Starting 2014 Ducato at -5 °C in Canada

Joe T

Hello guys and girls! I have a fiat Ducato 115 multijet 2014 model! Just got it shipped from the uk to canada to do a winter season in the Canadian rockies!

It’s about -5 at night at the mo and in the morning she does not like to start! Takes up to 5 minutes sometimes! The battery is fine! She ticks over but just doesn’t catch!

so I’ve ruled out goo pigs as it’s not showing on the dash! It’s not the battery as it also doesn’t show and she does eventually start!
I’ve added some injector cleaner to the tank and even the diesel filter! 
Once it’s started it goes like a dream, but I’m worried for when it starts to get really cold!

Im hoping that if I get the diesel and air filter cleaned  that this will make the difference, or is it just the fact that these models are not made for a Canadian winter!

Help/advice anyone 🙏

Hi Colin! It’s got low sulphur diesel in it and whatever other diesel they have here in Canada!

it does eventually start but it takes quite a while and yes I agree -5 shouldn’t be an issue! 

im thinking Diesel and air filters as there are no blockages anywhere! However I can’t get the diesel pump anywhere I Canada! 
would cleaning the diesel pump and air filter, then refitting them be possible?

If you don't know when it was last done, it would be worth you checking the condition of the air filter and replacing it if it looks dirty.

The 2.0litre 115 Multijet powerplant was used in a variety of Fiat Group cars as well as in Ducato. The underbonnet layout (shown in attached drawing for a left-hand drive vehicle) differs somewhat from that of Ducatos having the larger 'commercial' 2.3litre motors and I'm not sure how easy it is to replace the air filter. Similarly for the fuel filter - my 2015 Ducato with 2.3litre motor had a 'disposable' metal canister-type fuel filter located near the right-hand top corner in the drawing. This could not be cleaned and, if yours is the same and you don't know when it was last changed, it would be wise to replace it.

If checking/replacing the air and fuel filters does not cure the starting problem, then you can think about the fuel pump.

ducato 115.png

• Keithl changed the title to Starting 2014 Ducato at -5 °C in Canada

Personally I wouldn't remove anything including pumps screw on filters until I had the new replacement too hand or was readily available, until I have eliminated all the other possibilities not requiring removal or dismantling first. Clip on air filter cover and tightening up obviously loose components and the like excepted.

Never surprises me how many times removed seals don't seal when replaced.

If once started it works well I don't think it is the pump, filter or any part related to the fuel flow.

More likely something related to the injectors.

As far as I know, on common-rail mechanics the preheating of the chamber is no longer necessary.

Although it is a good idea to give him time to finish this process.

To be sure that the temperature is the source of the problem, couldn't you take it to a warm place, for example to a repair shop and try there?

To be honest, I have always advised against bringing a motorhome based on a European commercial vehicle to North America where, as far as I know, 90% is unknown and spare parts maybe available only on the internet. Perhaps the exceptions are the Mercedes Sprinters and only the most recent ones.

4 hours ago, weldted said:

If the oil pressure is low on start up it may be it wont allow you to increase the revs till the oil pressure increases

This could be worth investigating if oils thick on start up it'll take a while getting to the valves which need a good pressure to operate you'd probably need 0w or 5w/30 for that climate  

12 hours ago, mtravel said:

If once started it works well I don't think it is the pump, filter or any part related to the fuel flow.

More likely something related to the injectors.

As far as I know, on common-rail mechanics the preheating of the chamber is no longer necessary.

Although it is a good idea to give him time to finish this process.

To be sure that the temperature is the source of the problem, couldn't you take it to a warm place, for example to a repair shop and try there?

To be honest, I have always advised against bringing a motorhome based on a European commercial vehicle to North America where, as far as I know, 90% is unknown and spare parts maybe available only on the internet. Perhaps the exceptions are the Mercedes Sprinters and only the most recent ones.

Your 100% right! I didn’t do my homework on that part 

1 minute ago, Joe T said:

Your 100% right! I didn’t do my homework on that part 

If I remember correctly! Once we’d picked up the van from the ferry port we stayed a couple of nights in Halifax where it was considerably warmer, around 10 degrees Celsius and I’m pretty sure that was the first time I noticed it didn’t start very well! 

6 hours ago, witzend said:

This could be worth investigating if oils thick on start up it'll take a while getting to the valves which need a good pressure to operate you'd probably need 0w or 5w/30 for that climate  

Hi witzend! She had a fresh oil change before coming out and the picture below is the oil I used! I will check the oil level again and make sure I’m not loosing any 

11 hours ago, weldted said:

If the oil pressure is low on start up it may be it wont allow you to increase the revs till the oil pressure increases

Hi welted! I just started her on a cold start! She started and sat around 900rpm, I gently touched the accelerator and there es nothing! I put my foot lower until my foot was on the floor and it did nothing for about a minute!

image.jpg

7 hours ago, witzend said:

Hi witzend!

she had a fresh oil change before coming out! I used the oil in the picture 

image.jpg

17 hours ago, Labby said:

If the glow plug/cold start light is not showing on the dash before trying to start the van when cold , as I think it should, it may be that the cold start system is not operating when required and needs checking.

Hi labby! The glow plug light does come on so hoping it’s not the plugs as I’ll have to get them sent over from Europe 

6 hours ago, Joe T said:

Hi labby! The glow plug light does come on so hoping it’s not the plugs as I’ll have to get them sent over from Europe 

If it is a X250 series Fiat Ducato  , apart from the actual glow plugs I think you should find that there is also a glow plug preheating control unit and an engine temperature sensor that are both linked to the engine management system which controls the preheat time on cold starting , so you need to check if power is getting to the plugs for them  to operate when it is very cold and needed .

If you are (as suggested by Robinhood) checking fuse F11 in the under bonnet fuse box it would be worth also checking the large (50amp) fuse FO2 that should also be in there.

It could well be that something has to come into play to protect the engine from low oil pressure, just the same as the revs may be restricted in you press the foot brake whist still in gear. Try just starting it let it idle for a few mins and then try it. Oh for the days when engines had oil pressure gauges

When I open the fuel tank to fill up she doesn’t release any air! 
This should not happen if I’m correct!normally you should hear the sound of air releasing?
could it be that there are air bubbles in the system! Therefore it won’t start until all the air bubbles have gone through and then the motor starts!

also I turned the motor off opened the bonnet and after 20 it gives off a 1 second releasing air noise!

tried to load a video but unfortunately can’t upload it!

Exact details of vehicle are 

Ducato 250, year 2014, 2 litre diesel 115 multijet and it’s a panel van converted into camper 

5 hours ago, Joe T said:

Hi Hans! What’s an OBD

On Board Diagnostic reader to read fault codes stored in the ECU

I think you find the air sound when you remove fuel cap is air going in to replace the fuel removed or I always though it was 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 11:39 PM, Joe T said:

Hello guys and girls! I have a fiat Ducato 115 multijet 2014 model! Just got it shipped from the uk to canada to do a winter season in the Canadian rockies!

It’s about -5 at night at the mo and in the morning she does not like to start! Takes up to 5 minutes sometimes! The battery is fine! She ticks over but just doesn’t catch!

Any luck with sorting This Yet ?

Archived