Chatterbox

Les W

Question

There have been complaints to the admins about the inappropriate posts on CB and in particular several posters trading insults. 

As a result the title has been changed and only posts relevant to the overall forum that do not readily fit in the other more defined areas will be tolerated. eg The French food thread but with insulting comments removed.

If you do not agree with the new look then please feel free to complain the administrator.

There is an "Ignored Users" option in your forum Profile, but that applies forum-wide and would not target just Chatterbox posters.

The Chatterbox forum was never intended to be a political soapbox, but its present content is apparently considered acceptable by the O&AL forum Administrators provided that it does not become slanderous/ obscene or really, really offensive.

If you don't like it, complain to Daniel Attwood - though I doubt it will help. I used to regularly moan to Daniel about Chatterbox when I was a forum Moderator, but it was a waste of time. 

9 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

There is an "Ignored Users" option in your forum Profile, but that applies forum-wide and would not target just Chatterbox posters.

The Chatterbox forum was never intended to be a political soapbox, but its present content is apparently considered acceptable by the O&AL forum Administrators provided that it does not become slanderous/ obscene or really, really offensive.

If you don't like it, complain to Daniel Attwood - though I doubt it will help. I used to regularly moan to Daniel about Chatterbox when I was a forum Moderator, but it was a waste of time. 

Did you prefer it when it was just a echo chamber for Tweddledum & Tweedledumber?

I actually feel (a tiny bit) sorry for the numbskulls that think their political opinions are in some way important or of interest.

When I log onto the forum, and select 'Unread Content' I would rather not see the inane ramblings of these dimwits.

It is possible to prevent Chatterbox entries from appearing in an "Unread Content" list.

If you go into the Unread Content 'control panel', entries in the list can be restricted to specific forums  using the "Content ..." option.

image.png.e8862e3de79ff2a77c3c1fb0add70d91.png

After you've made changes, you will need to click on the "Stream Options" button and set your modified choices as the default stream.

The stated purpose of the various Out&AboutLive forums has (in my opinion) always been tainted with 'journalism'. 

Rather than Chatterbox's just revised statement of purpose, I suggest instead

Chat about motohome, caravan or camping subjects that do not fit into any of the other forums

This should prevent any potential confusion. 

4 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

The stated purpose of the various Out&AboutLive forums has (in my opinion) always been tainted with 'journalism'. 

Rather than Chatterbox's just revised statement of purpose, I suggest instead

Chat about motohome, caravan or camping subjects that do not fit into any of the other forums

This should prevent any potential confusion. 

And that is the opposite of what the new Chatterbox is supposed to be for as stated above?

Just call it off topic like most forums.

Clearly the issue here is politics. 

It seems to upset some people, yet I have never understood this on forums, you create a separate section supposedly for everything and anything or for regular users to have a bit of banter and a laugh but those who dont want to take part can just ignore it (As you have shown them how to) but they still want it removed, tamed or heavily censored and clearly politics should not be discussed.

My theory is if you dont like it, dont look at it or read it. It seems bizarre that people object to stuff they dont like and dont have to read on a public forum.

22 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Isn't that what motorhome Matters is for?

Just as the other two sub-forums already present do.....Caravan Chat and Tent Talk.

So now the "new" Chatterbox covers all those.......it makes the current Motorhome Matters, Caravan Chat, and Tent Talk sections redundant! 

1 hour ago, Keithl said:

There have been complaints to the admins about the inappropriate posts on CB and in particular several posters trading insults. 

As a result the title has been changed and only posts relevant to the overall forum that do not readily fit in the other more defined areas will be tolerated. eg The French food thread but with insulting comments removed.

If you do not agree with the new look then please feel free to complain the administrator.

LOL! The insults are in the main just banter and comedy.  Ill bet those that complained probably dont even post there.

I guess the admins got what they wanted which was to get shot of chatterbox.  

When the Out&AboutLive forums were created in 2006, Warners chose to link the forum structure to their leisure-related magazines that were being published at the time. It was also decided that the O&AL forums be open to all (which had not been the case with the earlier MMM 'just motorhomes' forum) and non-subscription.

It had been feared by the MMM forum's Administrator (there were no Moderators then) that providing a free-to-use/open-to-all forum would prove problematical and this proved to be the case as the Motorhome Matters forum soon descended into chaos. The Chatterbox forum was introduced to siphon off the (mainly comical/bantery) material and - until the political tribe took over - this approach worked pretty well.

Looking at earlier years of Chatterbox activity (say 2006 to 2008) will show that the forum was not used a lot and that some of the threads could have been initiated in the other forums. Personally, I've never cared what people posted to Chatterbox (death threats, effing and blinding, political argument, offensive jokes - fine by me) but when I was a forum Moderator I wasn't prepared to waste my time attempting to 'police' Chatterbox.

There could be a general 'chit chat' forum will the subject boundaries carefully defined, but if Chatterbox is to be restricted just to motorhome/caravan/camping matters in future, so be it. 

10 hours ago, Barryd999 said:

LOL! The insults are in the main just banter and comedy.  Ill bet those that complained probably dont even post there.

I guess the admins got what they wanted which was to get shot of chatterbox.  

I'll be more than happy to see the constant stream of anti Tory anti Brexit negativity come to a stop.

Although what will You, Bulletguy or John52 do for the rest of your lives?🤣 

It looks like you 3 will have to get a life🤣

40 minutes ago, Barry Lineker said:

I'll be more than happy to see the constant stream of anti Tory anti Brexit negativity come to a stop.

Although what will You, Bulletguy or John52 do for the rest of your lives?🤣 

It looks like you 3 will have to get a life🤣

Says the poster who has had more posts on there than anyone. Oh my mistake, I keep forgetting, your new here aren't you? Cough. 

57 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Says the poster who has had more posts on there than anyone. Oh my mistake, I keep forgetting, your new here aren't you? Cough. 

I don't have a problem with Chatterbox rules changing, unlike yourself.

In fact I've decided to become the forums snitch, and will flag up any posts that are anti Tory anti Brexit etc etc🤣

I've had 2 pulled already🤣

3 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

............................. It was also decided that the O&AL forums be open to all (which had not been the case with the earlier MMM 'just motorhomes' forum) and non-subscription........................................................

Here, I think, lies the nub of the problem.  There was, and so far as I can see, still is, no requirement for forum members to be personally identifiable (to the administrator) for verification (i.e. real name and address or at least a traceable e-mail address).  This allows people to hide behind pseudonyms, from which position they are emboldened as they are not personally identifiable and so, in a minority of cases, post extreme views and personal insults with complete impunity.  I think we all know who they are.

If the administrator had actual, verified, identities for all forum members the threat of sanction would carry greater weight; and the ease with which those who overstep the mark and get banned can recycle themselves with a new pseudonym to carry on their pointless trolling and baiting, would be reduced.

I note that one of the biggest miscreants wishes to plead innocence, on the ground that he (presumed) finds what he considers "political" commentary to be disagreeable.

"O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us
" (apologies to Mr Burns!).  😉

And yet, he is himself one of the worst offenders, but seems blind to his own multiple misdemeanours - apparently because he considers only those comments which are out of step with his politics to be "political".  Despite his protestations, he then happily accepts, even embraces, any politically affirming comments from his like-minded entourage without demur.

What of anyone's opinion is apolitical?  In a healthy democracy it is necessary, even essential, to respect the views of others and engage with them, rather than trying to "no platform" them.  If for no other reason, that in doing so one then risks becoming the victim of someone else's "no platforming".  It is necessary to agree to disagree, and to explain why, rather than rush to personal attack and insult, when confronted with a personally disagreeable opinion.  Too much to ask?  Probably!  🙁

I believe one or three on Chatterbox get attempts at humour by a few of the members and they respond with further tongue in cheek replies, they get it but of course others dont and it just goes totally over their heads and they then believe it's all so serious when the reality is it isn't . It's mostly a wind up they can't see . 

I don't see forum-member anonymity being a problem. What I've always seen as the root cause of trouble  is the lack of a straightforward unambiguous statement of forum usage  requirements.

The Practical Caravan forum has such a statement

https://forums.practicalcaravan.com/threads/practical-caravan-official-community-rules.61826/

and something similar on the O&AL forums would help no end.

1 hour ago, Brian Kirby said:

Here, I think, lies the nub of the problem.  There was, and so far as I can see, still is, no requirement for forum members to be personally identifiable (to the administrator) for verification (i.e. real name and address or at least a traceable e-mail address).  This allows people to hide behind pseudonyms, from which position they are emboldened as they are not personally identifiable and so, in a minority of cases, post extreme views and personal insults with complete impunity.  I think we all know who they are.

If the administrator had actual, verified, identities for all forum members the threat of sanction would carry greater weight; and the ease with which those who overstep the mark and get banned can recycle themselves with a new pseudonym to carry on their pointless trolling and baiting, would be reduced.

I note that one of the biggest miscreants wishes to plead innocence, on the ground that he (presumed) finds what he considers "political" commentary to be disagreeable.

"O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us
" (apologies to Mr Burns!).  😉

And yet, he is himself one of the worst offenders, but seems blind to his own multiple misdemeanours - apparently because he considers only those comments which are out of step with his politics to be "political".  Despite his protestations, he then happily accepts, even embraces, any politically affirming comments from his like-minded entourage without demur.

What of anyone's opinion is apolitical?  In a healthy democracy it is necessary, even essential, to respect the views of others and engage with them, rather than trying to "no platform" them.  If for no other reason, that in doing so one then risks becoming the victim of someone else's "no platforming".  It is necessary to agree to disagree, and to explain why, rather than rush to personal attack and insult, when confronted with a personally disagreeable opinion.  Too much to ask?  Probably!  🙁

Excellent post.

Regards the bib some forums don't accept registration using Hotmail (and similar) email and only take recognised IP's. Also using a VPN to 'hide' behind get blocked.

OAL by forum standards is very small with a total membership of just 28,235. The majority rarely log in and browse the forum as a 'guest'. One forum i'm a member of has almost half a million members and covers a wide range of topics. Threads don't get pulled.....offending posts are taken out and if the fm persists, they follow shortly after with a perma-ban from the forum. This enables the thread to continue flowing freely without the baiting and trolling from the offender. Registering more than one account is a cardinal sin and will also result in the person being perma-banned. Attempts at re-registering (after a ban) creating a new username is met with the same. That imo is moderation.....and it works very well.

Archived