Motorhome charging problem

Roy stone

Hi chaps just wondering if any ideas about my problem. Just taken delivery of a new hobby motorhome and the leisure battery will charge on 240v but slowly drains the battery when I am driving around? I know it is under warranty, any thoughts cheers 

• Keithl changed the title to Motorhome charging problem
17 minutes ago, Roy stone said:

Hi at the moment the battery only dischargees gradually when I am driving 

Do you have the fridge set to 12 V when this happens?

Sometimes the fridge is wired off the leisure battery with a D+ controlled relay rather than off the starter battery, so if the leisure battery is not being charged then the fridge current is being from the leisure battery hence the discharge. 

The short answer is to get your van back to the dealer who sold it.  You describe it as a "new Hobby motorhome" and say it is under warranty.  Attempts to fix the problem by other than a Hobby dealership may invalidate the Hobby warranty, which may also stipulate that any suspected faults should be notified to an authorised dealer (usually the selling dealer - who in addition is legally responsible for remedying them under consumer legislation) as soon as possible after they are detected.  A failure to do this may result in avoidable further faults/damage (for example to the battery, charging system, or alternator - unlikely, I know, but until the fault is correctly identified who can say?).

So, as above, first 'phone the dealer, advise them of the problem, and seek their guidance on how the proceed.  Then, of it blows up in their faces they can't deflect the blame (and the possible bill!) back onto you!

Archived