New website problem

Barryd999

Question

I tried to find a support or bugs section but there isnt one so posting this here in the hope and admin will see it. For some reason just now I am now getting a side bar on the right taking up almost nearly half the page. Its really annoying. Been through profile settings etc and cant find a way to turn it off. Does anyone know how to?

screenshot_2241.jpg

20 answers to this question

On 11/3/2022 at 2:29 PM, Barryd999 said:

For some reason just now I am now getting a side bar on the right taking up almost nearly half the page. Its really annoying. Been through profile settings etc and cant find a way to turn it off. Does anyone know how to?

Try putting your page zoom up to 125%

The 420 UK websites currently based on the Invision Community platform are listed here (including the O&AL forums)

https://trends.builtwith.com/websitelist/Invision-Power-Board/United-Kingdom

I haven't looked at every one of them (!!!) but those that I have accessed all have the 'side-bar' Barry so much dislikes. The many forums based on the Xenforo platform (eg. the Practical Caravan forums) also have the side-bar.

I don't view this as a problem. The side-bar is just a standard feature of these platforms and - as far as I'm concerned - not worth attempting to alter.

Although narrowing the window (as PaulD suggests above) shifts the side-bar to the foot of the webpage, it also removes useful material (eg. the Search option) from the top of the webpage.

There are other more beneficial modifications that could be made to improve what has essentially become a fairly easy to use (and free to use) motorhome forum. (I spit on Chatterbox...)  

Its the space thats the issue for me, not the content.  It really needs a setting to toggle it on or off which is what you would normally get on a modern forum.  Or even just an expand or retract chevron at the side so you can just click on it and hide it or bring back.  That would be better.

Similarly reducing the screen size on my21" PC to around 19" gets rid of it too.

I don't know where it went, it just went!!

That said on a 21" screen it is not nuisance enough to have to mess about altering the screen size just for the forum!.

Many thanks Paul for the speedy support, much appreciated.

35 minutes ago, witzend said:

Well I had one right at the beginning so turned it off never seen it since can't remember how now though  

Oh, I didn't know you could do that - If I find out I will let everyone know how to.

Thanks for the speedy response Paul.

Yes just reducing the size of the window my a centimetre does it in my browser. So just not quite maximised but  it may as well be. In fact my window must have been like that for a while as this side bar only appeared today.  I can live with that.

I should also mention that a missing bugs or support thread is an oversight on our part, sorry again.

I will seek appropriate permissions and when I get the go ahead, will get a support or bug-report section added ASAP.

Thank you for a great suggestion.

Paul

Hi,

I understand there is an issue here, but it will be a tricky one to fix. Because the same page has to load on devices from large PC screens to tiny mobile screens, it is standard to use the viewport width to adjust the layout. I think a 15inch screen is large enough to add the sidebar, but small enough where the sidebar width feels intrusive.

If you make your window just a bit thinner, the sidebar disappears to the bottom of the screen. I understand on your 15" laptop this is not ideal, but perhaps altering your window size might help in the short term. 

In the longer term, we will see what we can do with the styling and break point access we do have, although I am a little nervous to play with this on the live site. I think we may need to get Invision support to help us to adjust those just to make sure we don't introduce any unwanted side effects.

In the meantime, I am sorry for your poor user experience, we will try to address this ASAP.

Best wishes,

Paul. 

I use a 15" laptop and I have the text fairly large. Its ridiculous. There must be a way to toggle it off. There doesn't even seem to be a reporting option on this site either.  Well  there is but it just says i dont have permission to use it.

Ive reported it in my own post.

Archived