Chatterbox

Les W

Question

Ive not done any proper google analytics on OAL but at first glance after Motorhome Matters which lets face it was a lot bigger once upon a time Chatterbox has the second highest turnover of threads on this forum. Over half that in total of motorhome Matters. Im not sure what Warners goal is with the forum.  Presumably to drive traffic towards their commercial enterprise.  Dont think its ads as I dont get any but then my ad blocker is properly nailed down.

Either way, killing off a very active section on a forum that appears to be dwindling will only server to move it further down the search engine rankings.

Sadly I think forums have had their day.  For some reason people seem to prefer facebook which I could never fathom out. Probably because they just want an answer to something and are not interested in being part of a community which for me over the years has paid dividends, on here, Facts and the wildies.

28 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Thats it in a nutshell although pretending to be another member by using their real name is identity theft and may result in a lawsuit by the real member with that name to that member and probably Warners. Of course this could just be the humour that you describe! 🤣 See! I added a little smiley there just so everyone knows its a joke (probably).

28 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Thats it in a nutshell although pretending to be another member by using their real name is identity theft and may result in a lawsuit by the real member with that name to that member and probably Warners. Of course this could just be the humour that you describe! 🤣 See! I added a little smiley there just so everyone knows its a joke (probably).

Absolutely . I've always wondered why Autotrail never sued Tracker for copyright when it's blatantly obvious to most of us he's not a real Autotrail Tracker , well not one of the new models anyway 

33 minutes ago, Barry Lineker said:

Seems to me it's the members with a "certain political bias", that are objecting to their Soapbox being removed🤣

It's not been removed but it's clear some either want it removed or want it cleaning up. Let's see how long you last under the new guidelines. 🤣

Barryd999

Looking at the activity on Chatterbox since the O&AL forum was moved to a new platform, it's evident that 5 forum-members have been the dominant participants - Barry Lineker, B Dobson, Bulletguy, John52 and yourself.

The revised stated purpose of the Chatterbox sub-forum is "Chat about anything and everything motorhome, caravanning and camping related...", indicating that the O&AL forum management has now decided to limit the scope of the complete set of O&AL sub-forums to leisure-related subjects.

Rather than seeking to persuade the O&AL management to add an 'off topic' sub-forum, it would be much simpler if Barry Lineker, B Dobson, Bulletguy, and John52 registered and discussed 'off topic' matters on the Motorhome Fruitcakes Forum (MFF)

https://motorhomefruitcakes.freeforums.net/

This has an Off Topic sub-forum ("Discuss anything and everything on here not related to motorhomes") and a Motorhome Chit Chat sub-forum ("Talk about anything remotely motorhome related in here. Just make it up if you like").

As you are the Administrator of the MFF (perhaps the 'owner' too), if Barry Lineker, B Dobson, Bulletguy, and John52 become MFF members, you'll be able to oversee their input and have similar discussions with them as in the past on Chatterbox.

13 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

Barryd999

As you are the Administrator of the MFF (perhaps the 'owner' too), if Barry Lineker, B Dobson, Bulletguy, and John52 become MFF members, you'll be able to oversee their input and have similar discussions with them as in the past on Chatterbox.

But Barry999 doesn't like polictics being discussed "in public" on his website, he much prefers to do it on here, plus he also bans those who don't conform I hear, a bit of a massive hypocrite is our Barry999🤣

Are you aware of any UK motorhome/caravan/camping forums that permit the type of political 'discussions' that have been dominating Chatterbox for the last couple of years? 

The future for O&AL Chatterboxers seems to be to comply with the revised rules, or to ignore the rules (or try to sidle round them) and accept that their posts - and the threads the posts are in - will get removed and that the poster will eventually be banned.

11 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

Are you aware of any UK motorhome/caravan/camping forums that permit the type of political 'discussions' that have been dominating Chatterbox for the last couple of years? 

The future for O&AL Chatterboxers seems to be to comply with the revised rules, or to ignore the rules (or try to sidle round them) and accept that their posts - and the threads the posts are in - will get removed and that the poster will eventually be banned.

Oh I completely agree Derek, there has been far too much negative politics in Chatterbox since 2016, which is why I am pleased Warners have changed their criteria for what is allowed. I intend to do my very best to follow the rules and assist Warners by appointing myself forum snitch😎 

You might consider cutting out the middleman and ask to be awarded Moderator privileges. 

The amount of 'firepower' that can be given to a Moderator on an Invision Community platform is tailorable, so perhaps you could become a ChatMod with moderating powers restricted to just the Chatterbox forum. Then - if you spotted an infraction - you could take direct punitive action rather than snitch.

52 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

Actually Motorhome Facts has a subscribers lounge. Its not visible to guests or junior members and there are a fair few political threads in there.  Most forums I am a member of have such things. Some ban politics, some dont.  Only one problem (Well not for me) of the usual suspects moving to Fruitcakes to carry on their political fun, one of them, the one you just suggested making a moderator (presumably in jest) is banned. 🤣 You have to go some to get banned on there for sure.  Otherwise anyone is welcome there and you can discuss what you like. If I deem it too political ill just move it to the appropriate section where its not visible to guests or members who dont want to see it.

I think you have made your position on Chatterbox clear now. Obviously for years you could discuss anything but now you cant. However you have also made it pointless as its got to be related to motorhomes so you may have well just closed it as anything motorhome related belongs in motorhome matters.

Just ban politics completely if thats what you and the members want.

1 hour ago, Derek Uzzell said:

You might consider cutting out the middleman and ask to be awarded Moderator privileges. 

The amount of 'firepower' that can be given to a Moderator on an Invision Community platform is tailorable, so perhaps you could become a ChatMod with moderating powers restricted to just the Chatterbox forum. Then - if you spotted an infraction - you could take direct punitive action rather than snitch.

Oh I don't think giving me that kind of power is a wise move.

I think just being the forums "Snitch Finder General" will suffice for now😎

On 11/26/2022 at 5:18 PM, Les W said:

Is there some way of blocking/ ignoring the absolute garbage that comes from the pathetic politics obsessed twits that keep posting in this part of the forum?

I click on latest threads and it's full of sad ramblings from there..

There is, simply by not reading it......which begs the question why are you in CB now looking through the threads?

56 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

I believe one or three on Chatterbox get attempts at humour by a few of the members and they respond with further tongue in cheek replies, they get it but of course others dont and it just goes totally over their heads and they then believe it's all so serious when the reality is it isn't . It's mostly a wind up they can't see . 

1 hour ago, Barry Lineker said:

You'd best pm Bulletguy and John52 then, as I suspect the shakes are going to start soon🤣

LOL! Says the man who has the most posts on there out of just about anyone and has been on there all day long for years (albeit before you reinvented yourself).  Even when you were in Spain for months on end you were still on there most of the time.  You maybe should get them to award you a Chatterbox dedication medal before they close it down. 

Maybe ill take Dereks advice but not with Fruitcakes. I could set up a UK politics forum in half a day. £99.99 membership to you my san! No, dont thank me.🤣

7 hours ago, Barryd999 said:

LOL! Says the man who has the most posts on there out of just about anyone and has been on there all day long for years (albeit before you reinvented yourself).  Even when you were in Spain for months on end you were still on there most of the time.  You maybe should get them to award you a Chatterbox dedication medal before they close it down. 

Maybe ill take Dereks advice but not with Fruitcakes. I could set up a UK politics forum in half a day. £99.99 membership to you my san! No, dont thank me.🤣

I think your new politics based forum could have legs Barryd999, Chunky legs seen as it's you . When the new forum goes stratospheric and makes us millions those on here will claim they used to know us before we became fabulously wealthy . Might be nice to try and have a word with Dave Pelmet if anyone's got his number 

13 hours ago, Barryd999 said:

Ive not done any proper google analytics on OAL but at first glance after Motorhome Matters which lets face it was a lot bigger once upon a time Chatterbox has the second highest turnover of threads on this forum. Over half that in total of motorhome Matters. Im not sure what Warners goal is with the forum.  Presumably to drive traffic towards their commercial enterprise.  Dont think its ads as I dont get any but then my ad blocker is properly nailed down.

Either way, killing off a very active section on a forum that appears to be dwindling will only server to move it further down the search engine rankings.

Sadly I think forums have had their day.  For some reason people seem to prefer facebook which I could never fathom out. Probably because they just want an answer to something and are not interested in being part of a community which for me over the years has paid dividends, on here, Facts and the wildies.

The reasons for the O&AL forum's change of platform were explained in October 2022

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/new-outdoor-leisure-forum-launched

Where high levels of activity on the Chatterbox forum are concerned, I'm reminded of this ancient joke

A French Foreign Legion fort in the Sahara desert is being besieged by murderous tribesmen. The commanding officer assembles his men and addresses them.

"Mes braves, I have bad news and good news. The bad news is that we have been surrounded for so long that our food supplies are exhausted and the only thing left to eat is camel dung."

"Mon colonel," asks a legionnaire, "what possible good news can there be?"

"The good news is... there is enough camel dung to last us until a relief column arrives in two months.

Although the O&AL forum's Total Members figure is over 28K, that is merely the number of user-names registered since 2006 and has no bearing on the forum's current 'population' that - I'm reasonably sure - will be in the low hundreds.

The 2006-vintage software driving the original O&AL forum had always lacked a word-processor that worked and user-friendly image handling, and displayed poorly on portable devices - but its underlying principles were effective and it's amazing that it lasted so long.

I've never considered the O&AL forum to be a 'community' and there's little doubt that the Invision Community platform is massively over-featured for the O&AL forum's small size and limited scope. (I'm doubtful over the decision to transfer over 16 years-worth of data, but it may have been simpler to move the lot rather than just (say) the last 5 years of material.) The new platform allows significant modifications/improvements to be made easily at Administrator level, but that's up to Warners. It's early days...

11 hours ago, Barryd999 said:

Maybe the Chatterbox crowd of 3 serial Remoaners (Your self included) could crowdfund it for you?

Perhaps we could even have a competition to give your new forum a name?

Here's my 3 suggestions.

The Daily Moan.com

Brexit ate my Hamster.com

Sado LOSERS R US.com

The last one was inspired by Pelmetman's pet name for the forums Remoaners🤣

2 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

The reasons for the O&AL forum's change of platform were explained in October 2022

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/new-outdoor-leisure-forum-launched

Where high levels of activity on the Chatterbox forum are concerned, I'm reminded of this ancient joke

A French Foreign Legion fort in the Sahara desert is being besieged by murderous tribesmen. The commanding officer assembles his men and addresses them.

"Mes braves, I have bad news and good news. The bad news is that we have been surrounded for so long that our food supplies are exhausted and the only thing left to eat is camel dung."

"Mon colonel," asks a legionnaire, "what possible good news can there be?"

"The good news is... there is enough camel dung to last us until a relief column arrives in two months.

Although the O&AL forum's Total Members figure is over 28K, that is merely the number of user-names registered since 2006 and has no bearing on the forum's current 'population' that - I'm reasonably sure - will be in the low hundreds.

The 2006-vintage software driving the original O&AL forum had always lacked a word-processor that worked and user-friendly image handling, and displayed poorly on portable devices - but its underlying principles were effective and it's amazing that it lasted so long.

I've never considered the O&AL forum to be a 'community' and there's little doubt that the Invision Community platform is massively over-featured for the O&AL forum's small size and limited scope. (I'm doubtful over the decision to transfer over 16 years-worth of data, but it may have been simpler to move the lot rather than just (say) the last 5 years of material.) The new platform allows significant modifications/improvements to be made easily at Administrator level, but that's up to Warners. It's early days...

LOL! 😁

Sadly or depending on how you look at it perhaps not sadly I think they are communities (Forums). People get to know each other, many on some become proper friends.  Diversity from the forums core purpose which in this case is generally motorhoming is inevitable and to restrict that diversity in 2022 will likely result in a forums demise. As I said, they are all in decline anyway.  You just need to go and look at any of them now and most of the threads are off topic. Even Phils brilliant wildcamping.co.uk seems to have morphed into a Bikers forum to an extent but here's the thing. Those members interests are retained and they will quickly jump on a motorhome related question if one comes up. I find that on Facts also.  I look through motorhome Matters most days on here but there is very little I feel I can contribute to as it seems to be a bit slow in turnover of threads. However I wont look at it at all if I cease to use the forum.

You might be right about Chatterbox though. It has become a political Pee taking soapbox but if a forum is to survive these days I think it needs to have a bit of a soul and a regular set of members who are attached to it and who keep it going. Without them it will die.

I believe this thread will have provided plenty of useful feed-back for the Warners staff to mull over.

(Might be a good idea for this discussion to be frozen now as it is showing symptoms of the Chatterbox-22 disease.)

Best disinfect your keyboard immediately, as it's highly contagious🤣

I believe this thread will have provided plenty of useful feed-back for the Warners staff to mull over.

(Might be a good idea for this discussion to be frozen now as it is showing symptoms of the Chatterbox-22 disease.)

Agreed and frozen.

Archived