Information on insurance

mel64

Unfortunately Fords are one of the easiest vans to break into and drive away so I'm not really surprised.

My neighbour has a 2007 Hymer on a Transit and had to have a tracker fitted whereas our 2004 Merc Sprinter based AT does not have to have one fitted and is of similar value. And a few weeks ago I caught three youths trying to steal his Hymer off his front drive, they had opened the passenger door with a Tibbe lock pick and were then trying to pick the ignition lock with the same device. Luckily the Tibbe lock pick will not operate the ignition lock (it only works in an anti-clockwise direction) so when challenged they sped off in a getaway car and left the lock pick jammed in the ignition lock!

Keith.

This 2018 Out&AboutLive article primarily discussed an increase in the Essex area of FIAT-based motorhome thefts.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/insurer-warns-over-recent-motorhome-thefts

However, the article's final two paragraphs read

Comfort Insurance went on to add that it is not only Fiat-based motorhomes that are at risk. “We would also like to mention that Ford motorhomes still have the highest theft rates in the above areas, particularly including postcodes SO and BH (Southampton and Bournemouth). If you are thinking of, or have already purchased, a Ford motorhome please be aware of this increased risk and fit preventatives to the vehicle. As a result of the increased risk with Ford motorhomes and campervans, we require certain types of security when you take out or renew an insurance policy with us.”

These additional security measures, which are mandatory for Comfort customers who have a Ford-based motorhome or campervan, are Meta Trak VTS or Thatcham Approved Category 5 or 6 tracking devices.