 2021-12-12 12:56 PM

The other thing that worried me during my searching for info was the comment on this site which said its test was not suitable for France - specific mention. I have contacted them to see why it is not suitable

https://www.projectscreen.co.uk/fit-to-fly/lfa-home-test/

I think the clue is the wording on their website

This at-home Covid-19 test kit is perfect for anyone travelling to a country that accepts negative self-administered lateral flow antigen test results for Fit to Fly certificates

And the fact that for entry to France the test must definately be supervised, I'm not sure that there is any uncetainty over that any more.

I can't find the word "supervise" in any of the official material relating to the COVID-19 antigen tests that UK travellers to France are permitted to use.

Although there are variations in the procedure of companies offering such tests where identification and validation are concerned, the norm for a UK ferry-traveller is likely to involve taking the test 'at home' within the time-window specified by France and to use the traveller's passport for identification.

In the following example, a photo of the test result + passport is uploaded to the test provider "Official Rapid Tests".

https://officialrapidtests.com/products/rapid-test?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjPip46jg9AIVS-vtCh3JXwmlEAAYAiAAEgL8r_D_BwE

This webpage relates to a 'notional' trip to France on 15 December 2021

https://www.covid19-testing.org/country-page?results=1&direction=leaving&country=france&date=2021-12-15&vaccine=1

The entry/testing requirements are stated as follows:

Entry requirements

- All travellers will need to complete a ‘sworn statement’ (déclaration sur l’honneur) form self-certifying they are not suffering from symptoms associated with coronavirus and have not been in contact with confirmed cases in the preceding fortnight, and that (for those who aren't fully vaccinated) they will self-isolate for seven days after arrival.

- Those who are not fully vaccinated will also need to present a completed International Travel Certificate to confirm their essential reason for travel. In exceptional circumstances, the French Consulate in London may be able to assist with travel for an essential reason not listed on the International Travel Certificate.

- Please check the full government guidance to make sure you meet all the requirements.

Testing requirements if you are fully vaccinated

Before departure from the UK to France you must take either a PCR or an Antigen test.

There's a link on the webpage providing testing options (at home/at local clinic/at airport) and "Official Rapid Tests" is shown as a 'TRUSTED' home-test provider. That company's certificate seems rather minimalist to me, but I assume it would be acceptable to the French authorities - I'd prefer the more comprehensive format of the "Cerulean Health" certificate I attached to my posting of 11 December 2021 7:33 PM above.

Brittany Ferries has historically partnered with Randox for COVID-19 testing (though when I was planning to travel to France in October the cost of the Randox PCR test I needed for the return trip wasn't particularly cheap even with the BF discount code).

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/travel-extras/covid-19-testing

I provided earlier links to the Randox "Certifly" lateral flow test - the idea that this test when taken 'at home' might be unacceptable to the French authorities is, frankly, ridiculous.

The root of the problem here is the disjointed nature of the UK's testing infrastructure, and the lack of pro-active, government-led standardisation as to what methods must be deployed for different sorts of tests. If the test categorisation was clearer and the test providers actively policed, it would be much easier to assess what test to chose.

This link from The Local.fr is helpful because it has a good stab (see what I did there) at answering the question:

"Can travellers to France from UK get a self-administered Covid test?"

https://www.thelocal.fr/20211210/can-travellers-to-france-from-uk-get-a-self-administered-covid-test/

I recommending reading it all.

Because of the confusion The Local.fr contacted the French Consulate in London:-

"...we contacted the French consulate in London who helped clear things up, for the most part.

We asked them if self-administered home tests, whether PCR or antigen tests were valid for entry into France if the results were verified by a lab?

They replied “yes, we can confirm that is the case”.

When asked about the self-tests that companies say can be verified with a photo of the negative test or a video call the consulate replied: “This may depend on the (travel) certificate issued, in this case you can contact the test provider.”

When we asked more details about what info the travel certificate needed to contain, the consulate confirmed that details such as the type of test, the name of the laboratory, full names and date of birth and of course the time and date of the test, would need to be on the certificate.

So ultimately while certain self-tests are authorised, not all are, so it’s probably wise to check with your test provider that the certificate provided contains all the relevant details for travel to France.

And if that’s not possible, which is often the case, then you should probably get an on-site test to avoid any doubt.

What’s clear is you can’t just arrive at the border with a negative self-test kit in your hands and expect it to be accepted."

Hope that helps

Archived