Why have the mains socket moved on some new Motorhomes

VicB

I have noticed that mains socket on some new Motorhomes has moved from the left (non social side) to the right side, which is the social side. Does anyone know why, as personally I think utilities should be on the non social side as they basically get in the way and can be a potential snag issue. 

Hi Vic and welcome,

Well in over 15 years of MH'ing I have never heard of social and non social sides of a MH! In fact as our AutoTrail is UK manufactured we treat the left as our social side and have noticed this appears to be the norm on the rallies and camp sites we have used. Also our mains inlet is on the right so our non social side! Is your MH a continental model with the habitation door on the right hand side by any chance?

Keith.

Hi Keith, 

yes, a continental model, with the door on the right. My previous motorhome was also continental but electric hookup on the left. I’ve done some research but not found a reason for the change. Even the dealer did not know!

Sounds strange to put utilities on the ‘social’ side. Should I call it the ‘party’ side? 😀

28 minutes ago, VicB said:

Sounds strange to put utilities on the ‘social’ side. Should I call it the ‘party’ side? 😀

I would call it the habitation door side! Most MH'ers seem to congregate outside the hab door.

14 hours ago, VicB said:

...yes, a continental model, with the door on the right. My previous motorhome was also continental but electric hookup on the left....

It would be interesting to know the make/model and build-year of your current motorhome.

I've owned three motorhomes - a 1996 UK-built Herald and two Continental-Europe-built models (2005 Hobby and 2015 Rapido) and all of them had the 230V hook-up point on the opposite side to the habitation-area entrance door. Consequently, the UK-built motorhome had the hook-up point in the vehicle's right-hand side, and vice-versa for the Continental European-built models. This seems to me to be a sensible approach as it avoids having a 230V power-cable close to the habitation door (where one would expect to find an awning or safari-room located) but I don't think there is any historical or revised 'legislation' about this.

Motorhome converters habitually do what's easiest for them and the position of exterior functional features will tend to be driven by the motorhome's interior layout. For example, the water-filling point of my 2005 Hobby was in the left side and the 2015 Rapido's was in the right side - but that's where the filling-point had to be as those were the sides where the fresh-water tank was located inside the vehicle.

I was puzzled by the title. My PVC has 13A socket outlets on both sides at the front for convenience, and another couple towards the rear.

However on reading the thread all became clear.  The OP is confused as to correct electrical terminology.  The EHU inlet mounted on a MH is a plug, as it has pins, whereas the end of the EHU lead which connects to the MH is a trailing socket.

We are all probably guilty of loosely using the phrase "Plug it in.".,

Also with over 30 years of MH experience I too have not previously encounterd the term "social side".

Alan

The French manufacturer Challenger/Chausson fits to many of its coachbuilt motorhomes a "Technibox" (image below) that combines electrical and water 'services' and the 230V hook-up connection is located adjacent to the Technibox locker.

image.jpeg.4bdf1968bf8b2c7e396fe4c4ecd2b6b3.jpeg

So, whichever side of the motorhome the fresh-water reservoir is, that's the side where the Technibox locker will be installed and where the 230V hook-up connection ("prise exterieure d'alimentation 230V" in French) will be.

I would be more worried about having to fight with having to remove the toilet cassette if it’s accessible on the social side. 

Drive away awnings always seem to have guys, poles or summat similar in conflicting locations such as locker doors, windows.

rgds

1 hour ago, onecal said:

Hi Max

I sometimes think this applies to not just Motorhomes, what can one do?

Just think that most European and American cars have the fuel filler neck on the right side.
The RHD ones and I'm not talking about the English ones on the left one.
Like my Toyota.
Once it was an advantage, less queues at the distributor, now that 70% of the cars are from Japan it is the opposite.

24 minutes ago, onecal said:

Of course , manufacturing convenience, keeping down costs  

One way to lower costs is to eliminate left-hand traffic markets.

Japan first and then the UK.

Australia doesn't count, they drive upside down.

India would remain but there they go against traffic even on the motorways.

Archived