Can't scroll posts or strings.

Brian Kirby

Question

Is anyone else experiencing similar?

What I mean is that when looking at, for example, Motorhome Matters, I can see the current page, and can see the numbers for the preceding pages, but if I want to scroll back to any of the preceding pages, I cannot.

Also, if viewing a multi-page string, I can only see the page at which the string opens, but not any of the earlier pages.  

Worked alright a week or so back.  Is it me, or the forum, or has my membership been restricted?

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Thanks Keith.  Apologies, probably wasn't the best place for the post!  🙂  I'll check it and see if anything changes.

Also this changed post format has just landed!  Don't know if this will help or not, but ticking the "Remember Me" box on this "new" forum when logging on, has never resulted in automatic recognition, as in the old forum, where my details were remembered and all I had to do to access the forums was go to Out and About Live - Motorhomes & Caravans For Sale plus MMM, Caravan & Camping magazines and that was it.  

Edited by Brian Kirby

I access the O&AL forums normally using an elderly iMac desktop computer or a newish iPad, or - if I'm in a masochistic mood - via a fairly old iPhone 7. On the iMac I use the Chrome browser and Safari on the iPad and iPhone. 

Since the O&AL forums were ported to the present Invision Community platform late last year, I've not noticed any behavioural changes in the way they 'work'. Essentially, how the forums behaved after the transition has not really altered as far as I'm concerned. (The only significant change I can think of was when the thread archive period was reduced from 5 years to 1 year - but that happened a while back.)

I directly 'bookmark' the forums and normally I get logged in automatically when I select that bookmark. (Occasionally I have to re-sign in, but that was the case with the 'old' forum.) Once I'm in, I don't have any problems roaming around the forums, and paging/scrolling or dealing with multi-page threads happens as I anticipate it should.

You might try using a different browser or accessing the forums differently to see if that would help, but it's really difficult to diagnose your problems remotely when one is not having any problems oneself.😀

Thanks for the reply, Derek.  Only just spotted it.

I suspect the greater part of the difference between your experiences and mine, are that I'm using a Windows 10 pro PC!  But it is odd.  It began a day or three before I posted on the Support forum, and I can't identify any particular update or other change that might have provoked it.  On the previous forum, if I ticked the "remember me box" it did remember me, so as soon as I used my MMM forum bookmark it took me straight in with automatic login.  That has never worked on the new forum, so I now have to "sign in" every time..

But this is different.  If I want to access a multi page string, providing I select the page number I want to access, it opens.  But I can't access any preceding or succeeding page/s via the page number "tags", only by returning to the "index" list and then selecting the same string again, but choosing a different page to access, and so on.

In a similar way, I can only access the current index page.  Selecting an earlier page gets no response at all.  I did discover that if I searched a known topic title I could access historic pages, but my memory doesn't extend to remembering which topics I'd posted on three months ago so as to arrive at the appropriate index page containing the historic post I was after.  (Well; it did once, but that was pure luck!)

Since Keith moved this string to the Support forum, I'd hoped it might be monitored by admin, who might flag it to someone sufficiently familiar with the new platform to advise.  It seems not.  Any suggestions (apart from "buy a Mac"! 😞) ?  E-mail admin?  Or have I been put in some unknown (to me) "sin bin" with restricted rights?

Edited by Brian Kirby

I suspect that it's the fact that you are still on Windows 10 and that a recent update of the Invision Community platform no longer interfaces with that version correctly. Software developers check that proposed changes to applications will work properly with current operating systems, but they can't be expected that this will be true indefinitely for 'legacy' systems.

If there are other forum members accessing the O&AL forums and using Windows 10, they may be able to say if they are experiencing similar issues.