Lat-Flow test to enter France.

BruceM

Part of the problem is how tests are obtained by residents in France. I am not aware that it is possible to obtain a test in France without it being supervised or performed by a healthcare professional.

Hence the normal response by authorities would be if you want to enter France then you have to behave as if you were getting a test in France - so test performed by a healthcare professional.

I do agree that the Eurotunnel and ferries are taking private individuals to France now so if there was a problem all hell should have broken loose.

I received this answer from C19, who I am thinking of using because of their trustpilot reviews.

"Our tests are not classed as "self-administered tests" for the purpose of entry to France because the user does not interpret the test cassette. C19 Testing interprets the results of rapid antigen tests and our lab partner, The Doctor's Laboratory, analyses and interpret the results of our PCR tests. France does not allow the use of tests that are taken and self-reported by the user, such as an NHS test lateral flow test"

The next thing to worry about is whether the kit will arrive in time!

This August 2021 forum thread referred to COVID-19 testing when returning to the UK from France.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Returning-from-France/58757/

At that time there was no requirement by France for a COVID test to be taken prior to arriving there from the UK, but an antigen (lateral flow) test was needed prior to returning to the UK, plus a PCR-test soon afterwards. Now there’s the Full Monty - an antigen (or PCR) test for the UK-to-France journey, an antigen test for the France-to-UK journey and a PCR-test after arriving in the UK.

The August thread discussed purchasing an antigen test-kit in the UK, taking the kit abroad and ‘self administering’ the test shortly before returning to the UK with the test’s results being checked online by the test-kit’s provider. The cost of this approach was similar to the price then being charged by French pharmacies for testing ‘foreigners’, but would be more versatile and - in principle at least - would reduce the hassle.

COVID-19 travel-related testing regulations are oriented towards air-travel, online software applications and smartphone usage. The attached image shows what I assume is how a Randox antigen test-result certificate appears on a phone, but I don’t kmow if what is emailed to a traveller looks different. The Randox phone certificate meets the required criteria advised by the French consulate (type of test, name of the laboratory, full name of traveller, date of birth, time/date of the test) plus the traveller’s passport number that - I would have thought - should also be a prerequisite.

(There was, unsurprisingly, a lot of discussion on the Brittany Ferries Entusiasts’ forum about COVID-19 testing, and that’s where up-to-date first-hand advice about this subject could have been obtained. Sadly that forum recently shut down.)

This French link includes advice about the COVID certificate and mentions the 15 December 2021 rule change.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/article/coming-to-france-your-covid-19-questions-answered

The ‘Travel’ version of my NHS COVID Pass now carries 3 QR codes (Booster, Jab 2, Jab 1). As of today, the Booster and Jab 2 QR codes are both accepted as valid by the current version of the French TousAntiCovid app, but from Wednesday I assume my Jab 2 QR code will become invalid as I’m (well) over 64.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...

randox.jpg.f0091c44f64f625888f27f4b6bf40b03.jpg

BruceM - 2021-12-12 4:20 PM

cjrm1 - 2021-12-12 12:56 PM

The other thing that worried me during my searching for info was the comment on this site which said its test was not suitable for France - specific mention. I have contacted them to see why it is not suitable

https://www.projectscreen.co.uk/fit-to-fly/lfa-home-test/

I think the clue is the wording on their website

This at-home Covid-19 test kit is perfect for anyone travelling to a country that accepts negative self-administered lateral flow antigen test results for Fit to Fly certificates

And the fact that for entry to France the test must definately be supervised, I'm not sure that there is any uncetainty over that any more.

I can see no difference between the LFTs that Project Screen supply with those from Chronomics or Randox (they all use the same methods of verification, test > upload photo on app > receive confirmation). No clear reason why they believe their ones aren't suitable for France.

This Project Screen webpage (dated 5 December)

https://www.projectscreen.co.uk/blog/negative-pcr-or-lfd-covid-19-tests-required-before-travelling-to-the-uk/

includes the following advice:

What are the Latest Travel Requirements for France?

From yesterday, 4th December, fully vaccinated travellers (aged 12 years or over) travelling from outside the European Union must show proof of a negative COVID-19 test result from either a PCR or Lateral Flow Antigen test. Tests must be taken no more than 48 hours before travel for vaccinated travellers and no more than 24 hours before travel for those who are not fully vaccinated. Self-administered tests are not acceptable – you cannot use a Project Screen test to travel to France.

This advice is presumably based on the company's understanding of what a "self-administered test" constitutes and I note that - for the USA - Project Screen offers an "Observed Lateral Flow Antigen Fit to Fly Test" that includes a 'video consultation'. However, there's no mention in their advert

https://www.projectscreen.co.uk/fit-to-fly/teleheath-lateral-flow-antigen-test/

that this test might also be appropriate for France.

There has been (at least) one instance where a UK traveller flying to France (via EasyJet) was refused boarding at Gatwick despite having carried out a pre-departure antigen test. EasyJet (wrongly) claimed that a PCR-test was required. There has also been a need for clarification as to what 'counts' as a self-administered test (or, more to the point, what does NOT count as a self-administered test ) and this was very adequately covered in slowdriver's posting of 13 December 2021 9:36 AM.

As far as Project Screen is concerned, one could ask them why their LFT test is not suitable for travelling to France and which (if any) or their COVID-19 testing products would be suitable - or just use another test provider that confirms that their LFT test is suitable for entry to France.

The way I see this is that it is not an issue of confirming the result of a test with a certificate and/or QR code but proving that the person taking the test was actually the person claiming the result. ie A possibly infected person was not using a stand in to take the test to ensure they get a Negative result.

From the laboratories point of view a customer sends them a test result claiming they took the test, unless that testing was actually witnessed by video or other means how do they know they are not being duped?

Keith.

If you take this to it's logical conclusion what is the point of an unsupervised LatFlow test? How does any one know if a test was even taken unless it's supervised. There are numpties out there who couldn't care less about anyone else but themselves so will still travel even if they have Covid. Sounds completely crazy to me, all testing needs to be supervised.

The "Wren Healthcare" company offers 3 types of COVID-19 rapid antigen test for travel FROM the UK

https://wrenhealthcare.co.uk/rapid-antigen-test-for-travel/

These are

1: Rapid Antigen Test for Travel - Photograph Verification - £29

2: Supervised Video Call / Virtual Appointment - £39

3: Rapid Antigen Test In Clinic - £39

It's up to the destination country to decide what COVID-testing hoops a UK traveler will need to jump through and the French consulate in London has confirmed that (at the present moment) any of those 3 types of test would meet the French entry criteria.

It should be practicable for a COVID-19 testing system to identity the testee and the test result and the link between them with no room for error or trickery, but then mass-travel to that country would be pretty much impossible. Although a self-administered LFT + laboratory 'photo validation' system is potentially open to abuse, as the price of that type of test is not huge, the realistic likelihood of widespread exploitation must be tiny. In France's case, there's also the disincentive of risking being caught out by the random antigen/PCR tests that the French authorities have warned may be administered on entry to their country.

new advice from gov website now states the antigen test must be laboratory certified as here

Those travelling from the UK to France must show proof of a negative COVID-19 test result (PCR or antigen) before departure. This applies to all travellers whether fully vaccinated or not. Tests must be taken no more than 48 hours before travel for vaccinated travellers and no more than 24 hours before travel for those who are not fully vaccinated. Test results must be certified by a laboratory to be accepted. The self-administered NHS tests are not considered valid for the purpose of travel. See Entry requirements

so as before the C19 that Derek and I highlighted and all the others are valid

and before you slate me off BruceM (again) I crossed on Monday using the rapid self antigen test (self administered) and provides a certificate by https://www.c19testing.co.uk/rapidtravel

Jonathan

BruceM - 2021-12-14 12:00 PM

This will be of interest – for the return PCR test . . . https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/13/amazon-to-sell-low-cost-pcr-covid-tests-for-uk-travellers

Amazon are entering the market and effectively halving the PCR test costs it seems.

Available now. £34.99 each or £63.98 for pack of two. Same price as Randox click & collect (£43 for home delivery), but with quantity discount and free postage!

Anyone found a day two PCR for less than £31.99?

Wonder if they're going to do LFTs?

Archived