Hard winter woes!

rogermash

Last week in warm sunshine I thought to wash out the water system on my   Sun living V 65 SL. I filled the tank which is in the offside rear corner. All OK. On starting the pump the cold water flowed OK but the hot feed flowed out under the van. I have checked the cold water route and all is dry. There is no sign of a leak anywhere inside the van. We had an extra cold winter here in the north of England. I had drained the tank and boiler as normal and assumed that any piping would drain back itself  I obviously have a burst somewhere, but am unable to find the route of the hot water feed. It disappears down the back of the water tank and reappears at the Truma on the other side of the van. Any help appreciated. The van is made by  Adria.

14 minutes ago, spirou said:

Are you sure it's leaking in places other as designed through the anti frost valve?

Best place to start, because it has either opened or it hasn't, and you can see which state it is in.  If the system still leaks when you have closed he frost protection valve, then you'll need to go leak hunting.  Most of the water pipes used in motorhome plumbing are braided plastic hoses, which should have sufficient flexibility to absorb the expansion of ice if water in the pipes freezes.  So, prioritise the end connections of the hoses where they terminate onto rigid appliances before you begin trying to expose the pipes themselves.  For future reference, when draining down for winter, it is a good idea to take the van out for a drive around (with fresh and waste water drain taps fully open) as this tends to dislodge some of the water that may be trapped in the pipes.  Also, don't forget that the waste drain pipes, as well as the fresh/hot water pipes, can also freeze!

Roger's motorhome is a 2018 model, so - assuming it has the usual Truma anti-frost valve - the valve will be the "FrostControl" type described here.

https://www.adventurelv.com/truma-frostcontrol-valve-guide/

It's perhaps worth emphasising that closing the FrostControl valve requires two separate actions - turning the 'switch' on the top of the valve, followed by firmly pressing in the pushbutton on the valve's front end. Unless the pushbutton has 'locked' into its fully closed position, water will leak through the valve's drain-tube and appear below the motorhome.

Thanks, everyone. I always go for a drive to clear the system. We have frost here today and tonight. I will try it again after that. There has been no water inside the van but, the water escaping was somehow running along the lower body of the van and exiting just in front of the step.

The best you can have is a isometric of your water pipes. The way how they built in the camper plant. Than you understand how to PURGE your water pipes Hot Cold  By Air pressure connection. And then driving To check whit camera on the tap. Stay on a slope when tapping off manual. From the front. Anti freese product as your car is a alternative.

4 minutes ago, Hans said:

Anti freese product as your car is a alternative.

Hans,

Anti Freeze for a car engine is toxic and should never be used in a drinking water system. You can however get potable (drinkable) anti freeze solution more typically designed for American RV water systems.

Keith.

The most readily available POTABLE antifreeze is probably this Elsan product at around £25 for 4 litres

https://elsan.co.uk/caravan-and-motorhome-anti-freeze/

but significantly cheaper alternatives can be obtained through marine chandlers.

(Obviously - if potable antifreeze is to be used to 'winterise' a motorhome - the antifreeze MUST be FULLY drained from the motohome's fresh-water system before the vehicle is put back into use.

For 'pressure draining' a motorhome's water system, the "Floe" products may be of interest

https://keepfloeing.com/shop/motorhome/

Just a follow-up  After correctly closing the Truma valve water was still leaking. A visit to Alex at Dalesview found two leaks. One at a T piece under the right-hand bunk and the other under the cassette toilet. Now thankfully sorted and a pump unit ordered to clear the water pipes in the future.

Archived