Fiat Ducato 2012 Starter Battery

burtie2012

If it is the original battery that is still in use, do not take too long to choose.

The main limitations, will be the physical size and handling weight. I am assuming that there is space for an 019 size of battery, 354mm long.

When replacing the starter battery on my 2.8jtd as a precautionary measure at 10+ years old, I selected from major brands according to CCA (Cold Cranking Amperes) rating. My choice was a Varta H3 with an 830A CCA rating.

If restricting choice to Flooded Lead Acid (FLA) batteries it is possible to buy 019 size batteries with with a CCA rating of 900A.

If not insisting on major brands it may be worth looking at Advanced Battery Supplies (ABS).  Their own (relabelled?) Advanced XD019 is priced at £110 including delivery, possibly cheaper on Ebay.

See my recent post on the Rooster63's Motorhome Batteries thread, and for details of the ABS battery see here.

This post should not be construed as a reccomendation, it is for information only.

Alan

• Keithl changed the title to Fiat Ducato 2012 Starter Battery

When Fiat Ducatos built from mid-2006-onwards were fitted with a 3.0litre motor, the starter battery’s dimensions were

Length=393 mm

Width=175 mm

Height (including terminals)=190 mm

If the Ducato were fitted with a smaller capacity motor, the starter battery’s dimensions were

Length=353 mm

Width=175 mm

When I replaced the starter-battery of my 2015 Ducato (2.3litre motor 150PS) I chose a Varta H3 Silver Dynamic (019 size - L353 x W175 x H190mm). 

I considered fitting the longer 020 Varta Silver Dynamic (L393 x W175 x H190mm) but it was visually apparent that the position of the original battery's cabling (and of its vent tube) meant that fitting the longer battery might be 'tight'. Besides which, the performance of the 019 Varta would be perfectly adequate for the 150PS motor, the price would be cheaper and installation would just take a few minutes with no fiddling about required. 

(A plus with Varta batteries is that the date-of-manufacture etched into the battery's casing is not 'coded'. So it's a simple matter to identify how old a Varta battery is.)

7 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

When Fiat Ducatos built from mid-2006-onwards were fitted with a 3.0litre motor, the starter battery’s dimensions were

Length=393 mm

Width=175 mm

If the Ducato were fitted with a smaller capacity motor, the starter battery’s dimensions were

Length=353 mm

Width=175 mm

When I replaced the starter-battery of my 2015 Ducato (2.3litre motor 150PS) I chose a Varta H3 Silver Dynamic (019 size - L353 x W175 x H190mm). 

I considered fitting the longer 020 Varta Silver Dynamic (L393 x W175 x H190mm) but it was visually apparent that the position of the original battery's cabling (and of its vent tube) meant that fitting the longer battery might be 'tight'. Besides which, the performance of the 019 Varta would be perfectly adequate for the 150PS motor, the price would be cheaper and installation would just take a few minutes with no fiddling about required. 

(A plus with Varta batteries is that the date-of-manufacture etched into the battery's casing is not 'coded'. So it's a simple matter to identify how old a Varta battery is.)

The 020 goes in easily enough because the battery box post 2006 is designed for either

Just has a plastic spacer for the 019 you take out when fitting the 020

As you say the 020 battery was standard with the 3 litre engine, and an extra cost option with other engines.

But its a fair point that the 019 is quite adequate for the 2.3

Archived