How do i attach photo`s

steveandlisa

steveandlisa - 2022-04-19 9:14 AM

Hi folks,

Could someone explain to me in idiot proof language how to attach photo`s :$ I know this question has been asked before but i can`t find the link to it :$

Signed embarrassed :$

With great difficulty, this has to be one of the worst forums on the net to post a picture on IMO.

I usually give up after spending 15 minutes trying to reduce a photo's size whilst still retaining the detail that you're trying to provide by posting the photo.

I find it easier to host the photo on something like Google drive, share it to all and then include the link in the post, but of course if the photo is deleted or moved subsequently then it is no longer available in the post should someone refer to.

You can understand why there is a size limit but I do agree that it needs to be increased somewhat to make everyone's life easier.

In the Forum User Guide's FAQ section there is information ("Uploading a file or image") offering guidance on attaching files to a posting.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Code-of-Conduct-and-User-Guidelines/Forum-User-Guide/Forums-FAQ/3930/

As I've said innumerable times, the software underlying these free-to-use forums is now 16 years old and is little different from when the forums were created. The 100KB file size limit could have been increased along the way (in fact forum members with Moderator privileges have a 200KB limit for some unknown reason) but a really large increase would involve an unpredictable software revision. My own 'moderator' 200KB limit makes it easier for me to attach files to my postings, but I often still need to reduce file sizes significantly to get them below 200KB - plus I'm using a desktop Apple Mac that was designed for fiddling about with images.

As many forum members will be aware, the O&AL forums should be moving to a 'new platform' in the very near future. No details have been given about what this actually entails, but when the Practical Caravan/Motorhome forums were moved, the forums' framework remained much the same and the data was transferred en masse. The main change was switching to the Xenforo platform

https://xenforo.com/

which does provide a good word-processor, the ability to attach large files to postings (there are still file-size maxima, but they are pretty big) and lots of 'social media' bells and whistles to love or hate. (Oh yes - and the Moderators have banning powers and are not slow to use them ;-) )

One of the differences between the Out&AboutLive (O&AL) forums and the PracticalCaravan (PC) ones is that the latter have clear and easily understood 'community rules'

https://forums.practicalcaravan.com/threads/practical-caravan-official-community-rules.61826/

A small number (six?) O&AL forum members were given Moderator privileges a few years back specifically so that they could remove the spam postings that were drowning the forums. After the spamming problem had been successfully addressed by a software change, those forum members retained their Moderator privileges - though I think only Keithl and I still use them. On the O&AL forums only the Administrator(s) can 'ban' and, although the PC forums also have Administrators, general day-to-day forum oversight (including 'banning') is carried out by two Moderators who are also forum members. I don't know if the PC forum Moderators always seek permission from the PC forum Administrators before 'banning' someone, or whether they take proactive action if they consider the 'offence' merits it.

Archived