shower and toilet layout

Jon B

Hi, looking to buy a motorhome and considering the layout of toilet and shower. I am thinking having a combined shower and toilet (walk through or feet in shower to go to the loo is is not great). Although would like to get other peoples feedback on this.

Any help appreciated.

Jonathan.

My thoughts are:

Saving space Vs.  Water every where it misses the shower curtain (if you have one). 

If you have a shower curtain, it is surprisingly clingy when it decides to wrap itself around you ( and uncomfortably cold)

Wet damp contents in cupboards, possibility’s of mould in awkward places to dry. 

Emergency evacuation of shower when soaped up to allow access for fellow traveler to  the loo.   

Maybe I am just biased ?

Rgds

Having your feet in the shower tray whilst using the toilet is common in many motorhomes, it's nothing to be worried about. Saying that our van doesn't have this arrangement, it has another which many just can't understand if they haven't used it, the shower tray is in the 'corridor' from sleeping area to living area and covered by a panel. 

Think our Pioneer Renoir has a really good bathroom layout. Across the rear of the van with central door from kitchen/lounge area. Toilet on left with fairly large cupboards above/behind. Shower enclosure with wash hand basin and solid plexiglass type folding door to close it off in shower mode. The gas locker is beneath the sink accessed from outside. Lots of lights, plenty of daylight from opening window and vented through a small rooflight over the shower area.

Depends if you are looking for a new model or used. The Renoir is no longer built but can still be found. The alternative Autocruise Starburst has the same arrangement.

David

The larger the motorhome the greater the likelihood that it will have a dedicated shower enclosure, but there are plenty of smaller models that have 'clever' bathroom designs that avoid potential wet feet when using the toilet.

This link may be of interest

https://www.hortoncommon.co.uk/best-small-motorhomes/

Obviously, if 'wet feet syndrome' can be avoided, that's a good thing. My first and third coachbult motorhomes both had a combined toilet/shower compartment and I didn't greatly enjoy swabbing this dry after a shower had been taken. My second (relatively compact) coach built motorhome had a separate shower compartment, so there was no immediate need to dry this out after showering (though I normally still did this!) which was convenient if one was in a hurry. 

Size matters - not just the dimensions of the motorhome, but also of the owners. I recall looking at a really small motorhome at a French show and standing in its minimalist shower. A French couple were watching me do this and I heard the wife say to her (large) husband "OK for someone slim like him - no use for you".

Usage frequency and the number of users should also be considered. Many motorcaravanners rarely, or never, use the onboard shower, so a combined toilet/shower is fine for them. A family with children who plan to spend a lot of time off-campsite, may find separated toilet and shower facilities very important.

If the space in front of the toilet is also the shower tray consider comfort when "enthroned".  The distance from toilet seat to shower tray/floor can be sufficiently great as to leave one's feet dangling - although this obviously depends on whether one is a descendent of King Edward ("longshanks") 1 of England.  🙂

I think the best advice is to look at a lot of different vans to find layouts that suits you.

These vehicles are all compromises, and we are all different, so what is acceptable to one is unacceptable to others.  You'll be very lucky if you find a van that is exactly right for you in all respects, so it is best to get the high priority areas right, but with an eye to altering/adapting those areas which fall short.

Just don't under-estimate the amount, and kind, of work those alterations may require vis a vis what you are able to do yourself and/or can reliably commission from others.  In which connection, if buying new, or nearly new, do keep the warranty terms clearly in mind before finally deciding.

Hello JohnB, 

Interesting. Ours is a bespoke pvc, and was designed to be used on commercial sites, or sites with access to “conventional” toilets and showers.

Our onboard facilities are quite generous in area, and come into the feet in the shower category. My solution is a purpose made “duckboard”

We use our onboard toilet for emergencies, in transit and overnight . In fact, in 11years of use we have barely used it for No2s, and because of the clingy shower curtain syndrome, and the campershowering techniques, never tested the water flow and temperature stability of the very expensive Combi heating system.

We like the comfort of ceramic.

I would just ask, do you need the facilities you think you need?

If you spend a lot of time “off grid” or “wild camping” then dangling feet may be an issue, certainly having to vacate the shower at short notice could be a concern.

regards

Albertslad 

Hi again, 

I’ve just reread Brian’s comments, and couldn’t, agree more, though I’ve never considered trying to adapt a mainstream van. If it’s that far out it’s too far out.

I think maybe the tape measure is key to this, and “caravan” width doors are fine, but turning around in some vans, critically in the toilets, looks tricky. Best idea is to try then out.

cheers: Albertslad

Have a combined loo/shower. Ours has a swing wall so loo etc remains dry. Yes, you walk on shower floor when use washbasin or loo, but it is not like a separate shower tray, the floor is the shower tray. We have a 6.4m PVC so the whole room isnt large and its not easy to dry yourself without stepping out at some point - maybe to get to toiletries that are behind the swing wall. As Brian said, all vans are a compromise, look at lots to see the various layouts. Our first van was after having a 2 berth caravan with a fantastic bathroom/dressing room but just not possible in a small motorhome.  We do use our shower and loo, all the time, in preference to site facilities and when on CLs with no such facilities.

I understand the layout Colin talks about - we saw it when looking for our current van. Decided it wouldnt do for us because it didnt allow easy access to bed area and kitchen whilst one person was in the shower,  but horses for courses.

Priorities are crucial. You dont spend long in the loo/shower. In our view other aspects are more important, like overall size of van, fixed beds, kitchen big enough to cook meals with sufficient work surface.

1 hour ago, hja said:

I understand the layout Colin talks about - we saw it when looking for our current van. Decided it wouldnt do for us because it didnt allow easy access to bed area and kitchen whilst one person was in the shower,  but horses for courses.

I understand it's not for everyone, but I believe in a small van it's one of the best available, it's true that for the time someone is in shower the fridge and one end of van is not available for the other person, but how long does anyone spend in the shower. The big upsides are that the washroom is fairly large for a 'small' van, and when using the washroom you can have the entire rear (or front) of van, and when not in use it takes up a fairly small space.

Thanks for all the feedback and links. Thinking of the wet feet thing, a walk through the toilet area to the shower, is that preferable to avoid this? Agree with comments about the clingy curtain as have had that at home, so good shout out.

In my reply I should of added:

A separate shower is useful for “throwing” in wet stuff after a wet day. Wet walking gear, silver screens ( if you use them), boots etc.

Not something you want to share is dripping clothes whilst contemplating on the loo. AND your reading matter gets soggy.

Rgds

Since Covid we have decided to use our onboard toilet & shower rather than park facilities. Fortunately our Adria has a separate shower & toilet in the bathroom along with a window & roof opening combined with toilet bowl disposable liners have helped to make the whole body cleansing process a diddle. Recently I have been looking at the options available to downsize to a 6+ mtr campervan, however I always look at the combined shower/toilet area and walk away. It is not a compromise either of us are prepared to make.

One point I would make is that showers IMHO need two drains of the larger domestic variety rather than the barely adequate single small drain. Cheers.

As Geeco said two drain holes is a good call. Chances of you being absolutely level is not high so two drains give better chance of draining. Also with only one you sometimes have to get your van slightly tilted one way or another for drain.