Gas bottle change

CHRIS THOMAS

Hi Chris,

We're going to need a bit more info to help you, what year was your MH manufactured and do you have the regulator connected directly onto the cylinder or is it mounted on the bulkhead with a high pressure pigtail connecting it to the cylinder?

PS make and model of MH may also help.

Keith.

Thanks Chris,

The regulator swap will be the easy part, undo the worm drive clip and pull the regulator out of the hose then fit the new one.

The difficult part is working out if your appliances will work on propane at its slightly higher operating pressure. Butane regulators operate at 28 mbar and Propane at 37 mbar. If you have the original instructions for the fridge, stove, etc. then these should detail gas supply requirements or search online for copies. If not then try looking for the manufacturers rating plate on the appliances. I would hazard a guess they will all be ok but you really do need to check.

Keith.

I thought that on these type of gas systems (prior to bulkhead fitted regulators) that the appliances worked on either butane or propane providing the correct (propane or butane) regulator was connected to the gas cylinder - i.e. the appropriate regulator ensured the operating pressure was correct for the type of gas being used.

David

This 2015 Practical Caravan article may be helpful

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/how-to-get-the-best-from-your-gas-bottle-regulator

The gas appliances originally factory-fitted to a 2002 UK-built motorhome will have been designed for a gas-pressure range of 28-37mbar and will have had labelling on them to confirm this. (The fridge should have had a 28-37 adhesive label inside it. Whether it would still be readable after 21 years is another matter.)

15 hours ago, david lloyd said:

I thought that on these type of gas systems (prior to bulkhead fitted regulators) that the appliances worked on either butane or propane providing the correct (propane or butane) regulator was connected to the gas cylinder - i.e. the appropriate regulator ensured the operating pressure was correct for the type of gas being used.

David

I agree with David's comment quoted above.

Alan

Hi all. I have checked my booklets, the cooker and heating system will indeed work off both butane and propane the fridge says refer to the indentation certificate / plate. Attached below is what i found inside the fridge. Wondering if you could kindly advise me.

20230522_113923.jpg

The basic advice is as follows:

Until September 2003, caravans and motorhomes used a different regulator depending on which gas was being used to provide the appropriate operating pressures, 28mbar (millibar) for butane and 37mbar for propane. Some units from continental Europe use different pressures, up to 50mbar.

Since September 2003 a European standard (EN 1949) has made the supply pressure the same for both gases throughout the EU at 30mbar. While pre-2003 units still require different regulators depending on the gas used, all current UK-built caravans run at 30mbar, and this figure should be marked in the gas locker near to the regulator.

I started motorcaravanning in 1999 and it was then common practice for owners of UK-built  motorhomes to use butane bottles in the summer and propane bottles in the winter, and to swap the on-bottle regulators to match. I recall using butane initially (as the secondhand motorhome I had bought came with a butane bottle) but - after I had noticed the the gas hob's burners 'sooted' badly - I was advised to use propane instead. Although sceptical, this did in fact stop the sooting.

If Chris ventures abroad, this old forum thread may prove useful

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/42662-gas-in-europe/

On 5/19/2023 at 8:52 PM, Keithl said:

Thanks Chris,

The regulator swap will be the easy part, undo the worm drive clip and pull the regulator out of the hose then fit the new one......................................................

Keith.

Just on this, if there is any chance that that hose (or "pigtail") is the original, I think you'd also be wise to change it.  I know its not a high-pressure hose, but they all deteriorate over time, and pulling it around to detach the old regulator and fit the new one is likely to test its resilience - with unpredictable consequences!

11 hours ago, Brian Kirby said:

Just on this, if there is any chance that that hose (or "pigtail") is the original, I think you'd also be wise to change it.  I know its not a high-pressure hose, but they all deteriorate over time, and pulling it around to detach the old regulator and fit the new one is likely to test its resilience - with unpredictable consequences!

When an on-bottle gas regulator was fitted to a UK-built motorhome/caravan, the hose between the regulator and the leisure-vehicle's metal gas pipework did not need to be the high-pressure type. If low-pressure (black) gas hose was used,  it was recommended that this be replaced annually and - when a motorhome/caravan had a 'professional' annual habitation service -  low-pressure hose replacement was standard practice. Many motorhome owners who DIY-serviced their vehicle's gas system chose to use instead high-pressure (orange) hose and replaced this less regularly.

(I remember that, for a while after the 2004 UK standardisation of a bulkhead-mounted  30mbar gas regulator and a high-pressure gas hose ('pigtail') with threaded end fittings, some motorhome/caravan dealerships carrying out annual habitation servicing insisted on replacing the (quite expensive) pigtail during the service as hose replacement had been what they had always done in the past.) 

Archived