Baltic Wharf and Bristol Clean Air Zone

rooster63

Good news to see that BW is staying open but I see it is within the Clean air Zone, £9 a day. I assume if I say stay for 3 nights and keep my camper van on site I will only be charged when entering the zone on arrival day and leaving it on departure day, ie £18 The info is not very clear as it refers to charges for every 24 hrs. Or will I only have to pay to enter, ie £9 or will the cameras register I was in the zone for 3 days and charge me £27?

I agree with your assumption that it will cost you £18.

From the https://www.bristol.gov.uk/residents/streets-travel/bristols-caz/pay-the-bristol-clean-air-zone-daily-charge website it states...

image.thumb.png.a0e31a85425fd25317e4549d637d57f8.png

So your day driving in counts and your day driving out but NOT the days you stay on site.

But that is assuming your MH is a Private LIGHT Goods Vehicle and not a P HEAVY GV!

Our AT is plated at 3,800 kg and hence a PHGV so would cost £100 per day!!! OUCH!

2 hours ago, Adiebt said:

Im actually sat in my 2013 diesel van ( 3500kg ) at Baltic Wharf this very minute and according to the LEZ checker im exempt .

Adiebt, can you please explain this, because when I use the LEZ checking website, my 2014 Euro 5 Auto-Sleeper diesel powered Warwick Duo, will have to pay £9 per day?

I doubt if Adiebt can explain it, other forums have had discussions showing similar apparent anomalies - but the further complication is that if the central government database shows your vehicle as exempt, there doesn’t seem to be any way to make payments anyway - unless I’m missing something.

Bristol's Clean Air Zone website (link in my previous posting) advises

Clean Air Zone charges

No vehicles are banned from entering Bristol’s Clean Air Zone but older and more polluting vehicles have to pay a daily charge.

Charges do not apply to Euro 4, 5 and 6 petrol vehicles (roughly 2006 onwards).

Charges do not apply to Euro 6 diesel vehicles (roughly end of 2015 onwards).

I used the LEZ checking website for my last motorhome (UK-registered in April 2015). As the vehicle had a Euro 5 motor and a 3500kg GVW, I'd expect the Bristol daily charge to be £9 and - as shown below - that's what the 'checker' confirmed would be the case.

131156677_ScreenShot2023-02-08at08_02_37.thumb.png.f2018d06385184963e286801f7cb2b7d.png

Some friends have a large Motorhome with an Euro 5 rating. They recently had it replated to 3850kg to increase the pay load. They were on their way to BW and decided to check the Bristol charges and were horrified to find it would cost them £100 x 2. (Yes I know they should have done their research). They cancelled their BW booking (losing the deposit) and then booked into a CL site for 1 night and then the Cheddar site. Interestingly if they had transferred their booking from BW to Cheddar they wouldn’t have forfeited their deposit.

13 hours ago, spospe said:

Adiebt, can you please explain this, because when I use the LEZ checking website, my 2014 Euro 5 Auto-Sleeper diesel powered Warwick Duo, will have to pay £9 per day?

I put my details in and waited ……… the result was no charge , I’ve even taken a screen shot of the result if you are interested ? 

Adibt, thanks for the reply. Perhaps this is a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing? The screen shot you supplied is clear enough and so is the one I got showing that my 2014 euro 5 motorhome has to pay.

A confusion of databases perhaps?

13 minutes ago, spospe said:

Adibt, thanks for the reply. Perhaps this is a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing? The screen shot you supplied is clear enough and so is the one I got showing that my 2014 euro 5 motorhome has to pay.

A confusion of databases perhaps?

I suppose the acid proof will be if I get a charge ! I’m not convinced I won’t ! 

Yes, Baltic Wharf is a super location, both scenically (the Clifton suspension bridge lit up at night is good) and as a very convenient base to explore Bristol on foot. The only other site in the CAMC network that comes close in my opinion is Rowntree Park in York.

48 minutes ago, Adiebt said:

It’d b a shame to miss out on the view ! 

What is the route for getting into the site now? Is it only coming from the right looking out of the gate? I am there in March so best get prepared

32 minutes ago, rayc said:

What is the route for getting into the site now? Is it only coming from the right looking out of the gate? I am there in March so best get prepared

I will post up the route , it’s very simple and straightforward, just different . 

A Clean Air Zone will be enforced from Mon 28 November and will include Cumberland Road. Click here for more information.

Significant construction is ongoing outside the site grounds. Noise disruption can be expected 7-days a week from 7am into the evening.

Access onto site is restricted due to the road works on Cumberland Road. We strongly recommend that you do not visit the site if your outfit exceeds:-

• Maximum motorhome length is 8 metres.
  • Maximum length for car and caravan is 12 metres (twin axle caravans will not be able to make the turn).

This is beyond the control of the Club and we are sorry for any disappointment that this causes.

In addition to the long term roadworks in the area there are now additional road closures, which make the approach to site from the M5 and A4 direction challenging. We advise that you should approach from the M4 and M32 direction and do not use SatNav to guide you through the city.

• At the end of the M32 continue straight ahead as it turns into the A4032 and prepare to turn left towards Temple Meads Railway Station.
  • Follow signs towards Temple Meads. As the road bears left and it is still signed to Temple Meads it becomes the A4044.
  • Continue straight on through the underpass still following signs to Temple Meads station. Go straight on through Temple Gate.
  • Now start to follow brown tourist signs to the SS Great Britain. Just after Temple Meads Station (on left), and at the large roundabout straddling the river, take the 2nd exit (A370). This exit is controlled by traffic lights as you leave the roundabout.
  • Continue along this road (A370) with the river on your right. At the next roundabout take the 3rd exit towards SS Great Britain. You will now have crossed the river and it will be on your left. You are on Commercial Road.
  • At the mini roundabout take the 1st exit left and follow the river. The road becomes Cumberland Road.
  • The site entrance is about ½ mile on the right hand side approx halfway along the roadworks controlled by 3-way temporary traffic lights.
  • Take extra care as you turn into the gateway as the turn is tight.

On 2/7/2023 at 5:23 PM, Adiebt said:

Im actually sat in my 2013 diesel van ( 3500kg ) at Baltic Wharf this very minute and according to the LEZ checker im exempt .

Hi Adiebt,

The last time I was at BW and just outside the site, the side walls of the estuary had collapsed and I was wondering if any repairs had been started or finished yet?

Archived