France - Car Pooling Lanes (NEW)

mtravel

France is introducing dedicated lanes for carpooling, taxis and zero-emission vehicles.

The signal is like the one below, as I understand the background can also be blue.

The fine for non-compliance appears to be €135.

Note: On motorways, a lane may have variable use, the displays will show it by turning on a symbol of the same shape.

Car Pooling Lane sign.png

More on this here

https://www.holidaypirates.com/travel-magazine/avoid-this-fine-on-french-motorways

and here

https://area-covoiturage.com/

The material on the 2nd link translates to English pretty well and (as I understand it and mtravel mentions) the 'road side' version of the sign will be a white lozenge on a blue background (comme ça)

image.png.c036e83f05941e1f7a3dd13eaf0c85cf.png

while the illuminated version used on autoroutes will just have the lozenge (as shown in post above).

We’ve just returned from 6 weeks in France. I didn’t noticed any covoiturage road signs but did see designated covoiturage parking areas in a couple of small towns – can’t remember where. These are signs I’ve not seen before in France.

Cattwg :classic_biggrin:

21 minutes ago, Cattwg said:

We’ve just returned from 6 weeks in France. I didn’t noticed any covoiturage road signs but did see designated covoiturage parking areas in a couple of small towns – can’t remember where. These are signs I’ve not seen before in France.

Cattwg :classic_biggrin:

Covoiturage parking are there since a while.

Where I’ve seen carpooling lanes in the UK, they seem to accept any vehicle with 2+ people.  (Think there’s one just south of Bristol, for instance.). Does anyone know what the French definition of covoiturage is, ie how many to count?  If it’s again 2, those of us travelling as a couple in a MH would appear to meet the definition.

I think covoiturage car parking is quite established in France- more so than here, I think.

Archived