Round the Baltic

peterjl

Hi everbody

some years ago we drove up Sweden and back through Norway. Brilliant trip. 60 days in total without pushing it.

currently we are on our way home ( in Brugge for dog vetting early tomorrow) from 4 weeks driving round souther Sweden.

this has us thinking about driving round the Baltic. Proposed route would be through Germany. Poland and up through Baltic states to Tallin ( we have toured Poland before but the 3 Baltic states are the only European countries we haven’t visited with exception of Albania where insurance is an issue). Then up Finland round the top to Umea, a detour down the Wilderness Road, then home via Denmark etc.

via Michelin has a trip of 4000 miles from/to calais so add 50% for detours that’s 6000 miles.

my question is, who else on the forum have done this ( I recall someone doing this but my searching couldn’t find) and how long did it take plus of course any tips.

Leaving early May I am reckoning on 50 days cos that’s 120 miles a day on average which feels doable given there will be some longer days and some rest days. Is that reasonable given the roads and conditions? I have budgeted 50 days cos that gives me a buffer of 10 days before home insurance becomes an issue.

I know about Finnish dog regs re getting wormed 1-5 days prior to entry. The ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki  is only 2 hours or so so dogs would be fine in the Moho.

Does this sound doable or should I be less ambitious?

peter

I think you are too optimistic.

It took us three weeks to visit the three Baltic republics  well enough (entry and exit from the Kalvarija border between Poland and Lithuania).

I say enough because we spent little time in the capitals, just one day in Vilnius (suffocating heat) and another in Riga (raining), two in Tallinn (then ferry to Helsinki).

Ten days are needed just for worthy Southern Finland (Porvoo – Savonlinna – Kerimaki – Punkaharju – Joensuu – Jyväskylä – Tampere – Nantali – Turku Espoo – Helsinki).

In Sweden unmissable the Isle of Öland (three days, access by bridge) and Gotland/Fårö are highly recommendable (at least four days including ferry forth and back).

Max

Thankyou Robin and Max.

Robin, so the 3000 miles and 25 days was Uk to Uk? If so it makes it feasible.

Max, we have just completed 28 days in souther Sweden ( south of Mora) when we included Opland etc.some places we would return to, others not so much. Really loved Kosta and Glasrik. Visited twice, before and after Opland cos the photographic opportunities in the hot glass shops, where you are next to them pouring glass, is amazing. Really feel the heat. I decided they cannot have health and safety rules cos you just wonder up to the glass blowers.

I am going to do more research. I do wonder when some of the roads open cos of snow. Last time in Norway, late May early June, some roads closed by weather.

No trouble with biting insects this May June ( well a couple but no big deal) but I wonder if, on a longer trip the latter part of June could be a problem.

lastly the Swedish school holidays, the huge campsites we sometimes used were effective empty but the school break up mid June I I beleive the sites go crazy so want to avoid that.

Peter 

8 minutes ago, peterjl said:

Robin, so the 3000 miles and 25 days was Uk to Uk? If so it makes it feasible.

Yes. Though we would have liked a little longer, that was all we could loosen up between family commitments.

Some things to note, though:

As the trip log highlights, it was a bit of a road trip, only do-able with good distances between stops. The driving doesn't faze me (and the roads were generally clear and easy) but it might others.

It was also assisted by the Harwich-Esbjerg ferry, which no longer runs. All the arrival points on the Continent might now require several more days to get up to the same starting point.

Our particular experience was helped by the rather good weather, and the extended light evenings of the chosen season, meaning we could get good exploring in after arriving at a site, even after a long drive.

I'd do it again, but ideally with a few more days (especially given the ferry situation).

On another trip we visited Sundborn (Carl Larsson house and garden), Östersund, Vilhelmina, Arvidsjaur, Jokkmokk and Gällivare (Swedish Lapland).
These are the stages of our Swedish journey (we came from Denmark and left it for Germany).
Already said, Gotland and Oland are beautiful, but the whole west coast is just as beautiful.

Helsinborg (ferry from Helsingor-Denmark)
Goteborg
Marstrand
Skärhamn
Fiskebäckskil
Lysekil
Brastad
Backa
Smögen
Fjällbacka
Tanumshede
Trollhättan
Läckö Slott
Vadstena
Falun (copper mine)
Nusnäs
Mora
Skokloster
Sigtuna
Strängnäs
Gripsholms Slott
Ösmo
Nynäshamn (Ferry to Isle of Gotland)
Visby
Högklint
Tofta
Eskelhem
Öja
Burgsvik (Hoburgen Raukar)
Ljugarn
Bunge
Fårö (Small Isle, ten minutes ferry)
Lickershamn
Källunge
Endre
Ekeby
Barlingbo
Visby (Ferry to continental Sweden)
Oskarshamn
Växjö (Glasrik)
Kalmar (Bridge to Öland)
Resmo
Stora Alvaret
Ottenby
Eketors Borg
Norra Udde
Lottorp
Sandvik
Köpings
Borgholm (Bridge backwards)
Kalmar
Älmhult (IKEA Museum)
Lomma
Lund
Malmö
Smygehamn
Trelleborg (ferry to Germany)

Max

p.s. We had seen a glass factory, but for us Italians who have Murano it was not very special.

Hi

I have to agree with "mtravel" You need more time for that distance of a road trip to enjoy and have less pressure on yourself. Also as "Robinhood" points out the Harwich-Esbjerg ferry,  no longer runs

But what a fabulous overall trip , do enjoy

Excellent pointers from Robinhood and mtravel

Regards

Thank you everybody.

we generally use train to Calais then drive cos it’s better for the dogs(  2 labradors). Similarly I prefer shorter ferries, less than say 6 hours, cos again labradors will just sleep on crossings of that nature.

we have visited Sweden a couple of times, Finland in Winter, Poland: a 5 week tour round country including up near to Belorussian border, and Germany countless times, so I do not feel need to do lots of stops in most of those, rest rest days and easy drives.

that leaves the Baltics and Finland in the spring as main objectives plus wilderness road which we have missed on other trips.

thankyou for your thoughts. I am going to plot this out in detail and look at options to shorten plus push the trip to 60 days. 

I will let you know.

Turning to the glass, below is a link to the first draft of a photographic panel. Only roughly processed but has promise. It was the closeness to the glass workers that I loved. 

https://www.behance.net/gallery/171429775/Glasriket

all the best 

Peter 

19 hours ago, spirou said:

Been up and down the baltic states a few times on way to Finland. Slept one night wherever it caught us and continued through to Poland/Finland. Not that much to see, but that's just me. I like anything but flat landscapes.

Well, certainly the three countries are quite flat but they have very beautiful forests, lakes and parks. Everything is somehow comparable to the Finnish natural environment.
They also have a history that should not be underestimated, including the Russian, German and more Russian dominations of the 20th century.
It certainly wasn't our best trip ever but it still left us with great memories.
Below our stops in the three countries.

LITHUANIA:
Kalvarija - Birstonas – Trakai -Vilnius – Ignalina – Moletai – Zalvariai – Rokiskis – Birzai – Salociai
LATVIA:
Pilsrundale – Bauska – Sigulda – Turaida - Cesis – Valmiera – Valka
ESTONIA:
Viljandi – Tartu – Kallaste (Lake Peipus) – Narva (Russian border) – Valaste – Ontika – Rakvere – Vosu (Lahemaa Park) – Tallin (Ferry to and from Finland) – Haapsalu – Virtsu (Ferry) – Kuressare (Isle of Saarema) – Saare – Kihelkonna – Kuressare – Kuivatsu (Ferry backwards) – Parnu
On our way back
LATVIA:
Ainazi – Riga – Jurmala – Kolka – Ventspil – Kuldiga – Liepaja
LITHUANIA:
Butinge  – Palanga – Kretinga – Klaipeda (Ferry t oIsle of Neringa) – Nida – Juodkrante – Klaipeda (Ferry backwards) – Plungé – Rietavas – Tverai – Telsiai – Kryziu Kalnas – Siauliai – Grazina – Seduva – Tytuvenai – Siluva – Kaunas