Water ingress on new swift voyager

colruss

2 hours ago, colruss said:

Has anyone had water ingress in there new motorhome as I have the first day in rained it was dripping from the roof a very big problem can anyone advise thanks

That's bad luck.

I think you need to give a bit more info for anyone to help.

Whereabouts is water dripping - front - rear - around a rooflight - etc ?

🙁

3 hours ago, colruss said:

Has anyone had water ingress in there new motorhome as I have the first day in rained it was dripping from the roof a very big problem can anyone advise thanks

When you say "new", do you mean brand new, or new to you?

If asked, can you provide (e.g. photos) evidence of the leakage, which sounds quite serious?

As we're running into autumn, it seems remedy is more pressing than analysis, so I'm wondering if you have contacted the supplying dealer and notified them of the problem?

It is a fairly common condition of warranties that such defects are notified to the dealer as soon as the owner becomes aware of them.  Failure to do so can be disadvantageous to you, as delay inevitably results in avoidable greater damage being caused.  So if you haven't already done this, I'd suggest you do so soonest.

Beyond the above, if it leaked the first time it rained, unless roof damage has recently been caused, it must be assumed that the leakage has been continuous ever since the van was manufactured.  If that were the case, I think you may have grounds for rejecting the van, but will need legal advice (possibly, initially, from Citizens Advice) before you seek to pursue that avenue - because the case has to be made in the "right" way for it to have the greatest chance of success.

So, if you're confident that no roof damage has been caused during your ownership, I think you need to first notify the dealer of the leak, but nothing more, and immediately thereafter contact Citizen's Advice for advice and guidance on how to proceed regarding rejection.

The thread's title is "Water ingress on new swift voyager" and all on-line adverts for Swift Voyager motorhomes relate to 2022 or 2023 vehicles - so it's reasonable to assume that Colin's Voyager is brand-new. 

The simple answer to Colin's question "Can anyone advise?" is that he should immediately contact the motorhome dealership from which he bought the vehicle and insist that the problem be investigated without delay.

The cause of the water ingress may be something minor and easily rectified (eg. a rooflight not sealing properly when closed) or much more serious. As things stand, the motorhome is unusable and not fit for purpose.

hi yes the swift voyager is brand new?   if you recall back to 25/6/23 that when i collected the van it did not rain for a long time in-fax not till 19/06 2023  that when the water started dripping in email the dealer passed me on from person to person, so it  rained again the next night  .the 30days right to reject was ruining out,  when no one ask me to take it in.  I emailed my right to reject and returned it the next day. to say the dealer was unhappy  ,up to date i have had no contact with dealer apart from a phone call admitting there is a problem and he would be returning it to the manufacturer and that was on the 19/07/2023  So i sent a 14 days notice asking for a full refund   no reply                    The motorhome has been at the manufacturer from the 29/07/2023 and is still there as i can track the van

On 01/09/2023 at 15:23, colruss said:

hi yes the swift voyager is brand new?   if you recall back to 25/6/23 that when i collected the van it did not rain for a long time in-fax not till 19/06 2023  that when the water started dripping in email the dealer passed me on from person to person, so it  rained again the next night  .the 30days right to reject was ruining out,  when no one ask me to take it in.  I emailed my right to reject and returned it the next day. to say the dealer was unhappy  ,up to date i have had no contact with dealer apart from a phone call admitting there is a problem and he would be returning it to the manufacturer and that was on the 19/07/2023  So i sent a 14 days notice asking for a full refund   no reply                    The motorhome has been at the manufacturer from the 29/07/2023 and is still there as i can track the van

Then, I think I would contact Citizen's advice as soon as possible for further advice and guidance on how to proceed.  You will probably have to provide copies of all your correspondence with the dealer for them to be able to give you the best advice on your way forward. 

The dealer is not obliged to simply give your money back on receipt of a notice of rejection, but is entitled to offer to make repairs, or to offer financial compensation, or to take other steps to remedy the fault.  However, the van is your property, and any repairs etc. must be to your reasonable satisfaction, and you should be consulted as to the steps he proposes.

My concern is that this leak may have been present from the day the van was manufactured, and that is likely to have been some time before you actually got it.  In that time it may, or may not, have been parked outside in pouring rain and leaking, either at the factory, or at the dealership, or both.  Who knows?

I'm also perturbed that you mention rusting screws.  I am amazed that screws in that position were not of stainless steel.  It has nothing to do with the leakage, but seems to me to indicate poor quality control at the Swift factory.  I'm also somewhat amazed that no-one from Swift has made contact with you to update you on progress.  Very discourteous.

There is not, to my knowledge, any 30 days limit on your right to reject - I don't know where that is coming from.  The dealer is liable for the quality of what he sells under Consumer legislation.  If the 30 days is somewhere in the Swift warranty it is not relevant to your circumstances.  This is not a warranty issue.  Your legal rights as a consumer govern the extent of the dealer's liability to you for what he sold you.  It is for the dealer to obtain the most satisfactory outcome from Swift, on your behalf, as that seems to be how he has decided to pursue remedy.

It does become more difficult to reject goods as time passes, but only because the more time that has passed, the more difficult it becomes for you to legally claim that you have not accepted the goods.  In your case, as there was no rain between 25 June - when you say you took delivery of the van - and (I assume 19/7/23 - as the dates otherwise don't make sense) when it first rained and leaked, how could you reasonably have known of the leak?  Once the leak was apparent, it seems you were then reasonably prompt in notifying the dealer of it.

It would also be wise to note the date and time of any telephone conversations with the dealer, whoever rings who, and briefly note what was said, and by whom.  All this is why I think you should talk to Citizens Advice to get legal guidance before much more time passes.

Also, have you checked all your insurance policies to see if any have a legal advice/representation service included in the cover?  Many do, especially home and contents insurances.

Hi Brian thanks again for your advise i did contact swift   they directed me back to dealer and block me  from my swift web site , every consumer has a right to reject any goods that are not fit for purposes and identified as faulty under the consumer rights act 2015 the goods must be returned within the 30 day when you have right to a full re fund or a replacement.   after the 30days you can only accept a repair, the CRA is there for the consumer not the dealer this advise is from the citizens advise my insurance has legal cover but they are slow to react. i think every one  has the right not to buy a product that faulty, thanks brian now i going away for a week in a tent hope that it does not leak

• 4 months later...

Are you able to confirm who the dealer is or a rough location? If your not comfortable doing it on the forum please feel free to message me.

We are currently looking at a Swift voyager and trying to gather as  much info as possible

'Colruss' joined the OutandAboutLive forums on 31 August 2023. This is the only forum discussion in which he participated and his last recorded visit to the O&AL forums was on 13 September 2023. He may still view this forum as a guest, but, if not, you may well not get a response from him.

He also raised the matter of his Swift Voyager's water ingress problem on the MotorhomeFun forum on 30 August 2023. The link is below and it will be seen that he was planning to reject the motorhome within the '30-day rule' period.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/swift-voyager-water-ingress-on-new-motorhome.289734/

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your problems with your dealership and swift.

May I suggest that you write to "Ask Sally Hamilton" at  the Daily Mail National newspaper.  She takes on all manner of issues were people are receiving poor service.  Her column is printed in the paper every Wednesday.  Give as much detail as you have along with dates and names of people you have spoken to! and their replies.

Send a recorded delivery Letter to both Swift and the Dealership giving them YOUR permission, for them to  talk to Sally Hamilton regarding the problems with the motorhome they have supplied which  as proved to be totally unacceptable 

Her address is    Ask Sally Hamilton. Money Mail, Northcliffe House,  2, Derry Street, LONDON. W8 5TT.     They won't like it up em Mr Mannering.

Good luck   Lenard.

Lenard

As said above, the last recorded visit to this forum of "colruss" (to whom I assume you are addressing your advice) was in September 2023.

Colin's leaking Voyager motorhome had been returned to the Swift factory on 29 July 2023. He was attempting to reject the motorhome  and communications with the dealership that had sold him it had stalled. 

After his 4 postings here and his 3 postings on the MotorHomeFun forum, Colin provided no further information, but it's fair to assume that some sort of resolution has been reached by now. But with no feed-back from Colin, the result will never be known.

1 hour ago, Derek Uzzell said:

After his 4 postings here and his 3 postings on the MotorHomeFun forum, Colin provided no further information, but it's fair to assume that some sort of resolution has been reached by now. But with no feed-back from Colin, the result will never be known.

From the fact he never returned to either forum I would hazard a guess that the MH was rejected and that he had to sign a 'Non-Disclosure Agreement' (NDA) as part of that agreement and to prevent him from encouraging others in similar situations to go the rejection route. Friends were in a similar situation with a brand new Swift on a Ducato that kept cutting out when driving and when they finally got the dealer to buy it back (rather than a full rejection) they had to sign an NDA and could not disclose details of the deal.

Keith.