Best way to charge a small 12v battery from a leisure battery?

Nick the wanderer

Hi,

I have a motorcycle that draws power from it's own 12v battery for the likes of a tracker when parked up. I have a spare leisure battery that I want to use to keep the bike battery topped up. I don't want to connect the leisure battery directly to the bike.

Is there such a thing as a 12v to 12v trickle charger?

This is for a storage location, there is no mains power and no solar option. Hope this makes sense, any ideas always gratefully received.

Nick

A motorcycle battery will have a quite small capacity (say 18Ah), whereas a leisure battery's capacity will be much larger (my own 'spare' 12V battery's capacity is 95Ah). 

So a 18Ah motorcycle battery powering a tracker is likely to discharge completely quite quickly, much quicker than if the tracker were being powered by a 95Ah battery.

If the 18Ah and 95Ah were both in good condition and fully charged to begin with (let's say the voltage of both was 12.5V) Van Bitz's "Battery Master" device should pass charge from the 95Ah battery to the 18Ah battery as the latter's voltage degrades as it powers the tracker.

As Nick does not wish to connect his spare leisure battery directly to his bike, I can't think of any other means to do this other than the Battery Master. How well the ploy would work is another matter and - as Labby has suggested - Nick should contact Van Bitz for advice.

Archived