Thule step stopped working

rooster63

• Keithl changed the title to Thule step stopped working

Just tested the voltage on the switch which is a push button type. First push extends the step, second push retracts it. There are only 2 wires and the voltage is only 4.65V, assume it should be nearer 12V? If it should be 12V assume there must be some poor connection/dodgy wiring but not sure how to trace wiring as all well buried during the conversion.

Have done some further checking as I thought maybe the relay had developed a fault and looking on other forums there is another fuse under the bonnet but the forums also suggest that this relay and fuse also look after the fridge when it is running on 12V, fridge is working fine when engine is running so assume the relay and fuse are fine.

One other thought recently my wife tried to extend the step whilst the engine was running, could that have blown something? However the step was still working when we got home so unlikely.

It is not possible to directly control an Omnistep with just two wires connected to a switch. The switch that @rooster63is referring to will be the input device to a separate control box. With this Omnistep control box, for which I have seen no details other than a hefty price tag on a Thule price list, there should be no need for a separate step auto retract relay.

I am not aware as to whether Thule use a timed or current limited control for the step extension limit.  (Sargent use a time limited extension.)

The control box will probably contain two relays and a timer.  It will need two supply wires, and two power ouput wires to the step motor.  Add in the two wires from the switch, possibly another  two from the step retracted limit switch, and you have eight wires connecting to the unit.  So rooster63 needs to locate this unit, and check the supply, but the fact that he is measuring a low voltage across the switch does not suggest a blown fuse, but possible with modern sensitive multimeters, which can be misleading.

Thule/Omnistep diagrams show manual control via the habitation battery, and auto retract power from the starter battery. No reason is given, so perhaps just a diagramatic convenience. Sargent use starter battery only.  So perhaps the supply fuse can be found close to the starter battery.

Alan

25 minutes ago, rooster63 said:

Thanks Alan will try and locate the control box tomorrow and see as my van has a Sargent EM50  interface and ECM 328 see if there is a fuse somewhere near the starter battery.

You have not previously mentioned that you had a Sargent control system. A quick web search reveals that the EM50 contains the step control system.  Here is a link to their website. Check whether you have EM50 A, or EM50 C, before calling Sargent.  Their customer service is reputed to be helpful.

Alan

Sargent have confirmed that the step is controlled by the EM50. Suggested that it might have blown a thermal overheat fuse. I could send it to them to have it checked but might have to wait until the season is over. They also confirmed that the 4.5v on the switch is normal as it is just a signal voltage.

Hi

Hi check and clean your step first and ensure it's moving in and out freely 

I think if you look the step on this interface module has a 20A fuse in position holder F5  

It may also be prudent to check the wiring from your switch to these output pins

12 (limit switch )

13 (step operating switch signal)

9 (step feed +ve for step in)

10 (Step feed+ve  for step out)

Hope this helps

Regards

Archived