Calor Gas

Grumpyman

Just spent an awful amount buying a almost new M//H. On asking the question does it come with propane gas bottles the answer was no. Has any tried to get these without having one to swap. Its neigh on impossible anyway after many hours searching Suffolk and Norfolk managed to get a Flogas

And a Calor at price. Surely dealers should supply these when selling a Motorhome. This well known dealer has stock but only for like for like.

Flogas are dearer than Calor now - used to be cheaper.

So people like me have switched to Calor and are using our cylinders.

I don't suppose the motorhome dealer can get cylinders any easier than you.

And he would have to charge for them - which people like me would resent as we already have cylinders.

I got mine from the recycling centre by slipping the guy a few quid

But last time I went in he said he couldn't do it any more because they had got CCTV. :-S

You can usually get them at car boot sales or on ebay, problem is you have to fetch them as they can't be posted.

In 15 yrs since getting our first Van I've never used any UK gas apart from the 2 bottles that came with the van. On our first trip to France we went without either just took a adaptor and bought 2 bottles at the first Supermarket we came to half the price of UK gas and still is always coming home with one full one enough to last for any van use while at home. They even have installed self service at unmanned service stations now so gas bottles avail 24/7

As Witzend, I have given up with UK gas companies and now have 2 Butagaz Propane Le Cubes, which i can buy 24/7 at a supermarket in France. I have retained one full 9Kg Calor cylinder as a safeguard for UK use.

We are not heavy gas users - mainly cooking and very occasionally fridge, so this set up suits us.

Jeremy

I advertised a full Calor Lite on fleabay a few weeks ago at a very sensible price, certainly less than you would have paid at a dealer. There were dozens of others advertised , obviously spread out around the country. Mine took 3 weeks to sell, I was even thinking of reducing the price. I have seen plenty of the standard 6kg bottles and even some lites in the cages at CAMC sites in the last month...

So there are cylinders around.......

John52 - 2022-08-26 2:30 PM

Tintent115 - 2022-08-26 10:42 AM

So there are cylinders around.......

yes because you don't get your money back if you return them.

I have a couple of flogas cylinders waiting to see if their refill charges become competitive again

Yes, Calor are offering "25% to 70%" of the price of a cylinder rental agreement at a limited number of outlets and only if you have the correct paperwork. Unsurprisingly they have created too many hoops to jump through ( who can find the paperwork for a cylinder thats been in the garage or shed for a few years - very few people I suspect). And 25 to 70%, guess what the retailer is going to offer? Calor need a reality check....!

Deffheads - 2022-08-27 2:16 PM

Go Safefill bottles, they are expensive but if you use a lot of gas the savings soon add up. Same fittings as Calor propane and refillable at many LPG stations including Morrisons, cost per litre 80 pence upwards.

Or get a tank fitted, a once only then cheap gas from then on. Best thing on mine apart from the levelling jacks :D

With the possibility of power cuts looming when 'tis bloomin cold perhaps now is not the best time to get rid of old gas bottles?

Maybe better to get 'em refilled and sort out that old camping gas burner, regulator and tube - just in case - 'cos you can bet your life that it will be easier now rather than if the dreaded day comes and the usual public panic buying mode takes over the nation once again?

A smartphone may be useful but it don't boil a kettle or make toast - yet!

Paranoid - nope!

Optimistic - nope!

Pessimistic - nope!

Realistic - yup?

Tracker - 2022-09-04 4:59 PM

With the possibility of power cuts looming when 'tis bloomin cold perhaps now is not the best time to get rid of old gas bottles?

Maybe better to get 'em refilled and sort out that old camping gas burner, regulator and tube - just in case - 'cos you can bet your life that it will be easier now rather than if the dreaded day comes and the usual public panic buying mode takes over the nation once again?

A smartphone may be useful but it don't boil a kettle or make toast - yet!

Paranoid - nope!

Optimistic - nope!

Pessimistic - nope!

Realistic - yup?

This is where those who have invested in solar and BEV's with V2L (or better still V2H/V2G) will benefit.

colin - 2022-09-04 6:28 PM

This is where those who have invested in solar and BEV's with V2L (or better still V2H/V2G) will benefit.

Why complicate it - even assuming it all works as it should - it is a heck of a cost to achieve - as well as a leap of faith.

You could always boil a kettle and make toast in the van I suppose - even sleep in the van - assuming you have gas!

Yes for those of us with a van it's no problem at all, in fact a few years back when our local electric supply was not so good it was not unusual for us to cook in the van, heating has never been a problem as we mainly run on wood burner.

Meanwhile those with the setup I mentioned might not even know there's a power cut.

Meanwhile those with the setup I mentioned might not even know there's a power cut.

Until they try to use a BEV with a flat battery - just have to hope it is not urgent!

Power cuts being what they are usually happen when it's very cold, very icy, very wet and/or very windy and I prefer to be indoors - that apart we no longer have a van to retreat into so that might well be the deciding factor!

colin - 2022-09-05 8:35 AM

Why would the BEV have a flat battery, it will be set to discharge to a minimum level leaving enough to keep it going for any expected use. You need to keep up with stuff.

This may surprise you, but most people are aware of the range limitatons and lack of readily available charging points for BEVs, plus the time factor even if you are lucky enough to find a charge point that is both working and available - regardless of the very high price per KWH of these 'convenient' charge points.

You do not state how far a 'minimum level' of charge might take you but I suspect not very far. I have no such range limitations with my hybrid car, so thanks, but no thanks, I'll stick with what I know works rather than spend my money indulging the government's fantasy about the reality of BEVs.

As you may have guessed, I am no admirer of BEV's in their current format. I see it as a convenient stop gap for governments to try to look as if they care about emissions whilst passing the actual cost onto the end user. Very clever idea of smoke and mirrors.

There is much life yet in ICE - it's just a case of getting the right fuel - hydrogen or whatever else combustible - but at the moment it is easier to try and foist BEVs on us all.

Yet another politically motivated solution to an engineering problem.

laimeduck - 2022-09-05 10:50 AM

BEV?

ICE?

V2L?

Are these drinks? (G&T?)

Steady on with the jargon chaps!

And what have they got to do with Calor gas?

Calor Gas and power cuts have a complementary association as I said earlier - before Colin muddied the waters - well it does for us as it gives us a cheap means of being more comfortable whilst powerless!

Colin is the 'expert' on BEVs (battery electric vehicles) it appears, although whether he is one of the gullible few who has bought one remains unknown!

ICE goes with many drinks or can be 'infernal combustion engine'.

As for V2L I have no idea - vehicle to loonatic maybe - ask Colin!!

VAT is also a drink!

Always happy to help!

malc d - 2022-09-05 3:22 PM

With the faith that the government has in the future of electric vehicles - I do wonder if the Army will be using them.

;-)

Like any operation they will invest in equipment to suit the task, to this end they have already purchased £10m of hybrid Jackal's and Foxhound's.

https://www.army.mod.uk/media/17010/british-army-approach-to-battlefield-electrification.pdf

colin - 2022-09-05 4:46 PM

Like any operation they will invest in equipment to suit the task, to this end they have already purchased £10m of hybrid Jackal's and Foxhound's.

Good idea - less 'exhaust' - cheaper to run - can I get a hybrid Border Collie to take me walkies please!

colin - 2022-09-05 4:46 PM

malc d - 2022-09-05 3:22 PM

With the faith that the government has in the future of electric vehicles - I do wonder if the Army will be using them.

;-)

https://www.army.mod.uk/media/17010/british-army-approach-to-battlefield-electrification.pdf

It seems they have very wisely taken into account the unreliability of power supplies ( especially in a war ) and are going for Hybrids.

It would be interesting to know the situation of all-electric car owners in Eastern Ukraine - I wonder how often they can use their cars.

:-|

Archived