Gaslow system

soulman

Hi, looking at buying my first 2nd hand Motor Home. It has the Yellow refillable Gaslow bottles. I have heard that garages etc are uninstalling these pumps. After looking at my local area for the stockist there isnt any listed. Looking to the future, what will I need to do to revert back to a Red Butane system. Is it just a change of regulator that I could do myself. Thanks in advance

We have gaslow bottles. Lpg isn’t going anywhere. Have you used the various lpg apps/ web site like such as my lpg.eu There are others as well. Remember you don’t need an empty bottle to fill up, just fill when you are passing somewhere. We live in Lincolnshire, lpg in town, but our last fill was Newton Stewart in Scotland. If you have a look at forums like Motorhome fun there are a number of threads about this issue. Some van dealers are installing pumps. Some taxi companies sell to the public. Ask your nearest Motorhome dealer where they get the vans filled up.

We wouldn’t want to be lugging cylinders around, and as far as I can tell they are not too easy to swap either.

52 minutes ago, soulman said:

Looking to the future, what will I need to do to revert back to a Red Butane system. Is it just a change of regulator that I could do myself. Thanks in advance

You would not need to change the regulator. Just connect the red PROPANE bottle/s to the regulator/changeover via high pressure hose/s.  Remove the gaslow input hose and fit a blank plug to the filler if you want it to stay in place.

We also have two Gaslow bottles and we installed the Autogas app on the phone. We have never had any problems finding gas stations. We shop around for the best price, as it can vary between 125p per litre and 75p. Morrisons is the cheapest at the moment in our area

Stuart

soulman

There's no doubt that the number of outlets selling autogas has reduced in recent years and that there will now be 'desert' areas in the UK. For instance, until fairly recently, within 10 miles of where I live there used to be 5 autogas-selling outlets: now there are 2 and (not long ago) autogas was temporarily unavailable from both those providers.

However - as hja advised above - for the foreseeable future (and with a little advance planning) you should have no unsurmountable difficulty obtaining autogas while motorcaravanning in the UK, even though there may be no provider on your doorstep.

Assuming that your motorhome has a bulkhead-mounted 'fixed' regulator or change-over-device, although the tidiest way to allow a UK propane canister to be used instead of a Gaslow bottle would be to replace the gas hose (gas 'pigtail') with a UK-norm propane-type hose, an end-adapter for the hose could be used instead (example here)

https://www.gasit.co.uk/uk-pol-to-21-8lh-male.html

(This might be an attractive approach if (say) the existing gas 'pigtail' were an expensive stainless-steel type.)

In France a kind lady from the payment booth walked over to us with a French adapter. 
we already had one, but so kind of her and we found so many more garages with gas than the Uk. 
Never had a problem in the Uk, I just top up frequently and never let it worry me. 

I wouldn't entertain the removal of my gaslow system infact I am now only able to fit one of my two bottles in my new to me MH so am going to replace them with a single but far larger one. Best thing I ever did was to get rid of 'normal' ones which are a horrendous price and nothing like as convenient. 

1 hour ago, Derek Uzzell said:

Just to add that in Europe LPG pumps are everywhere. Just back from driving round Sweden and no problems refilling. 

Or France Derek though I only filled up at one non motorway station and that was in Bergerac. 

9 hours ago, GandJP said:

I have to say I have never seen a manned one and have always had to use things by myself. 

I meant the LPG station was unmanned. It was not a diesel/petrol station just LPG. The pump was an auto pump with card payment and available 24/7.

Over the years there have been occasional reports on motorhome forums about people with 'Gaslow-type' canisters having problems refilling those bottles in Italy. (2017 example here)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/40820-lpg-refilling-in-italy/

The mylpg.eu website carries the following advice

It is prohibited to fill LPG by yourself in Italy. So it is impossible to fill LPG on stations when they are not attended (usually from 19:00 or 20:00 till 07:00 at night). Usually stations along motorways stay open also during the night.

Archived