Mobile WiFi solution

Thai Bry

We are about top embark on a longish tour of Scotland, rather than our usual annual trip to Germany.

This time we would like to take / have with us our own "secure"  WiFi, rather than use free wifi or hotspots.

Do any members of our superb people have a good solution / or personal recommendations that we can look at.

Many thanks in advance

Edited by Thai Bry

We have the Huawei 535 232 mi fi which we got free with our three contract. We have no broadband or landline at home and use this for all our internet.I guess it depends on the signal where you are.We carry it around the UK  and for abroad just change to a Popit sim. 

I have BT broadband and phone at home, which gives me free access to everyone else's BT router - millons of hotspots throughout the UK.  (although you only get the 'slack' the spare capacity the householder is not using.  So if they start downloading a movie or something it suddenly slows right down)

Works well in the remote areas of the highlands because there are few obstructions or competing signals.  I am using it now in cornwall.

PS: I am in a steel van I have a cheap ebay rocket antennae on the van roof - for which you need a USB socket on your device.  You might not need this in a coachbuilt where the signal can get through the walls?

Edited by John52

I'd say you have 3 main options;

i) Hot spot off an existing phone, I started with this open

ii) Use a mifi like the Huawai 5577 which I progressed onto

iii) Dedicated router like the Teltonikas which I now have with an external antenna

Either way you need a SIM with a decent connection. I believe EE are generally viewed as having the best coverage overall and my experience backs that up. We move data around various family owned SIM's to suit demand.

Each have their own pros and cons but this Youtuber has some useful guides

https://www.youtube.com/@ExploreVanUK/videos

Edited by Sydney1

25 minutes ago, Sydney1 said:

I'd say you have 3 main options;

i) Hot spot off an existing phone, I started with this open

ii) Use a mifi like the Huawai 5577 which I progressed onto

iii) Dedicated router like the Teltonikas which I now have with an external antenna

Either way you need a SIM with a decent connection. I believe EE are generally viewed as having the best coverage overall and my experience backs that up. We move data around various family owned SIM's to suit demand.

Each have their own pros and cons but this Youtuber has some useful guides

https://www.youtube.com/@ExploreVanUK/videos

So many thanks for this info.

I've been looking at the potential of a router with an external antenna. However of the more flexible kind -  where I can just detach the external antenna - when moving off for the next part of our journey.

We're looking to stay no longer than 2 nights at any site. Maybe a little longer at a bigger site to wash some clothes etc.etc.etc.

19 minutes ago, Robinhood said:

Whilst my MiFi can take external antennae, I've never bothered, and have generally had decent reception/performance in most places where there is a signal (though patently there are some "not-spots" where an antenna might help).

Whats your wifi make please

I have a MotorhomeWifi external roof aerial and internal router which uses a Huawei MiFi unit. This gives an amplified signal in the motorhome and we use it for all normal internet functions on our phones/laptop but, in addition, I have a Roku TV box for access to Netflix and catchup TV. Installed this one myself as it is fairly simple providing you have the courage to drill through your roof!

David

I have always used my phone as a hot spot when using my IPad. Have recently changed to ID mobile (owned by Carphone Warehouse) and for £8 pm get 30gb data which is rolled over. I only used 8gb last month so 22gb was rolled over so now have 52gb available for this month. Not sure if there is an upper limit on how much can be rolled over.

Edited by rooster63
Typo

..just a quick afterthought; If you do get a mifi, it's sensible to use a data SIM from a different network to your phone(s) as not all networks cover the same area.

If you subsequently use it abroad, different networks have different roaming partners.

And be aware that quite a few smaller providers piggyback on a main network (e.g. Tesco and Giffgaff are on O2)