Unusual Motorhomes

John52

Surprisingly perhaps, but one of those vehicles was owned by a very wealthy Belgium couple, only 'inventiveness' applied, certainly not necessity. On the other hand the bunch of reprobates with this errrr motorhome......... 

5.jpg

3 hours ago, snail said:

Your first photo of the double height lorry  we used to see them in Spain when overwintering, selling solar panels etc, thought they were Dutch? 

You're correct, Dutch couple. They still overwinter in Spain, these days to be seen wilding on Cullera beach. Still flogging motorhome electricals, and carrying out the odd bit of work on customer vehicles. The multi extendable lorry conversion was a total self build, ingenious design by a very capable guy.  When the 'upper' storey and sides are wound down (or in) ready for travel, it could almost pass muster for being considered as a stealth lorry!

Edited by simians

Yes we often stayed at Cullera, Burt and Antoinette, she used to cycle round with flyers

We used to meet up with Alan from Cornwall with his home build 5th wheeler amongst many others, a German guy also in a Hymer with his Parrot!  

1 hour ago, snail said:

Yes we often stayed at Cullera, Burt and Antoinette, she used to cycle round with flyers

We used to meet up with Alan from Cornwall with his home build 5th wheeler amongst many others, a German guy also in a Hymer with his Parrot!  

Have met Allen aka VW Allen, on a few occasions, although not in recent years. I dropped in to Cullera early this year. The area where wild camping was tolerated is now much reduced. I've never stayed there more than a day or two, way too crowded for me and no direct view of the Med!

The pic of Antionette and Burts 2 storey edifice was taken on Guardia Viejas nr Almerima years ago. 

Haha, small world we probably met somewhere, Alan and his mate Bob, we called on Alan at his home a month ago, not travelling anymore but seems content enough, Bob's still fultiming met him in Scotland last spring, happy days!  

Bob, known as Purple Bob I think, always travelled with Vwalan. Small world indeed, at least the Espana Med. region that is. But not surprising really, 95% of the winter wanderers travelling down the costas mostly via the A7 or the N340 inevitably crossing paths at the nearby campsites, wildspots etc.,  sometimes 4 or 5 times a season! The unpopular alternative being inland and cold of course.

I'd better stop rabbiting on, the thread is supposed to be about unusual motorhomes not unusual people !  

Edited by simians

The OP mentioning about the space in the engine bay reminded me of when a friend and me (in our late teens) stood inside a Morris Minor engine bay on either side of the engine and just lifted the engine out for reconditioning.

• 2 months later...
On 04/07/2023 at 15:51, onecal said:

That BMW Isetta would be very tricky to get in and out of in the mornings lol 

Lovely photos , I am sure brings back some memories 

Regards

I asked the owner about that because I heard they had no reverse gear - which could mean that if you stopped too close to something in front you couldn't get out!!

He said his had got a reverse gear, but some owners put a gate across the gear lever to prevent it being used to comply with some English regulation - so it could be taxed like a motorbike that has no reverse gear.

That was what it was all about - designing something with 3 wheels and under 8cwt so it could be driven at 16 on a motorbike licence and motorbike tax.  People take the p!ss out of the Reliant Robin (as on Fools & Horses) by comparing it unfairly with a four wheeled car.  But, to be fair, I don't think anyone could build a better car than the Reliant Robin under those limitations and at that time.

I only got to speak to the car owners.

The three who played Gina (barmaid) Rosie (mechanic) and David (village idiot) were sat under a marquee on the village green but the queue to speak to them was too long for me.

I noticed Rosie still looked as young as she did in the series 20+ years earlier.

• 3 weeks later...