Re, a few posts from 2012 Clutch problems, Burstner elegance

Very same problem and its 20/06/23 

My vehicle been off road and been to 3 different garages.

1st had it for 2 months to eventually be told they could do nothing to it as if it broke down on a test drive, they had no way of getting it back to the garage and I had to find out this myself. Had to then pay £500 to put it to a professional garage?. where it sat since February this year without being seen to so had it taken again to Dundee where I picked it up to take it back to Aberdeen and it failed again at a major roundabout.

Going back to garage in a couple of days and they are not being very helpful so far, blaming my driving etc... 

Any further advice appreciated. Camper UK have been very very helpful but the guy they need to speak to is off till next week. 

Sick of rudeness and feeling like a hypochondriac .Thanking you in anticipation.

Bob

20210725_152424.jpg

13 minutes ago, Keithl said:

Bob,

First let me say welcome to the forum, then ask if this is in reply to an old thread? If so please can you add a link to that thread. Simple copy and paste of the URL or use the Quote button.

Keith

I have not used this before and it was my friend who was telling me about it. She read about it a few minutes ago. Burstner Elegance automatic gear box. 

Bob,

I have just read through that old thread and it all seems related to reversing with the Comfortmatic box yet you say your clutch failed at a roundabout so what is the connection?

Possibly detail exactly how your Comfortmatic clutch failed and someone may be able to help. If needed I can ask Nick Fisher, who is the MMM technical Guru on Fiats, to read your problem and advise.

Keith.

The old thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/27628-burstner-elegance-clutch/

began on December 28, 2012 with an enquiry from "mike kingdom" who had joined the Out&AboutLive forum that day. He said

Hi - anyone else had problems with the so called automatic gear box CLUTCH on a 2012 Fiat Ducato Burstner Elegance ? Bought mine new in June 2012, by September (and less than 600 miles) the CLUTCH had gone and I lost the ability to pull away from a standstill, whether on the level, on grass or slight incline - just revved away without moving - very embarresing !! .... Had it replaced a month later and after only 100 miles or so it went again .... Fiat are looking in to it ... But it would be nice to hear from anyone else with a similar problem or if anyone has a solution.

There were 6 replies and the thread concluded on December 29, 2012. "mike kingdom" never posted on these forums again.

The 2012 thread was revived by "9orchard" (Trevor) on April 4, 2014 relating to clutch-overheating while reversing on his sloping driveway. Plenty of in-depth responses were provided and the thread ground to a halt on April 7, 2014.

Trevor did post again (in 2017) asking about reversing-camera wiring and a problem with the air-bag warning light. In 2017 he still owned the Burstner Elegance motorhome, but no mention was made about how the clutch-overheating issue had been resolved.

One potential difficulty is that Bob's van was apparently first registered between 1 September 2011 and 28 February 2012, so is now 11 years old, and will presumably have had a number of other owners in that time who may, wittingly or unwittingly, have abused the clutch.  It is also possible that, if previously used extensively, and taking account of the probable weight of the van (it isn't clear exactly which Elegance model Bob has) it may just be a case of wear over those 11 or so years.

The mechanical parts of a Comfortmatic transmission are essentially the same as those in the manual transmission, the "automatic" function being provided via a series of computer controlled servos that engage and disengage the clutch and change the gears according to instructions from the central gearbox control unit.  It is therefore possible the the problem is no more than a shot clutch, but may equally be due to inoperative servos, a corrupted control unit program, or damaged wiring between the one and the other.  This will need investigation by a Fiat (because it is all their kit) workshop experienced in Comfortmatic "idiosyncrasies".

A further complication may be access for whatever repair is required.  Access to the engine bay for anything more than basic servicing is often limited by the size of "bonnet" opening on A-class vans, with serious interventions requiring removal of the whole transmission to a workbench, which not all Fiat professional garages may be equipped (or skilled) to do.

It isn't clear whether Bob bought the van privately, or from a dealer, and if from a Dealer, whether they are a Burstner dealer (who might be assumed to have more knowledge of Burstner vans than others).  Bob hasn't mentioned any warranty on the van when sold, but even so, if the seller is a dealer they have some legal liability for what they sell - though how much will depend on the basis of the sale.  In view of the probable purchase cost (examples on the net suggest around £70K), I think this needs some initial legal advice, so I'd suggest Bob contacts Citizen's Advice for advice/guidance on how best to proceed in the first instance.

However, it seems that no-one has yet diagnosed the actual problem with his van, and until that diagnosis is obtained, no-one can offer much guidance on possible cures, or their cost.

It isn't quite clear where Bob lives.  It seems he may be in Scotland (Dundee, Aberdeen?), but he seems also to have contacted Camper UK, who are Lincoln based, which is some way South of the border!  If Bob can clarify it may help others to suggest reliable Fiat/Burstner dealers/workshops near to where he lives for him to approach.

Not of much direct help, I'm afraid, but first stop diagnosis by a reliable, adequately equipped and skilled workshop near home, then estimate of cost, then, if cost excessive, investigation of seller's likely remaining legal liability on an 11 year old vehicle.  Sorry!  🙂 

23 hours ago, Keithl said:

Bob,

I have just read through that old thread and it all seems related to reversing with the Comfortmatic box yet you say your clutch failed at a roundabout so what is the connection?

Possibly detail exactly how your Comfortmatic clutch failed and someone may be able to help. If needed I can ask Nick Fisher, who is the MMM technical Guru on Fiats, to read your problem and advise.

Keith.

After driving approx 50 miles a 60mph, I approached a roundabout and gradually took my right foot off the accelerator and pressed the break on approach to the roundabout, slowly and stopped at the roundabout and it jumped out of first gear so had to manually put it into reverse to get it off the roundabout where I was blocking the traffic. This only seems to start happening after she has been running for at least 40 miles. Garages apparently can not find a fault and suggested it may be a driving error which it is not and I have offered to drive while while someone can observe but apparently they do not have time to do this length of journeys on a test drive?

Bob,

Thanks for updating with exact details of your problem.

Two suggestions, first arrange with a garage to join you for a test drive but tell them a specific time and drive 30+ miles to get there so they should experience the problem within possibly ten miles.

Second, contact Nick Fisher through MMM's technical helpline https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/information/mmm-tech-help addressing your problem specifically to Nick. He used to run a van rental business and had Comfortmatic's on his fleet.

Keith.

Hi

A heads up, an easy check along with contaminated fluids,sadly may not always be the cause of your  problem, is to check the wiring harness below and under  the bonnet below the dash as it sometime shorts it out against the wiper motor arm when engine under bonnet temp warms up the loom. This can cause similer intermittent problems you may be encountering, You still need to have it scanned for faults and as advised take it from there    

This 2022 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/53553-fiat-ducato-2019-comfort-matic-gearbox-problem/

described a scenario that sounds similar to Bob's, mentioned the possibility of a 'driving error' (pressing brake and accelerator pedals simultaneously) being the culprit, and suggested replacement of the brake-light switch as an initial approach.

A GOOGLE-search using fiat comfortmatic problems as the search-term might be worth carrying out.

Hi Derek

That is well known and surly would have been mentioned to Bob and been replaced if indeed faulty, Also an easy fix and reset 

I have found the loom on a few to be problematic shorting out off the wiper arm area and also contaminated fluids to be a main contributor to a lot of gearbox faults on same 

Needs to be scanned and data diagnosed first  

Hi Bob

Just a question, has the gearbox ECU been recalibrated, by any of these garages?

On 6/20/2023 at 7:25 PM, OrkneyRoad Runner said:

My vehicle been off road and been to 3 different garages.

1st had it for 2 months to eventually be told they could do nothing to it as if it broke down on a test drive, they had no way of getting it back to the garage and I had to find out this myself. Had to then pay £500 to put it to a professional garage?. where it sat since February

I had a call from the garage today to let me know they found the fault.

It was just fortunate that it failed at a roundabout.

Thanks so much for your help here and I will put in full details of what was wrong and why it was so hard to diagnose. They found it by luck if you can call it that? after months of being off the road while still insured and taxed etc...hopefully this will be worth it but confidence is right out the window just now. Just hoping it is fixed this time. My situation may be able to help someone else with the same problem.

What a brilliant idea setting up this kind of support guys!!!

Archived