Towbar electrics and MOT

webby1

There is no power getting to the 13 pin socket towbar socket and we have an MOT due next week.

We only ever use it for the bike rack and that only need 7 pins.So I am thinking to change the socket down to 7 pins.I have read in a few places that only the 13 pin is subject to electrical testing and the 7 pin is just checked for security.

Does anybody have any references to this so I can show the tester if needed.

And while we're at it, does anyone have any thoughts on why no power to any of the pins.I have no idea if it is fused or where I can check the connections.

The wisest approach would be to enquire about this at the MOT station that will be performing the test.

There is a fair amount of on-line discussion about the MOT test and 7-pin sockets, but it's mostly old and not authoritative. Although the general view appears to be that 7-pin sockets are just inspected visually, I notice that 'adapters' are advertised for 13-pin socket testing equipment so that the older 7-pin system can also be checked.