More delays at Dover for motorhomers next summer

Barryd999

I'm not sure if this should be posted in Motorhome Matters or Chatterbox now that they are basically for the same type of posts apparently.

As its motorhome related perhaps it will be allowed I dunno.

Looks like we might need to plan ahead next summer, as in several days ahead.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/eu-border-uk-fingerprint-face-travel-b2234413.html

My ad blocker wont allow the not so independent Independent but if its extra security then Im all for it . The concerts we go to mainly at the arenas take a lot longer to enter these days due to certain folk wanting to harm us, the majority of folk accept it and are thankful for the security checks, one would imagine the same would apply to extra border controls . I wouldnt imagine it will affect you Barryd999 anyway . Merry Christmas to you and yours  

2 hours ago, B Dobson said:

My ad blocker wont allow the not so independent Independent but if its extra security then Im all for it . The concerts we go to mainly at the arenas take a lot longer to enter these days due to certain folk wanting to harm us, the majority of folk accept it and are thankful for the security checks, one would imagine the same would apply to extra border controls . I wouldnt imagine it will affect you Barryd999 anyway . Merry Christmas to you and yours  

Well it doesn't stop the record number getting into England.  It just stops them getting back into the EU.

So I don't know how you see that as extra security for us

Unless the fact the illegals can't get out of England puts them off coming?

3 hours ago, B Dobson said:

LOL!  As said above. This is the EU showing us how to "take back control" of "their" borders whilst ours are in total disarray. If you remember I was hoping to apply for a Visa for France next year and do a long trip to Europe so it may well affect me.

Of course you can read it, adblockers stop ads, they dont stop you reading the webpage. 

32 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

LOL!  As said above. This is the EU showing us how to "take back control" of "their" borders whilst ours are in total disarray. If you remember I was hoping to apply for a Visa for France next year and do a long trip to Europe so it may well affect me.

Of course you can read it, adblockers stop ads, they dont stop you reading the webpage. 

Apologies . I seem to recall you claiming French visas were too much hassle to bother with . Flamborough is nice in the summer and and winter depending on how long you want to stay . Regards 

10 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

Apologies . I seem to recall you claiming French visas were too much hassle to bother with . Flamborough is nice in the summer and and winter depending on how long you want to stay . Regards 

They are a complete hassle but if I manage to get a new van finally it may well be the route we go down in order to make it a worthwhile six month trip like we used to do before Brexit ruined all that for everyone.

Not been to Flamborough for ages so may have to add that on the list also.

2 minutes ago, Barry Lineker said:

I doubt it will make any difference to people who use the ferries, as the border staff have plenty of time to process people, seeing as we are normally sat in a queue for hours anyway.

I wonder if this is another of your prediction posts we all need to bookmark to recall next summer.

4 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

I wonder if this is another of your prediction posts we all need to bookmark to recall next summer.

I use Portsmouth, and since Brexit the only delays we have experienced have been due to technical reasons. ie doors jammed, ramp knackered etc.

I don't expect things to change when they introduce the new system.

1 minute ago, Barry Lineker said:

I don't expect things to change when they introduce the new system.

Based on what?

I seem to remember there was frequently delays and chaos at Dover where most people travel through even before these new checks post Brexit.

Please let the forum know why you think these new checks wont make any difference.

1 minute ago, Barryd999 said:

Based on what?

I seem to remember there was frequently delays and chaos at Dover where most people travel through even before these new checks post Brexit.

Please let the forum know why you think these new checks wont make any difference.

Based on the fact that other ports haven't experienced the chaos that Dover has, one has to wonder why it's only Dover that has had problems? 

16 minutes ago, Barry Lineker said:

Based on the fact that other ports haven't experienced the chaos that Dover has, one has to wonder why it's only Dover that has had problems? 

One doesn't have to wonder that at all.  A lot of commercial Brexit related delays happened away from the ports, it just so happens that Dover is a massive bottleneck because its where so much commercial and domestic traffic congregates. 

57 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

One doesn't have to wonder that at all.  A lot of commercial Brexit related delays happened away from the ports, it just so happens that Dover is a massive bottleneck because its where so much commercial and domestic traffic congregates. 

Commercial traffic also uses Portsmouth/Plymouth/Poole and Hull, why haven't they had any problems?

3 hours ago, Barry Lineker said:

Commercial traffic also uses Portsmouth/Plymouth/Poole and Hull, why haven't they had any problems?

They have, you just dont see them as much, read what I said about delays away from the ports and also the fact that I also said about the sheer volume of traffic through Dover and of course the clash between domestic and commercial traffic.

Its not rocket science. Dover was a well oiled machine with frictionless EU movement of goods and people.  That stopped with Brexit and was a nightmare at times, now it seems next year it will get worse (for us) thanks to the EU controlling its borders even more with a new biometric system.

Motorhomers will need to plan ahead or maybe try different ports.

13 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

They have, you just dont see them as much, read what I said about delays away from the ports and also the fact that I also said about the sheer volume of traffic through Dover and of course the clash between domestic and commercial traffic.

Its not rocket science. Dover was a well oiled machine with frictionless EU movement of goods and people.  That stopped with Brexit and was a nightmare at times, now it seems next year it will get worse (for us) thanks to the EU controlling its borders even more with a new biometric system.

Motorhomers will need to plan ahead or maybe try different ports.

Dover was never frictionless, I gave up using the tunnel because of the number of times trains were stopped because of migrants walking through the tunnel, the final nail in the coffin for us was one Christmas when we had a 10 hour delay because of the wrong kind of snow in the tunnel!  

35 minutes ago, Barry Lineker said:

Dover was never frictionless, I gave up using the tunnel because of the number of times trains were stopped because of migrants walking through the tunnel, the final nail in the coffin for us was one Christmas when we had a 10 hour delay because of the wrong kind of snow in the tunnel!  

Always seemed pretty seamless to me. I can remember Turing up at the port at 3:55pm for a 4pm ferry and getting on no bother. Good luck trying that now.

40 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Always seemed pretty seamless to me. I can remember Turing up at the port at 3:55pm for a 4pm ferry and getting on no bother. Good luck trying that now.

Straight on every time irrespective of booking. I'd usually book a cheap slot (unearthly hour!) then turn up in an afternoon or early evening and get the next ferry out.

Now it's a matter of how long is it going to take you to actually enter the port, let alone get on a ferry! 

17 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

Me and hubby have used 3 different UK ports since Brexit with no issues . No issues at the French side either though we did have issues in Rotterdam . I think some of our respected members are panicking and getting worked up over nothing again 

I suppose this was all fake news then?

https://tinyurl.com/5xb4cfrv

2 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

Those certainly are pics of traffic in a bit of a pickle but what year they were in a pickle and which motorway the pics were taken on is anyone's guess in a motor home 

Well the search I did was for Brexit queues at Dover so take a wild guess. There is a motorhome in at least one of the pics so useful info for fellow motorhomers there.

2 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Well the search I did was for Brexit queues at Dover so take a wild guess. There is a motorhome in at least one of the pics so useful info for fellow motorhomers there.

Well I gotta say some of those vehicles in the pics look like they are way before Brexit . Even older than your motor collection and your motor home . Best wishes x

Archived