Pilote seating Upholstery

John Brueton

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, John.

This 2022 forum thread mentioned problems with the 'faux leather' of a 2017 Pilote motorhome.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/54398-seat-guarantee/

The complainant (Barcobird) sent photos of the damaged upholstery to Pilote in France and to a UK Pilote dealership, but provided no follow-up regarding the result.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John. We had a 2014 Pilote with same problem. Started peeling about 5 years after new. Dealer wasn't  interested or Pilote in France. Had it recovered in real leather then. The faux stuff is just total rubbish. We spoke to a few other people who had the same problem. One couple we met had the motorhome 16 months ago from new.  Time seems to vary to when it starts peeling.

• 10 months later...

You could try contacting this company (based at Bexhill)

https://upholstery1066.uk/portfolio/motorhomes-upholstery

and this MHFun discussion

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/vinyl-on-upholstery-cracking.267354/

mentions Regal Furnishing at Ilkeston, Derbyshire.

https://www.regalfurnishings.co.uk/ 

(I think you are based north-east of Winchester, so someone may be able to recommend an upholsterer nearer to you.)

We had a similar issue with our last van, a Carthago, and had it very successfully recovered in part real leather, part fabric at Regal.  Ironically we’ve recently changed to a Pilote - if we encounter the same issue with this van we’d certainly go back there.

5 hours ago, paul2 said:

There is CareAvan south Birmingham they also have an office at Bean (sat & sun only) where they do quotes. Fun members get a discount.

We had our MH fully re-trimmed by CareAVan twelve years ago and are still very pleased with their work and regularly recommend them.

And MMM subscribers hopefully still get a good discount 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks for answers and suggestions given and shared. I've had a loose quote from Mastercovers of Port Solent. They come strongly recommended, but their quote of around £3000 leaves me gulping, though I do appreciate the time factor in the job. I am seeking alternative quotes for comparison. I wonder what sort of costings others have had? Mine is for 2 X Aguti seats, dinette seat and one small side seat and back.

Edited by timgriffiths
Additional info

I had the same problem on my 2013 Adria Sport. The fabric areas of the cushions were fine, but the cheap vinyl areas peeled and cracked. I went to a local upholsterer in Emsworth who retained the fabric and replaced the vinyl on all the cushions. His view was that the original vinyl cost about £3/m3 which is rubbish, and used material costing around £20/m3. So far it hasn't worn at all and the colour is exactly as before. I don't have the figure to hand, but I recall the cost was ca £700. I suspect reupholstering full seats would really bump up the cost though. 

Dick

When we had our last van done, it was (from memory) about £1800 in fabric and £2200 in part (real) leather - that was 2 Fiat cab seats, l-shaped seats around table and side seat, so presumably similar to OP’s.  Mick at Regal gave us a quote over the phone, suggesting he knows upholstery layout of most vans?

• 3 weeks later...

Currently looking to get new seat covers for driver and pax seat made by SB Seats in Stockport. Visited them last week and they have a massive stunning range of fabrics, leather, faux suede etc and will make anything you want. We're having leather type side panels and fabric inner main panel. Will take about 4 wks to do, £450 and we'll take the m/h to them for fitting. No payment until we're happy. Will post some pics when they're fitted