Hi I'm a newbie, with a motorhome due to leave for 3 month trip on 1st August and has decided it doesn't want to go!

3.0l iveco ducato 2011

Will not rev sitting at 1000rpm pumping out Black reek

Was plugged in and faulted on crankshaft sensor, I replaced this with a bosch and the fault remained but cleared on the diagnostic reader.

Got a mobile mechanic who said faulty oil pressure switch, replaced but no change.

Got it plugged in to snap on diagnostic thingy and got these codes

U1602 can line; bus off

U171A refer to OEM REPAIR info for description 

Frazzled and disillusioned

50 miles from fiat dealer and would need to transport

Any help would be most gratefully received

If you don't have breakdown insurance of some kind that I'd suggest investigating this initially.

It seems to me it will need to go to an authorised workshop, and it sounds as though the problem is in the engine management electronics, which may have become corrupted, or need an update.

I assume the base vehicle is Fiat badged, and not IVECO, although I believe the engine is common to both brands - but even then there may be differing ECU programs.

Whatever, I think it needs to go into a Fiat Professional (commercial vehicles, not cars), or (depending on base vehicle branding) IVECO, workshop to be connected to the relevant (Fiat/IVECO) electronics for investigation.  It seems that will mean on a transporter, hence my suggestion re breakdown insurance.

I seem to remember either RAC or AA allowing owners of already broken down-vehicles to join and get immediate break-down assistance - providing they were open about their present circumstances.

Others may well come along with other possible causes, but time is not on your side and with an intervening weekend, it seems you need to act as soon as you possibly can.

Good luck.

Sounds like you have a low voltage and this happens to a lot of Motorhomes that are left uncharged for a prolonged period. Is your air bag light on ? One quick fix that just may help is to replace or add on a second earth strap engine to chassis and ensure your battery is fully charged Re set fault codes with your snap on  and recycle your ignition key and then start .Also check no pipes are disconnected or inlet blocked (mice) Also quick check to see if any fuses are blown ,otherwise take Brian's advice and take action as soon as possible if damage has occurred  

It may just help, sometimes you can be lucky by checking the simple things first

Make sure the starter battery is fully charged. 

The fault code readings make no sence , could be due to low volts .

Black smoke it too much fuel or not enough air. Common fault on this engine is throttle body, EGR pneumatic  control unit, and to a lessor extent the EGR itself. Failure in these components cause lack of air in the combustion.

Too much fuel can be a result of failing injectors, this may not produce a fault code but initial testing is not too difficult

There is a need to discover why there is a code reading error,  alternative code readers may help.

On your year vehicle there is a possibility of faults developering in the wiring loom and plug/sockets to the engine ECU and fuse box. This is in the area behind the nearside headlamp. This area  receives water leaking from the scuttle. 

A fault that will effect  all Fiat Ducato in time, is partial failure of the earth strap that connects gearbox to chassis , this can cause all sorts of electrical issues. Test this by connecting a jump lead from engine metal to earth point on body.

Apart from simple tests like  checking the air filter for rodent attack  and examining all large diameter pipework from turbo outlet to inlet manifold for splits or leaks, there is not much you can do without fault codes.

It's unusual for things to suddenly go wrong,  often there are warning symptoms. Is there anything that you can think of, or recent work on the engine, that could give a clue?

Any competent garage dealing with commercial vehicle repairs should be able to help, the IVECO 3.0 engine is fairly common. 

Mike

Hi

Yes I agree , I have come on a few with low battery and poor earths that causes some modules to go down One common one is the air bag module If he is going on holiday soon he really needs to get a good diagnostic check by a good Tech'  We await "Lindsay's" response to see did the basics help in anyway as there are so many variables from so little codes provided 

Regards 

Thanks all, have checked the fuse box beside the airfilter, flipped it around unplugged all the connections all appear dry and in place, the mesh cable covering the wires to the box was wet.

The battery under the seat was low, is this an additional starting battery to the one under the floor?

Only thing electrical I've done is replace the stereo head unit plug n play and added a powered antenna signal booster.

Nearest iveco workshop not taking any work till September!

Looked at pipe into air filter no mice.

Will try earthing with jump lead tomorrow 

So frustrating, should have been on the road today, hey ho

Hi 

It may look dry but is there a residue on the connections giving poor connections Dry out with gentle heat from a hair dryer . Also try unplugging your stereo head unit and powered antenna signal booster from where you have connected to for power and earths and re try 

Make sure your battery is fully charged and check all wiring for damage and good connections especially fuse box and where you made your connections for your stereo and Powered signal booster 

. Disconnect them all and re try . Wish you luck 

49 minutes ago, lindsay said:

Thanks all, have checked the fuse box beside the airfilter, flipped it around unplugged all the connections all appear dry and in place, the mesh cable covering the wires to the box was wet.

The battery under the seat was low, is this an additional starting battery to the one under the floor?

Only thing electrical I've done is replace the stereo head unit plug n play and added a powered antenna signal booster.

Nearest iveco workshop not taking any work till September!

Looked at pipe into air filter no mice.

Will try earthing with jump lead tomorrow 

So frustrating, should have been on the road today, hey ho

The battery under the seat will be the habitation battery, and while it should not be neglected, it is unlikely to be part of the problem.

Alan

Did you also do a voltage drop test on the wiring from the battery to  starter and alternator Also the earth from the battery  

Make sure your vehicle  battery is fully charged and check all wiring for damage and good connections especially fuse box and where you made your connections for your stereo and Powered signal booster after removing them 

Disconnect all the new connections you made for them and re try. Hope this helps 

The original  head unit inthe van may have connections  to the vehicle  can bus, depending  the original  build options. If you have fitted an alternative  head unit  there could be issues with the system bus. The fact you are getting errors in reading codes  implies electrical problems.

The wet cable loom  behind the NS headlamp is common due to water leaks.  What happens is that moisture finds a weak spot in the cable insulation and the copper corrodes. It's a daunting task carefully examining each wire  in the loom and testing for continuity. 

If all your issues started after your  electronics were modified that's a strong pointer to your changes  being responsible. Of course it could be a coincidence.

You need a mobile  technician with electrical skills to determine why you are not getting  reliable codes.  The fact that two previous ( not needed) repairs were carried out on the basis  of false or misinterpreted codes  is a worry.

Archived