Electric assisted bicycles.

Nick the wanderer

1 hour ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Hi,

I'd stab a guess this topic comes up on a fairly regular basis, but with more and more assisted bicycles being made and my bones getting older and older.. If I could find one I really like I'd be very tempted.. 🚲

I found that my cycling trips were getting shorter and shorter, and routes were decided by  ' elevations '- so I got myself an electric bike, and it solved all those problems.

As ' thebishbus ' says, there are many types of bikes, and what kind you get depends on what kind of cycling you intend to use it for.

The more powerful the battery, the further you can go - and the more the bike costs.

I want to keep pedalling as long as I can for exercise.  Would be nice to be able to go further though.  What put me off is the risk of theft in England

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jan/07/britain-cycling-bikes-stolen-police-cycle-theft-crime )

They say a cheap old bike can still get stolen, but I can't shake the feeling they are more likely to take an expensive ebike, and its worse when they do.

Since the ebike is heavier it sounds harder to get them inside somewhere safe?

Does anyone have any tips on keeping them safe?

That's funny your Guardian link mentions the UK, not specifically England.......although it does report theft figures for England and Wales.

We have cheapo Electric Folders - they do an OK job, and have done so for 6 or 7 years.

They really do broaden your horizons, in fact I'd say they were the best add-on to motor-homing we've ever purchased. 

They are stored in the garage of the van, so not visible.

Not particularly difficult to lift in, even less so with the battery removed.

If we cycle into a busy town for a mooch around we simply lock them together, and if really concerned take the batteries out and pop them in a rucksack, effectively taking the most expensive and desirable part with us.

If you've ever tried cycling a cheap E-bike without a battery, you'll understand - they're bloody hard work, and I'd be inclined to think your average thief will take whatever affords the quickest getaway, and on-going ease of use.

Perhaps if I had a really expensive E-bike I might think differently.

Lets face it - bikes have always been nicked since the wheel was invented.

4 hours ago, Globebuster1 said:

That's funny your Guardian link mentions the UK, not specifically England.......although it does report theft figures for England and Wales.

Not just the Guardian - according to Pedalsure the 9 of the 10 worst places in the UK for bike theft are in England, and the other one is only just over the English border in Wales.

https://www.pedalsure.com/blog/the-worst-place-in-the-uk-for-bike-theft

13 minutes ago, John52 said:

Not just the Guardian - according to Pedalsure the 9 of the 10 worst places in the UK for bike theft are in England, and the other one is only just over the English border in Wales.

https://www.pedalsure.com/blog/the-worst-place-in-the-uk-for-bike-theft

Then I suggest you lock yours when you come south of the border

Evening Nick ... Ignoring the usual troll we bought two bikes a couple of years ago and they are brilliant ... I do a lot more mileage on mine than the missus ... I have a Cube bike with a Bosch battery and my missus has a Haibike with a Yamaha battery ... The Yamaha battery charges much quicker and lasts much longer than the Bosch so disregard all the hype about Bosch batteries ... Hope you find something soon 

Hi,

yes anything can be stolen if the thief thinks they can sell it on for whatever they need. 

As for the use of a new bike, in the past (on traditional cycles) we have done the High Peak Trail which was good. And Rutland Water which was enjoyable but more challenging. I have a good idea of range and the lighter the better, I know that much. I like to be able to pitch up and explore without having to move camp. I'm window shopping at the mo but I will get something eventually now I'm in my 60's..

My experience of " range " is that it depends very much on the terrain - and how you choose to apply the assistance of the battery.

When leaving home, the estimated maximum range on a full charge shouldn't be taken too seriously -  🙂 

10 hours ago, B Dobson said:

I went out on mine yesterday and took the Go-pro . I dont really use the battery going down hill .

Is that Huddersfield? Quite a trip to the shops for you on that bike. Does it get back up ok to your house or do you need to charge up at Tescos at the bottom?

13 hours ago, Barryd999 said:

Is that Huddersfield? Quite a trip to the shops for you on that bike. Does it get back up ok to your house or do you need to charge up at Tescos at the bottom?

Ive never been to Huddersfield, dont think I have ever been anywhere in Lancashire actually . Its where I live though and yes at the bottom of the small hill is our local shop Dobsons Choice which caters for all our provisions but many are out of date as we are quite remote . A full charge will see me back home on the bike even with a full back pack of groceries . Normally I am down and back home within the hour . Have you got an e-bike Barryd999 as youve previously said youre quite sporty? 

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I had been using a couple of decent enough 'Hybrids' from Halfords for several years and were very happy with them... but hills and distances over 10-15 miles became 'challenging'.

I decided to convert both bikes to electric using Bafang centre drive 250w kits, with 36v 17ah batteries.. wow! a game changer, hills are no problem and distances of 20+ miles are only limited by sore backsides.

Each bike has a range of over 50 miles at about 10-12 mph, and after removing the quite heavy batteries I can still lift them onto the bike rack safely... this is mine.

5a.jpg

2 hours ago, laimeduck said:

Les hi ... looks interesting! Can you let us know the details of the kit to convert, and if possible a guide price please? 

Thanks

Jeremy

I bought the kits from here Jeremy  https://eclipsebikes.com/ they cost £700 each kit, the kits contain everything needed for the conversion.

Not to difficult to fit though some bicycle tools are required. 

Archived