Full mailbox and log in.

Brian Kirby

Question

I have a couple of problems that I cannot clear.

First, I have a message that my mailbox is full and that therefore I cannot post PM's.  On looking at my mailbox I realise that all mail sent/received over the past 16 years has migrated to the new website!  So yes, it's full!  However, to delete old messages the only means I can find is to highlight each message individually, and then ask to delete them.  Problem is that I can only see a few messages at one time, and the "scroll" facility responds too fast to be able to select successive blocks of messages.  I cannot find a facility to, for instance, select messages by age (i.e., all over "n" years old) or date (i.e., all messages from before "XXX" date).  So, weeding out older messages is not open to me other than more or less one at a time - which would take the rest of this century!  Can you help with this?  What would be useful would be date/time-based selection, allowing all messages from before a set date, or over a certain age, to be automatically selected for deletion.

Second, I have re-registered on the new website with a new username and password, as requested, but when I log in, my old, invalid, username and password invariably appear.  I dutifully enter the new username and password, and check the "remember me" tickbox, but the system has persistent amnesia!  Can this please be cleared so that only the correct log-in details are remembered?

Many thanks

Brian Kirby

12 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Keithl said:

Brian,

I had the same message saying my inbox was full and I had to empty it before I could send a message. I clicked the gear icon and then 'Empty' to delete everything.

Keith.

Yes, thanks Keith.  I saw that option, but want to be able to retain some of the more recent messages for reference.

Brian

Well, I've tried.  I selected 585 messages (all those over 5 years old) to delete, and requested deletion.  Nothing happened.  I repeated three times, each time with no result.  I've now got a repetitive strain injury (for which I may sue Warners :-)), despite which all 585 still seem to be present.  Seriously, there must be a better way, or even a way that works!

Brian

14 minutes ago, Brian Kirby said:

Seriously, there must be a better way, or even a way that works!

Brian

You'd think so wouldn't you? I think the most I managed was two or three at a time beyond which it appeared unable to cope.

You have to get your inbox down below 100% before you can pm so 70 or 80% is ok.

There is an Invision Community (IC) forum where people running forums using the IC platform can discuss problems, improvements, limitations, etc. There are plenty of threads that discuss the IC's PM system, including the overall limit per user, but the IC 'core' platform apparently makes no allowance for what you want to do. 

In the O&AL forums case, any long-term member of the 'old' forum who had used its PM feature regularly over the years, would almost certainly have received a 'full mailbox' message when first trying to PM on the 'new' forum. (I think the size of my PM mailbox was 2246% over the original PM maximum until that was increased.) As everything in my PM mailbox was transitory, I just emptied it as Keith did.

If there's no significant demand for the type of 'smart' editing of a large PM mailbox that you are looking for, adding that feature would cost Warners unless it could be done in-house.

Regarding your user-name problem, I don't recall a NEW username and password being obligatory when a member of the 'old' O&AL forum re-registered on the current IC platform version. I did have difficulty re-registering as "Derek Uzzell",  but that was because that forum account started life in 2006 and carried no email address. Once that omission had been dealt with, I could register on the current forum using the same username and password.

I had 'old forum' alter egos - one of those (with a different email address to my normal one) re-registered OK with no change to username, password or email address being necessary, but the other - that has a different username and password, but the same email address as my "Derek Uzzell" account - would not re-register, selecting the "Derek Uzzell" account instead (which seems to be what is happening to you). The implication, then, is that the email address is critical and the IC platform restricts an email address to a single account.

On 11/20/2022 at 10:01 AM, Derek Uzzell said:

Regarding your user-name problem, I don't recall a NEW username and password being obligatory when a member of the 'old' O&AL forum re-registered on the current IC platform version. I did have difficulty re-registering as "Derek Uzzell",  but that was because that forum account started life in 2006 and carried no email address. Once that omission had been dealt with, I could register on the current forum using the same username and password.

I had 'old forum' alter egos - one of those (with a different email address to my normal one) re-registered OK with no change to username, password or email address being necessary, but the other - that has a different username and password, but the same email address as my "Derek Uzzell" account - would not re-register, selecting the "Derek Uzzell" account instead (which seems to be what is happening to you). The implication, then, is that the email address is critical and the IC platform restricts an email address to a single account.

Thanks Derek, and apologies, as I've only just looked back to this string, as the above problem persists.

Yes, I changed my log-in to include my e-mail address as username, as instructed, but then also updated my password to a somewhat stronger one.  I've tried logging in and setting the "remember me" tickbox, and logging in and cancelling the tick, but in both cases it does not "souvien moi" and demands the full log in routine every time.  Not serious, obviously, just a minor irritant.

I'm also finding the "search" facility puzzling, and have yet to discover how to drive that properly.  It may be a more powerful search tool than that on the old forum - but only if you can work it!!  For instance, what are "tags"?  I'm not seeing anything that resembles a tag (as I understand tags) that associates with posts.

BTW, how's life with no motorhome?  I was a bit surprised to see you back on this forum, as I thought you'd decided to bow out altogether.  Not seller's remorse, surely?  🙂

All the best.

Archived