Protective Weatherproof Covers

Machomer

Our motorhome (Autocruise Starfire) is currently in sumer storage however unfortunately the vehicle is positioned under a tree and is starting to get dirty with tree sap and bird droppings. We are trying to decide whether to buy a top cover or a full cover and whether to get a breathable material or a heavy duty vinyl cover ? I have done some limited research and I can see that Maypole and Fiamma do covers. The Maypole top cover does not seem to cover more than the roof whereas the Fiamma seems to pull down further. Any advice much appreciated.

On top of what you've already researched, in the past people have asked a similar question.

It seems that a breathable cover is best as it won't retain any moisture between cover and vehicle.

Protec covers - based in Bradford - also have a range of covers. So you'd be able to do a comparison. They've been trading for a while now.

Hope this info is of help

Our experience of Protec is that we wouldn't buy from them again. Living not too far from Bradford we took our van to their works to be measured by them so we would get a good fit. When the cover arrived the fit was awful being much too large particularly to the front. Protec sent a team over to our house to look and they agreed that the fit was poor. They marked the cover in situ and took it away to be modified. When it was returned the fit was better but not, still, what we'd call good. As this process had taken weeks and weeks we gave up and put it all down to experience. Also, be aware that the poles they supply for lifting the cover ove rthe van are actually rather flexible telescopic curtain poles that flex alarmingly and were, certainly, not designed for the job.

FD

I agree that a breathable cover is the way to go as a plastic sheet will trap moisture against the roof and walls, and I wouldn't be without my Protec cover.

I took my motorhome to Protec for measuring as it has an airconditioner and a satellite antenna on the roof. It was quickly measured, I was shown round the workshop and given a very good price and wheel covers thrown in. The cover was delivered in 2 weeks and has been excellent with the motorhome remaining dry and clean over the winter. My van is 7.4m long so the cover is large and quite heavy, but with the supplied poles it is a straightforward task for my wife and me to fit it.

Like any cover it needs protection where there are sharp corners (sat antenna and reversing camera), so sponge rubber and carpet are easy to use and essential to stop wear on the soft lining of the cover.

Dick

DickB - 2022-05-04 11:29 PM

I agree that a breathable cover is the way to go as a plastic sheet will trap moisture against the roof and walls, and I wouldn't be without my Protec cover.

I took my motorhome to Protec for measuring as it has an airconditioner and a satellite antenna on the roof. It was quickly measured, I was shown round the workshop and given a very good price and wheel covers thrown in. The cover was delivered in 2 weeks and has been excellent with the motorhome remaining dry and clean over the winter. My van is 7.4m long so the cover is large and quite heavy, but with the supplied poles it is a straightforward task for my wife and me to fit it.

Like any cover it needs protection where there are sharp corners (sat antenna and reversing camera), so sponge rubber and carpet are easy to use and essential to stop wear on the soft lining of the cover.

Dick

I'm more than pleased that your experience was better than ours. Below is a photo of our bespoke, made to measure, cover as originally supplied. Protec also carefully measured the position of the electric hook up connector so that they could get the access flap in the correct position. A photo of that as supplied is below as well. The cover was originally measured by Protec and ordered on 14 November 2019. It was, finally, delivered to us on 16 January 2020. After raising the problems with it with Protec within a couple of days they, finally, came to look at it and took it away with them on 5 February 2020 it being returned to us (only after we threatened to ask for our money back) on 14 February 2020. Rather longer than 2 weeks......!!

1086291357_Cover1compress.jpg.1df8c5f5fd8c50d5e91da94e24beff51.jpg

218935364_Cover5compress.jpg.fd306e2732979c9e1f29f24b22a6a7c2.jpg

Archived