Valuing motorhome.

Brian Kirby

On 3/4/2023 at 8:10 AM, Derek Uzzell said:

I think Brian's Knaus motorhome may be left-hand drive with a non-UK specification.

If that's the case, there will be less interest in the UK secondhand market, either from motorhome dealerships or private buyers (unless the latter wish to use the vehicle primarily in Continental Europe.)

In late-2021 I sold my 2015 LHD Rapido motorhome via an AutoTrader advert. I got several 'commercial' responses (eg. from Motorhome Depot) all of which offered a similar price, but the vehicle was eventually sold to a private buyer for slightly more.

A casual GOOGLE-search identifies several Knaus  'vans' currently  for sale and the adverts might help to decide what a realistic asking-price would be.

On which topic, if anyone is presently considering selling their van, I've just noticed that "for a limited period" Warners are offering free advertising on their "for sale" section.  So, ours is now on there.

It's not exactly a user-friendly interface, and guidance as to what happens when, in response to what, is somewhat thin, but with a bit of helpful input from a nice lady in Warners' advertising department the advert was posted.

The only slight drawback is that because it is a van conversion it is classified as a "campervan" and not as a "motorhome".  It always seems to me that people understand "campervans" to be those without washrooms and permanent toilets, usually VW Transporter based, and usually with a rising roof, so I'm not expecting the 'phone to  suddenly start ringing off the hook!

Still, a very helpful gesture from Warners for anyone thinking of selling.

The O&AL "Sell My" and "For Sale" applications are not the most user-friendly or transparent applications.

Campervan or Motorhome are the two options offered to sellers, but - if buyers are only interested in Campervans (ie. panel-van conversions) - they will need to specify that requirement as a 'keyword' in their search. Also, when I experimented, it became plain that some sellers of models that were not PVCs had chosen the Campervan category and that sellers of models that were PVCs had often not chosen the Campervan category.

I also found it impossible to move between the pages of multi-page listings. For example, if my search had retrieved (say) 200 adverts (eg. 8 pages at 25 adverts per page) I could see the 25 adverts on Page 1, but - when I selected Page 2 (etc.) - I remained stuck on Page 1. (Might be a side-effect of the elderly software mixture I'm running on my iMac, so it could be OK for other people.)

8 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

The O&AL "Sell My" and "For Sale" applications are not the most user-friendly or transparent applications.

Campervan or Motorhome are the two options offered to sellers, but - if buyers are only interested in Campervans (ie. panel-van conversions) - they will need to specify that requirement as a 'keyword' in their search. Also, when I experimented, it became plain that some sellers of models that were not PVCs had chosen the Campervan category and that sellers of models that were PVCs had often not chosen the Campervan category.

I also found it impossible to move between the pages of multi-page listings. For example, if my search had retrieved (say) 200 adverts (eg. 8 pages at 25 adverts per page) I could see the 25 adverts on Page 1, but - when I selected Page 2 (etc.) - I remained stuck on Page 1. (Might be a side-effect of the elderly software mixture I'm running on my iMac, so it could be OK for other people.)

Yes, yes, and yes.  🙂  It is also a bit galling that the "trade" advertisers can apparently control the layout of their advertisements in ways that I could not.  As the text of the ad was pasted over all paragraphs were eliminated to produce a long sausage of text - which did nothing to aid readability.  However, it was free so I thought it worth a "punt".  Having said which, I think Warners, with their collective knowledge of motorhomes, would be well advised to to refine the format to allow more model and brand identification in adverts.

I'd looked at Autotrader when trying to determine what prices were being asked for generically similar vans (of which there were many! 🙂) in RHD and LHD form, and to look more specifically for Knaus branded ones, and it drove me nuts!  Unsurprisingly, having originated for advertising cars and light vans, it's search functions are not at all suited to motorhomes, of which there are many more variants which, it seems, Autotrader staff simply don't understand.  So much so, in fact, that I was surprised that your sale came from that platform!  

There is a UK Knaus/Weinsburg Owners Club with a Facebook forum

https://www.facebook.com/groups/519134055227757/?locale=en_GB

Regarding the O&AL 'sales' applications, these were awarded a negative review here in January

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/57345-selling-on-mmm/#comment-701479

PaulD's posting mentions a 'rebuild' planned for a late-February launch, but I don't know if the current applications are still the 'old' versions or the rebuilds.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all.  In the end we sold the van on Friday, to Southdowns in Portsmouth, where it is now for sale.  I had one response to the ad on O&AL - unfortunately the day before the van was due to Southdowns!  Sale completed this morning, with receipt of full payment.  In the end, although a private sale might have given us a higher return, I think we got a fair price, so I'm not complaining, plus the admin (DVLA notification etc) is all being done by Southdowns.

11 hours ago, Brian Kirby said:

Thank you to all.  In the end we sold the van on Friday, to Southdowns in Portsmouth, where it is now for sale.  I had one response to the ad on O&AL - unfortunately the day before the van was due to Southdowns!  Sale completed this morning, with receipt of full payment.  In the end, although a private sale might have given us a higher return, I think we got a fair price, so I'm not complaining, plus the admin (DVLA notification etc) is all being done by Southdowns.

Thanks for posting to let us know how it went

Some people don't bother

Actually, just having had a proper look at Southdowns presentation, I can now see the wheels.  When we left it with Southdowns on Thursday it had plain steel wheels, not black alloys, honest!  He said he'd get the tyres changed, as the old ones were just over 5 years old (which I thought unnecessary, but his risk, so to his credit he played safe in favour of the new buyer) - but no mention of changing the wheels as well, so lipstick on a pig it is!!  😄 

Archived