What would you take....?

Jez_1966

We're planning a 1 year US road trip with our 2021 Ducato based Kon-Tiki.

I think we've covered the bases but as a catch all, WHAT WOULD YOU TAKE/THINK YOU'LL NEED.

The Ducato is not a model sold in the US. RAM sold petrol variant Rxxx until 2015.

Estimate 35,000 Miles
We're looking for items to cover Motorhome and Ducato mechanical stuff, we're good for underwear, no "food" products permitted, etc.

Not wanting to stifle creativity but I'll clear some of the basics.

Shipping - Sorted

Visa - Sorted

EPA Letter - Sorted

US/Canda Motorhome insurance - Sorted

International Driving Permit - Obtained

Diesel & AdBlue - readily available

Propane - readily available: Adaptors to GasLow

Generator/Step up transformer/surge protecter - Bought

What would you take....?

Supplies for least 2 or 3 services, ie oil and air filters, cam belt (just in case) and any other serviceable items unique to a UK spec diesel engine. Oil should not be a problem to buy as long as you know the correct spec and possibly a couple of brand alternatives.

What comes to mind.
The USA is huge, 35,000 miles in a year (= 100 miles/day) seems underestimated to me.
I would expect almost certain tire replacement. $$$ ?
That said:
1. Credit cards. Double because if one goes wrong...
With a minimum ceiling of at least 50US$ per day.
Better VISA and Mastercard, AMEX and Diner's not always honored.
2. Good health insurance. Check coverage.
3. Fiat Ducato. The biggest problems come from the tenths of sensors.
Delivery times in Europe are already biblical. To the USA ?
4. I know you have the generator so you shouldn't have problems with hair dryer etc.
But they have 110V/60Hz EHU.
Does your vehicle have adequate electronics (110/230V - 50/60Hz) ?
5. Phone/Datacomm. Does your mobile/tablet support their standards ?

Take the wife and come back with a grizzly bear, it's the same thing. Smile

Max

Things to take to USA......?

I lived in the USA for 3 years, I have visited the West Coast many times, I have sailed bareboat round the Florida coastline in the Gulf of Mexico.
Most of the things you will want, you can buy there.
Many of the things you might want may not be possible eg Marmite, proper bread, warm beer!

Seriously though, I know that phones and tablets and things all have mapping, but for proper planning a paper map or Atlas can't be beaten.
I still have my Rand McNally Atlas I got with my first insurance in 1973 .... and it is still useful.
Perhaps you will need a more up-to-date version as here https://www.randmcnally.com/product/rand-mcnally-road-atlas.

Lastly, cultivate your best English accent .... it will open lots of doors.

("Gee .... do you have inside toilettes in Ingerland") ("Do you know Jim Smith? ..... he lives in Ingerland")

Jeremy

And finally ..... take that 1p widget thingamy... you know?! ..... the one that will break and stop you driving  ...tee hee!

3 hours ago, Keithl said:

Supplies for least 2 or 3 services, ie oil and air filters, cam belt (just in case) and any other serviceable items unique to a UK spec diesel engine. Oil should not be a problem to buy as long as you know the correct spec and possibly a couple of brand alternatives.

Correct oil no issue, packed 1 air, oil, fuel filter. Van 2021 with 7k so no need for cam belt replacement. If it fails within that time we F**c*** having a spare will not help.

3 hours ago, mtravel said:

What comes to mind.
The USA is huge, 35,000 miles in a year (= 100 miles/day) seems underestimated to me.
I would expect almost certain tire replacement. $$$ ?
That said:
1. Credit cards. Double because if one goes wrong...
With a minimum ceiling of at least 50US$ per day.
Better VISA and Mastercard, AMEX and Diner's not always honored.
2. Good health insurance. Check coverage.
3. Fiat Ducato. The biggest problems come from the tenths of sensors.
Delivery times in Europe are already biblical. To the USA ?
4. I know you have the generator so you shouldn't have problems with hair dryer etc.
But they have 110V/60Hz EHU.
Does your vehicle have adequate electronics (110/230V - 50/60Hz) ?
5. Phone/Datacomm. Does your mobile/tablet support their standards ?

Take the wife and come back with a grizzly bear, it's the same thing. Smile

Max

Thank you.

1. 2 x Credit and 2 x Debit with no charge for using in US

2. Yes World Traveller policy + cover with Progressive Auto

3. We have a partical sensor that is very common to fail but van can be driven with error.

4. Not only generator but step up transformer 110 - 240, surge protector.

5. The phone is something we'll need to sort in country. We visted US twice last year on planning trip but still going to be a little guessing once we go into Target/Walmart etc.

Do you have breakdown and repatriation cover?

If the worst happened and the vehicle got totalled, or say the engine blew up, would you be able to get the remains back home to comply with your temporary export and/or import licence restrictions? From previous experience a few years ago when I was in work I believe scrapping the vehicle in the USA would not be an option and the remains would have to exported, so does your cover allow for that?

15 hours ago, Keithl said:

Do you have breakdown and repatriation cover?

If the worst happened and the vehicle got totalled, or say the engine blew up, would you be able to get the remains back home to comply with your temporary export and/or import licence restrictions? From previous experience a few years ago when I was in work I believe scrapping the vehicle in the USA would not be an option and the remains would have to exported, so does your cover allow for that?

Thank you, we think alike, plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Breakdown/Recovery included with Progressive RV Residential policy so "if the worst happens" vans remains can be repatriated for UK burial.

If "if the worst happens" to us, we'd not be in a position to care what happens with the van.

15 hours ago, simians said:

12v jumpstarter, lithium polymer battery powered rather than capacitor variety. Many can be used as an emergency 12v 150Watt power bank in addition to the jumpstarting primary use.

Thank you, we have a jumpstarter pack but you've now made me think of jump leads.

While readily available in town/city when up country they may not be, thinking we should pack a pair/buy on arrival

21 hours ago, Keithl said:

How many on the clock?Cam belt or chain/ did changed yourselves?

26 minutes ago, Jez_1966 said:

If it fails during the trip, having a replacement won't help

It will if your particular engine isn't an 'interference' engine, admittedly unlikely, most modern engines are interference types, but worth checking out.

15 minutes ago, simians said:

It will if your particular engine isn't an 'interference' engine, admittedly unlikely, most modern engines are interference types, but worth checking out.

Good thought, I'll check when we have it serviced.

There is also the fact it a simfo engine being a Fiat/Iveco (Ford) venture since 1981 so possible it is an engine used in USA.

32 minutes ago, Albertslad said:

On a 2021 Ducato this may not be necessary, but:

Diesel fuel filter complete replacement. Avoid splitting unit.

Thank you, fuel filter is generic so if required we can get a replacement across the pond.

Hi 

You got great advice from all here from insurance to cam belts 

Now just go and enjoy your self over there, be careful, and don't be just thinking of what to bring out now,

only what to bring back, yourselves 

Do enjoy , have a wonderful time , 

Regards

Archived