More delays at Dover for motorhomers next summer

Barryd999

22 minutes ago, Bulletguy said:

The photos are from January 2022 onward.

LBC, The Times, Telegraph, Kent Online etc etc....all list the dates and reports relating to each specific photo. 

The posts may well be from January onward but the pics may well be what my hubby called 'stock photos' . Apparently its something journalists use . He was a journalist for many years for The Daily Sport before he sadly passed away 

22 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

The posts may well be from January onward but the pics may well be what my hubby called 'stock photos' . Apparently its something journalists use . He was a journalist for many years for The Daily Sport before he sadly passed away 

Was he the one that was responsible for this great piece of Journalism?  Sorry for  your loss.

image.png.8c94f574018380459f1552e78db8c326.png

19 hours ago, Barryd999 said:

I'm not sure if this should be posted in Motorhome Matters or Chatterbox now that they are basically for the same type of posts apparently.

As its motorhome related perhaps it will be allowed I dunno.

Looks like we might need to plan ahead next summer, as in several days ahead.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/eu-border-uk-fingerprint-face-travel-b2234413.html

Where is the argument?  If it is going to take 4 times longer (as reported by multiple sources) than at present to process the passport of each individual, then the hourly throughput of the port (whether Dover or other) is going to be reduced to 25% of the present rate.  This will be the case at any time of day, at any port, so whereas it may have minimal impact at times of low demand, it will have critical impact at times of high demand, and the knock on from the inevitable queues will begin to spill into the low demand periods.  The solution would appear to be to quadruple the number of check-in cubicles and staff.  That will be costly and in the short term disruptive.  The same will apply both sides of the ditch.  Who will pay?  Guess.  So, one way or another it will either cost you time or money.  Is this not obvious?  Is there some magic alternative?  Will unicorns do the passport checks?

9 hours ago, Barry Lineker said:

I doubt it will make any difference to people who use the ferries, as the border staff have plenty of time to process people, seeing as we are normally sat in a queue for hours anyway.

Think about that if possible

Say it now takes one minute to process each person instead of 10 seconds.  One minute doesn't sound like much.  But it means you now need 6 times as many staff and booths.  And how can we expect the French to do that for us when we have brought it upon ourselves?

Edit: Just looked and seen Brian answered the question whilst I was typing (am out in the van and the wifi dropped out a couple of times before I could post)

28 minutes ago, John52 said:

Think about that if possible

Say it now takes one minute to process each person instead of 10 seconds.  One minute doesn't sound like much.  But it means you now need 6 times as many staff and booths.  And how can we expect the French to do that for us when we have brought it upon ourselves?

Edit: Just looked and seen Brian answered the question whilst I was typing (am out in the van and the wifi dropped out a couple of times before I could post)

Not to mention the time it will take to process 50 or 60 folk on a coach! 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/travel-chaos-no-end-in-sight-to-long-dover-queues-holidaymakers-warned-z97zxjgs3

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk/dover-lorry-queues-sparked-by-brexit-delays-so-long-they-can-be-seen-from-space/

I see there is now yet another ferry going to be laid on for our Irish motorhomer friends. Sounds great and of course will bypass the carnage at Dover which of course is now predicted to be even worse next summer with these new checks which I suspect as ever we will be ill prepared for.

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/new-cruise-ferry-to-sail-from-ireland-to-france-with-nordic-spa-and-42-pet-friendly-cabins-42179107.html

Just now, Barryd999 said:

I see there is now yet another ferry going to be laid on for our Irish motorhomer friends. Sounds great and of course will bypass the carnage at Dover which of course is now predicted to be even worse next summer with these new checks which I suspect as ever we will be ill prepared for.

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/new-cruise-ferry-to-sail-from-ireland-to-france-with-nordic-spa-and-42-pet-friendly-cabins-42179107.html

So a win win, less trucks on our roads, and less pressure on Dover.

3 minutes ago, Barry Lineker said:

So a win win, less trucks on our roads, and less pressure on Dover.

Its a win win for Irish motorhomers for sure. Not so much for those travelling from mainland UK though. I notice you dont go on your six month winter trips to Spain anymore Dave. I seem to remember you telling the forum all those years back that you would easily get around the 90 days limit or that it wouldnt apply to you.  

Wonder why your not going then? Probably busy in the £30k Greenhouse you built or still building the £100k garage I bet.

I bet you miss this place. Which was actually real. I wonder how many of those punters are now back home wondering if they can afford to heat or eat .

Daves bar (Small) (Custom).jpg

5 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Its a win win for Irish motorhomers for sure. Not so much for those travelling from mainland UK though. I notice you dont go on your six month winter trips to Spain anymore Dave. I seem to remember you telling the forum all those years back that you would easily get around the 90 days limit or that it wouldnt apply to you.  

Wonder why your not going then? Probably busy in the £30k Greenhouse you built or still building the £100k garage I bet.

I bet you miss this place. Which was actually real. I wonder how many of those punters are now back home wondering if they can afford to heat or eat .

Daves bar (Small) (Custom).jpg

I see you are still infatuated with Pelmetman.

I think he would be quite touched to know that he is still able to get your anti Brexit gander up🤣

6 minutes ago, Barry Lineker said:

I see you are still infatuated with Pelmetman.

I think he would be quite touched to know that he is still able to get your anti Brexit gander up🤣

LOL!  Still hiding in plain sight Dave eh?

Can you get wifi in the greenhouse and the £100k Garage?  Send us some pics of you sat in it.

Archived