drivers seat alignment

niggle

The thick plottens!

As I posted above, the seat in my van appears to have perfect geometry. Aligned square and centrally on the seat box when driving.

Sitting idly this morning before going for a walk, I played with it. The turntable appears to work symmetrically, but it doesn't. Rotated to the rear, the seat is offset from the seat box, an inch or so to the right. In addition, it cannot go parallel, but is obstructed at a slight angle by the underlying mechanism (and it doesn't lock swivelled.)

I'm not sure it goes any further to explaining things, but it's a bit of a coincidence (the passenger seat action mirrors the driver's).

A GOOGLE-search on "motorhome offset seat swivel" will show that this type of turntable is commonplace. This YouTube video explains the reasons for having an offset 'pivot'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRGNDcJNhVk

Even if a turntable with an offset pivot is fitted, when the seat is facing forwards and the turntable's lock engaged, the seat should not be askew.

19 minutes ago, niggle said:

Both seat swivels appear to be genuine items fitted by roller team

So you need to take the matter up with RT and not Fiat.

Have you tried fitting the seat without a swivel? That may then point the issue as a Fiat problem, but...

Hi

As Keith has asked was it a factory fit? or converter fit? (Fiat sticker may not be a genuine Fiat part ). Some of the turntables I am afraid are not always an exact fit (adjustment hole slots)  and therefore need sometimes just a little bit of adjustment to fit properly

Just out of interest have you found any problem with any other seat in any other vehicle  

Great to see you have the issue resolved 

Regards 

This 2020 MHFun discussion may be of interest despite the swivel-related problem not being the same as Niggle's.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fiat-ducato-swivel-seat-problem.222313/

It is quite possible that (as mentioned on the MHFun thread) a Fiat Professional agency may initially contend that the swivel turntable is not an original equipment (OE) Fiat part, or was retrofitted by the motorhome manufacturer during the conversion phase.

I have looked at a number of recent-ish on-line videos showing Ducato-based coachbuilt motorhomes being constructed and - where the original cab is being retained and the motorhome clearly has swivelling cab seats - those seats are in place right from the start. As Rapido said on the MHFun thread, the swivel turntables are a Fiat Part and already in the Ducato cab when the 'chassis' is received by the converter.

I assume Niggle is confident that his motorhome's seat-swivels are genuine Fiat OE parts because they carry a label similar to this (for a battery cover in this instance)

image.jpeg.11be8b7f3f05624865c6d673ae279dc3.jpeg

If a Fiat Professional agent doubted the swivels' parentage, using the data on the labels should confirm the swivels' originality.

(I don't know what state the seats are in when the Ducato chassis arrives at the converter's factory. As a buyer will normally have a choice for the fabric and/or colour of the motorhome's upholstery, I would not expect the seats to be fully 'pre-upholstered' when the chassis turns up. I seem to remember that the upholstery of the cab seats of my 2015 Ducato-based Rapido comprised tight fitting covers, rather than being traditionally stitched in place. So - unless there were a need to unbolt the seats complete with their swivels to (say) install equipment or a battery in the space beneath - the seats could stay in place from chassis-delivery-to-converter to the time that the completed motorhome left the factory.)

Hi

As Keith has asked was it a factory fit? or converter fit? . Some of the turntables I am afraid are not always an exact fit (adjustment hole slots)  and therefore need sometimes just a little bit of adjustment to fit properly

Just out of interest have you found any problem with any other seat in any other vehicle  

Great to see you have the issue resolved 

Regards 

This afternoon I decided to fully check alignment of the seats in our x250 ( AFAIK the same seats and bases are still used).

At first glance I thought I had previously wrongly said they where inline as they appeared to be quite some way out of alignment, but centring the steering wheel and they appeared to be more facing straight ahead, I double checked this putting both seats in same position fore and aft, and it was then obvious the seats where squarely aligned.

I then checked the side to side alignment, first I found the centreline of dash (the centre console is not in centre) and measured to the centre of steering wheel, next measured centre of seat from centre of cab. The result is the centreline of seat is within a couple of mm of centreline of steering wheel.

I note the reference to slotted holes, my swivels, which AFAIK are Fiat items, don't have slotted holes. picture below.

Fiat swivel.jpg

Hi Colin,

So many different providers of same, I have come across quite a few with slotted holes for alignment and of course quite a few with just holes. It was an issue from suppliers some years  ago (swivel alignment for Left and Right hand drive)   

Adjustment was all that was needed 

Regards 

1 minute ago, onecal said:

Hi Colin,

So many different providers of same, I have come across quite a few with slotted holes for alignment and of course quite a few with just holes. It was an issue from suppliers some years  ago (swivel alignment for Left and Right hand drive)   

Adjustment was all that was needed 

Regards 

The reason I mentioned 'slotted holes' was the OP believes his swivel is a Fiat item, I think if it has slotted holes it will be aftermarket.

This link is to a Motorhome Depot advert for a 2019 Roller Team Zefiro 696.

https://www.motorhomedepot.com/vehicle/rollerteam-zefiro-696-4-berth-island-bed-motorhome-for-sale

It's apparent from the photos in the advert that the seat swivels are the Fiat OE ones, and it looks like the seats are also the ones Fiat provides as OE for Ducato chassis destined to become coachbuilt motorhomes.

As Niggle swapped the seat swivels and the misalignment did not change, this leaves the possibility that - in the case of his motorhome - it's the driver's seat itself that's the culprit not the swivel.

4 hours ago, onecal said:

True, , it happens  Glad he has it resolved and has some comfort driving it again 

As far as I'm aware, the cause of the motorhome's seat misalignment problem has yet to be pinned down.

Niggle will be progressing the matter with Fiat and it's anybody's guess how they will respond.

Archived