International driving permit

Deffheads

I sent for my 70 year old licence in January for driving a 5 ton motorhome, my current one expires late March. If the renewal does not arrive by then, I know that I can still drive in the UK, but if I got a 1968 international drivers permit could I drive legally in the EU?

I’ve just taken this off the internet

1 to 3 years

IDPs are valid for 1 to 3 years depending on the type of IDP required for your destination country. A 1968 IDP is valid for 3 years or until the expiry of your driving licence, whichever is sooner.

International Driving Permit (IDP) - Post Office

There may be more detailed information further into the website.

I know that you are allowed to drive if your renewal application is being processed. But it seems to be a grey area as to whether or not it's valid for your purposes.

If you can't speak to the DVLA maybe a chat at a Crown Post Office (if that's the correct term these days) would be useful.

Cattwg :-D

You are allowed to drive in the UK whilst awaiting your renewed licence.

However, in order to satisfy the laws in most European countries, you need to carry your UK driving licence with you and show it, if asked. An IDP lasts only for the validity of your current licence, so that does not help.

I have had the same problems waiting for the DVLA. Under section 88 you are allowed to drive in the UK for up to twelve months from your application. You cannot drive in the EU especially France. If you are stopped and cannot produce your licence your van may be impounded until you produce your licence. And you cannot just get someone else to drive it.

The relevant DVLA guidance is here

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/695575/inf188x6-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf

and includes the following QA

I am going abroad and I would like to drive

while I am there. Am I covered for this?

Because the Section 88 provision is in UK

legislation, it may not be accepted in other

countries. We advise you to check with the

relevant licensing authority before you travel.

As has already been said, presenting a full VALID photo-card driving-licence is necessary for an IDP to be obtained.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/international-driving-permit

Derek Uzzell - 2022-02-24 9:22 AM

As has already been said, presenting a full VALID photo-card driving-licence is necessary for an IDP to be obtained.

...you do need a valid driving licence, but it doesn't need to be a photo-card one. You can use a paper licence to apply, but in that case you need to present your passport as well (for identity purposes). This is quite important, as holders of a paper licence need an IDP in a number of locations where the paper licence isn't recognised, but a photo-card one is.

(I know it works, 'cos I have a paper licence, and an IDP).

I may be wrong, but I've always understood that an IDP is not valid on its own anyway, and should always be accompanied by the original licence.

Archived