Post Brexit roaming charges

ham

Seeing the reports, that some mobile phone companies are now going to Charge for roaming.

Others not charging but putting a fare use policy in place most to a limit of 12gb.

any one taken out a short contract within the The Eu?

We will soon be departing for France and Spain. and considering checking out the mobile shops on line and in Calais to see what they offer.

Reglo in France seems to get a good write up by members of motorhomer. Purchase at leclerc. Follow this link for info.

https://motorhomer.com/threads/wi-fi-when-abroad.44941/page-3#post-252492

Lobster.es is another option. It Is an English speaking Spanish network, seems good but no experience and only available in a few outlets or to a Spanish address.

Davy

Sky Mobile now charging £2 for 24hr roaming. But, you're not capped. You can use your monthly allowance, buy more, or use whatever is stored in your rollover piggy bank.

In France in June/July we used Camping-Car Parks which include free wi-fi for most of our days and used Sky for the days with no wi-fi.

Not sure if this helps but... I've been using Three for a number of years placing their sim in a Huawei mifi. Simplicity itself as there was no need to change the APN in the Huawei. Cost was about £25 for 20gb if I remember correctly.

However Three have now taken advantage of Brexit and reneged on the promise they will not revert to their old way ways and now have a miserly data allowance per day etc. (Note MrJohnson, while you are also on another foreign holiday enjoying the benefits of Brexit)

Anyway, rant over and it's time to change - looked around and enquired of Lebara who tell me there are no additional chages within the EU for an unlimited data allowance at £25 per month. They also supplied me with their APN - and it works fine in the UK. I've opted for auto renew, can top up anytime, and can cancel anytime with no contract.

We don't depart until the 19th September so we'll see if a) it works in France b) There are no limitations on data & finally c) if there are any daily charges.

If others are interested I'll report back when in France ( if it works that is!!)

derek500 - 2022-08-18 10:42 AM

Sky Mobile now charging £2 for 24hr roaming. But, you're not capped. You can use your monthly allowance, buy more, or use whatever is stored in your rollover piggy bank.

In France in June/July we used Camping-Car Parks which include free wi-fi for most of our days and used Sky for the days with no wi-fi.

Recent experience suggests that you would be well advised to check the "small print" on the above. We recently "auditioned" the providers with shops within comfortable reach of home, with a view to changing phones and provider.

From memory two had similar clauses to that which you mention, but when pressed admitted that their definition of roaming was the it commenced as soon as your phone picked up a foreign transmitter, and continued unbroken until it next picked up a UK transmitter, and that the charge would apply for the whole of that period irrespective of whether the phone was on or off, and irrespective of whether or not it had been used! As we have two phones, that would amount to £4 per day for any period that our phones had picked up a foreign mast only terminating when the next picked up a UK mast. My response was along the lines of "on yer bike"!

We eventually ended up with Tesco mobile, who sold us a couple of Samsung phones for cash, and had a number of contracts with good data allowances at favourable prices and unlimited talk and text use, all of which were usable while roaming (on a quite clear and acceptable to us fair usage policy). How long this will last will depend on O2, on whose network Tesco piggy-backs.

So, maybe worth a look?

Brian Kirby - 2022-08-18 12:48 PM

derek500 - 2022-08-18 10:42 AM

Recent experience suggests that you would be well advised to check the "small print" on the above. We recently "auditioned" the providers with shops within comfortable reach of home, with a view to changing phones and provider.

From memory two had similar clauses to that which you mention, but when pressed admitted that their definition of roaming was the it commenced as soon as your phone picked up a foreign transmitter, and continued unbroken until it next picked up a UK transmitter, and that the charge would apply for the whole of that period irrespective of whether the phone was on or off, and irrespective of whether or not it had been used! As we have two phones, that would amount to £4 per day for any period that our phones had picked up a foreign mast only terminating when the next picked up a UK mast. My response was along the lines of "on yer bike"!

We eventually ended up with Tesco mobile, who sold us a couple of Samsung phones for cash, and had a number of contracts with good data allowances at favourable prices and unlimited talk and text use, all of which were usable while roaming (on a quite clear and acceptable to us fair usage policy). How long this will last will depend on O2, on whose network Tesco piggy-backs.

So, maybe worth a look?

Sky's £2 kicks in when 10mb of data is used, a voice call is made or a text is sent. Of course you need to switch roaming off in the settings until you need it. We used just four days when we were in France in May/June and were charged the £8 expected.

Sky piggy-backs O2 and the charge was introduced the beginning of May. Tesco just say EU Roaming for 2022. Bit of a pain if you take out a 24 month contract and you don't get free EU Roaming from 2023.

When we enquired to EE about mine and my wife’s phone, they said my roaming mine was free as on old contract and the wife’s as on newer contract could take out a months roaming for £10 or £2 per day. So cost us £20 for the 2 months which seemed good we thought. :-)

Derek

derek500 - 2022-08-19 9:08 AM

Sky piggy-backs O2 and the charge was introduced the beginning of May. Tesco just say EU Roaming for 2022. Bit of a pain if you take out a 24 month contract and you don't get free EU Roaming from 2023.

True, but I only signed up for 12 months - so we'll wait to see whether we'll renew in '23. Ultimately, they'll probably all eventually introduce roaming charges, it's just the weasel words and unspoken little sub-clauses in the contracts that irk - because they know that if they spelled it all out clearly in the first place, many of them would lose business to their competitors.

For what it is worth, I have been told by both O2 and EE that roaming is included in my standard contract. The phrase they both used was, "Roam like Home"

Both contracts existed before Brexit and thus predate any changes. What any new contract would look like I do not know.

Both my wife and I have iD Mobile pay monthly contracts, and we can both use our data allowances in the EU the same as at home. Calls to home and within the EU also are in the allowance. I pay £10/month for 40Gb and any unused gets rolled over to the following month. I reckon they are a very good deal.

Dick Brodie

DickB - 2022-08-21 9:07 PM

Both my wife and I have iD Mobile pay monthly contracts, and we can both use our data allowances in the EU the same as at home. Calls to home and within the EU also are in the allowance. I pay £10/month for 40Gb and any unused gets rolled over to the following month. I reckon they are a very good deal.

Dick Brodie

Not bad, but it appears you have to pay a £2.56 surcharge for each additional Gb you use over part of your allowance. e.g. on a £10 per month contract the surcharge kicks in at 7.72Gb (charged at 0.25p for each additional 1Mb).

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy

There's always a catch!

• 2 weeks later...

With my 40Gb monthly allowance, which costs £10, I never get close to any "fair use" limit. If one gets near the limit, which only kicks in if iD think you are using more abroad than at home, then they do contact you. Assuming one uses the allowance at home, then being away for a month or so, the limit under EU rules, there doesn't seem to be much likelihood of falling foul of the limit. In nearly 4 weeks in France and Germany I have 66Gb remaining from the balance brought forward.

Dick

Brian,

Commiserate with the "poor" people who happen to live in N Ireland close to the Irish Republic border. I have been on holiday on the Northern Ireland north coast during the last 4 weeks and I received a number of roaming messages from Vodafone. I am at least 25 road miles from the Irish Republic! However the mobile transmitter masts are generally much taller in the Republic than in N Ireland and the signals from the Irish Republic transmitters are therefore generally much more powerful than those in N Ireland. The nearest Donegal transmitter is less than 10 nautical miles from the campsite where I am staying and the sea is flat (at least reasonably so)!

This is a general problem in all Northern Irish border areas.

Vodafone has a special all Ireland tariff but that is considerably more expensive than the standard tariff.

Another Brexit benefit!

The message is shop around but watch out for the small print and bear in mind that companies keep changing those.

If they think they will get away with it they WILL rip you off.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived