Repairs to Multimo Satelite dish

enodreven

Thanks Dave

I will try telephoning them tomorrow as I can't find anything about repairs on their web site

Brian

davenewell@home - 2007-06-27 6:26 PM

Sorry Brian, all I know is Roadpro are one of the main distributors. www.roadpro.co.uk

D.

• 1 month later...

I have used the Multimo Satellite Dish for seven years, in that time I have had partial failure of the LNB three times. The failure symptoms are either low or no signal strength, and low quality on all or some channels, as well as Horizontal, Vertical, High and Low Band switching problems.

Although the above reception and switching problems can be caused by the receiver or wiring from the LNB to receiver, its more than likely the fault is due to the LNB failing. It is quicker to fit a new LNB to the Multimo Dish rather than messing about testing both receiver and LNB. The cheapest replacement LNB I have found is a Grundig .6 db costs £13.99 and the best one for gain is the Inverto .4 db or 2 db at £15, they take no room up in the camper and they can be fitted in 5 minutes, when you know how!

The LNB feed horn can be unscrewed (RH thread) from the front of the dish, holding the LNB and gripping the feed horn firmly, rotate the feed horn in an anticlockwise direction. When the dish was assembled a smear of adhesive may have been applied to the threads, making it difficult but not impossible to remove. Only use your hands to unscrew the feed horn, perhaps helped with a damp cloth or leather to improve your grip. I almost always use one of my body building, weight lifting sons to remove caps off jars and feed horns off dishes! although on this occasion I managed to dismantle it myself.

The bright aluminium feed horn extension is attached to the LNB with 4 screws and will need to be fitted to the replacement LNB, the fitting kit supplied with the LNB contains an O ring and new screws. There is a small shoulder on the plastic feed horn which mates with the aperture in the centre of the dish, ensure that this is seated correctly as the plastic feed horn is screwed home into the aluminium feed horn extension. It’s a good idea to apply silicone grease to all surfaces when assembling, stops damp ingress and makes it easier to dismantle next time.

If you feel the need to test the LNB and receiver are switching and receiving all channels both Horizontal & Vertical, there is a good write up on http://tinyurl.com/2bqgno .

I bought two Grundig .6 db LNB’s for spares and found the gain from identical and nearly sequential serial numbered LNB’s to be different. My advise is to buy a couple of LNB’s and try them out as soon as they are received. I also found condensation in the feed horn, if you do have an LNB failure it might be worth dismantling and drying out the plastic feed horn as well as leaving the LNB open for a day or so to thoroughly dry out its innards. These LNB’s have the C120 flange, they need to look like the illustrations below.

Although the dish has let me down a few times, I still like the dish because of its small size and its ability to pull in good signals over most of Europe, now with a couple of spare LNB’s , I shouldn’t miss out on any soaps.

Regards Terry

1301540434_C120Flange.jpg.5c56b15c984049eb87bf4a6faf3c216d.jpg

1632775728_Horn(485x243).jpg.2f43c1ea2a89de1b0505576bab867e97.jpg

157298123_LNB(740x468).jpg.ccdbb8c7cf0221ea4f64331257dd289d.jpg

Hi Brian,

Pleased to be of help. Try http://tinyurl.com/35q62s for the Inverto .2 db LNB's, or http://tinyurl.com/32pq95 for the Inverto .4 db and http://tinyurl.com/2v73tu for the Grundig .6 db. I have ordered up a couple of the Inverto .2 db LNB's just to see if the gain is better than the Grundig .6 db and the Inverto .4 db examples.

The last Multimo Dish (3rd one) had the Inverto .4 db fitted and although it only lasted for only 7 months, the gain was much better than the Grundig .6 db which lasted around 23 months.

I was getting 85% to 90% signal strength and signal quality with the newest dish, which was supplied with the Inverto .4 db, and 75% signal strength with 70% to 75% quality with the Grundig .6 db on the other two dishes.

All the above readings where taken from the same location and weather conditions, i.e. sunny, blue sky, no clouds.

The improved signal quality and signal strength using the Inverto .4 db could be seen on High and Low bands of both Horizontal and vertical transponders.

You might wonder why I still use the Multimo, putting up with so many failures, its a good little dish, doesn't take up much room and DIY repairs are cheap and easy peasy, I did consider buying a spare dish, but its easier to take along a couple of LNB's and as I said before, only about 5 mins to fit a replacement.

It seems the mortality rate for LNB's is a bit unpredicatable, if one lasts for 4 years the chances are it will keep going for 8 to 10 years. I always use a sacrificial connectors on both the LNB and receiver to avoid wearing out the F type connectors on the devices, the system is set up (plugged and unplugged) every day when touring over 4 months of every year.

Regards Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Update LNB replacement

Hi Andrew,

I fitted a new .6 db Grundig LNB to the dish, used silicone grease on all joints except the O ring and LNB flange, I felt that the O ring should stop moisture ingress. After leaving it outside for 5 days on top of the camper (no rain), I dismantled the dish again and found a small amount of moisture (two or three beads of water) on the LNB flange both sides of the O ring.

Looking at the original Inverto LNB flange, I have noted green oxidisation marks on the flange casting and down into the tube, this will have been caused by moisture already in the horn and tube assembly from the factory environment, or ingress whilst in use by the end user, your theory of sealed joints breaking down may be correct.

The latest Inverto .3db LNB's have a sealed plastic window over its aperture and stuck firmly to the cast flange, so preventing moisture from the plastc feed horn, or water entry from a failed or leaky O ring and flange penetrating and entering the LNB electronics.

My advice is to dismantle the LNB from the dish, clean & dry the plastic feed horn, reassemble using a little silicone grease, stretching some cling film over the LNB flange, before fitting the O ring, and screwing back the bright aluminium horn extension spacer with the four screws.

Regards Terry

• 3 years later...

Dear Terry,

Thank you for your user guide about Multimo's LNB replacement. I follow your technical to unscrew the feed horn from the front of the dish but It's really difficult. Not impossible you said? So, what kind of leather did you use to improve your grip? You said : "I almost always use one of my body building, weight lifting sons to remove caps off jars and feed horns off dishes!" What exactly, please?? I received my new LNB (Inverto single flange black pro) but I'm really frustrated not being able to install it on my Multimo !!! I need to improve my signal quality to receive some essential digital channels on Astra 19.2° E. Could you help me?

Best regards.

Glafrite (Belgium)

Hi Terry,as a fellow multimo user i just wanted to say thanks for such well detailed information,nice to know that they are repairable if theres problems,just out of interest what box do you use or recommend.....Dave

• 7 years later...
Apologies for resurrecting such and ld thread, but has anyone managed t locate a twin LNB for a Multimo. Satcure is now down and out as far as sales are concerned so are ther any alternatives available. On a similar theme, is it possible t fir an LNB compatible with Sky Q. Thanks

Archived