Energy calculation.

Hans

Is the space under the front seats on average the same?I did a energy calculation because run flat last weekend. I have two front seat batts 75A/h. webasto 3.5 compressor fridge2.0 per hour 5.5 A/H Per weekend 150. max 48x5.5=264 amps per hour.

I have two 85ah batteries under the front seats of my Ducato.  , but could fit larger 125ah 

You have 2 X 75 ah batteries, that  gives  you a useful capacity of 75ah  (50% is the recommended maximum discharge) 

Webasto running for 48hrs at 3.5A = 168ah ... that alone would kill the two batteries in less than 24hrs 

Fridge cycles on and off , so more difficult to calculate , lets say it is ON for 15 mins per hour 

in a 48 hr w/e that that would be 12hr running at 2A = 24ah 

As you can see, your two batteries are not adequate .. 

In my experience, camping  in winter for more than a night  you need an electric hook-up .. 

Yes, that is the problem. Of course, Webasto is also not running all the time, but it is clear that I have not enough capacity. My dealer has made a new offer for two lithium batteries of 100 ah, 4500 euro installed, but in my opinion this is still not enough ! He says a new type of battery of 200 ah will come soon, price unknown, but will be of course even much more expensive ! These batteries already exist, but the size is important, they have to fit under the chairs ! I think this is all way too expensive for only a few weekends in winter ! I'm now looking what the options are with a generator. I've found a Vechline 2000 silent aggregate which could help to bridge the weekend... still looking for solutions 🙂       

I had a Honda 1kw suitcase model, it was not cheap to run, nor was is 'silent'.  so sold it. 

Currently I have two 150w solar panels which are great for spring and summer,, never need a hook-up , but not much use in a British winter.. so use site with EHU 

What you will spend on upgrading to lithium will buy a lot of nights on a site with EHU 

Hans,

If you have neighbours within anything less than 500 meters they will not like you having a generator!

Short of changing to Lithium batteries the only alternative I can think of would be installing an LPG heater like a Propex or similar which does not require a heavy 12 Volt supply.

I have an Eberspacher Diesel heater on our MH but can only run it with the engine running, so really about the same use as yours!

Keith.

26 minutes ago, scotjimland said:

I had a Honda 1kw suitcase model, it was not cheap to run, nor was is 'silent'.  so sold it. 

Currently I have two 150w solar panels which are great for spring and summer,, never need a hook-up , but not much use in a British winter.. so use site with EHU 

What you will spend on upgrading to lithium will buy a lot of nights on a site with EHU 

I'm the wife of Hans. I go to dog agility competitions from Friday afternoon until Sunday evening. Such shows have a camping site in de middle of nowhere. I've also been in the UK several times (ie. Rockingham castle,...) big events during 4 days on camping sites without electricity. Indeed in spring and summer no problem at all. I have one solar panel of 150w. During winter there are less competitions and we run indoor +/- 1 weekend per month. Those indoor halls are also always in the countryside. It is frustrating that everybody stands there with a camper without a problem, I'm the only one with battery problem (of course they all are different and not to compare with my VW Touring Kepler One Westfalia). That's why I'm looking now for an aggregator, the one I'm looking at runs on gasoline and is silent (55 dB), costs 469 euro. I think this is the cheapest solution. Have you any idea how long it has to run to charge again ? I thought a few hours was enough to charge again ?            

You would not want to be running a generator at night when neighbours are sleeping. You may be able to use one during daylight hours when general noise levels will be higher to charge your batteries to then get you through the next night.

At Warners MH shows in the UK you are only allowed to run a generator for a maximum of 2 hours per day...

image.thumb.png.07e6295c555e4a6f157f215009b2f352.png

and even then they are considered VERY anti-social!

1 hour ago, Keithl said:

You would not want to be running a generator at night when neighbours are sleeping. You may be able to use one during daylight hours when general noise levels will be higher to charge your batteries to then get you through the next night.

At Warners MH shows in the UK you are only allowed to run a generator for a maximum of 2 hours per day...

image.thumb.png.07e6295c555e4a6f157f215009b2f352.png

and even then they are considered VERY anti-social!

Yes, of course I understand. I would not run it at night, only a few hours during the day. Than everybody is away or at least inside !

I assume you're not spending an entire day inside the van for these competitions? My experience with webasto and truma is that they use about 15-25Ah per night. Hardly ever run them during the day as we're usually outside. So a weekend on 75Ah is entirely viable, albeit quite hard on the batteries and they won't last for very long.

Archived