Video clip appearing at forum start-up? (PART 2 - RETURN OF THE POP-UP)

Derek Uzzell

Question

This issue was reported here on 17 December 2022

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/56401-video-clip-appearing-at-forum-start-up/

and a 21 December 2022 posting on that forum thread said that the 'pop up' video advertising had been removed (which was indeed the case).

It has now been reported on the Chatterbox forum

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/56310-is-anyone-else-getting-a-annoying-pop-up-from-ap/page/2/#comments

that the 'pop up' video advertising is back. (I've checked and it is!)

Whatever was done last time to remove this feature, please could it could be done again.

(While having some advertising on a free-to-use forum is understandable, this particular feature is decidedly irritating.)

3 answers to this question

There might be relevance at the moment, but when I posted above the 'pop-up' was displaying a video of a Prince Harry interview.

Choosing the Invision Community platform for running the O&AL forums is like choosing a sledgehammer to take the top off an egg. Advertising-wise, Invision Community's underlying ethos is that free-to-use participants will receive adverts, with a pay-to-use upgrade option being offered that suppresses the adverts and provides other 'benefits'. As the O&AL forums have always been free-to-use, no pay-to-use upgrade option is currently offered nor is likely to be in future.

The pop-up advert doesn't affect me personally as my advert blocking software suppresses the pop-up and all the other 'banner' advertising. But I very much doubt that it endears the O&AL forums to participants who do not run an ad-blocker.

I noticed this too a few days ago and reported it immediately. I agree entirely that these are intrusive.

I was assured it was only for our own ads, but like you, have seen other clearly external ads. I was not re-assured at all. I have again raised this, as nothing has changed in that they are still annoying and intrusive.

Waiting for a response. All I can say right now is sorry, and that I am as frustrated with this as will be many other people.

I will keep you informed.

Best wishes,

Paul

Archived