Adding a CD player

ColinM50

Recently took delivery of a Ford Transit based motorhome, a Chausson 733 and it's pretty good. Apart from the sound system. As is common with most vehicles now it doesn't have a CD player, instead the sales guy and tech guy at the dealer tell me I've got to download my 125 or so CD's on to a memory stick. No chance of me spending the hours and hours needed to do that whilst I've already got the CD's.

The fitted nav/radio system is an XCENT X Map27 and I've bought a separate CD player from auntie Google and whilst it plugs in it doesn't play play properly. It seems to know that "something's" plugged in but, all I get on the screen is "Audio only", and nothing works. Looking on Google it seems I need some form of emulation module. But I can't find one in UK. They're available in USA for around €400 but then there's shipping and customs etc and what if it doesn't work? Not sure if I can post a Youtube article, but here goes

So, the Q is, can anybody point me in the right direction of what I need? I don't have Apple play but do have an Android phone.

Help please.
TIA

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but "ripping" the CDs to MP3 is definitely your best option.

You would, of course, need a computer with a CD drive and some storage, and a USB stick.

You can rip them in batches, and copy the results (and any new additional results) to the USB stick as and when you like, simply adding as you've got time.

With a PC, ripping is relatively simple, and what may not be obvious to you is that the CD isn't played in real time, it's generally no more than a couple of minutes per CD to rip.

Once on the usb stick, inserted into the correct slot in the radio, the XZENT should provide you a decent menu system to select and play. No CDs to carry or change. I have in excess of 300 albums on a 64Gb stick (on an older XZENT)

• Like 1

thanks Robin, you're 100% right. It's not what I want to hear but is the same as my son and brother have tokd me. But not what I want to do. Call me a MOG or what, but I hate to waste the hundreds of CD's in the name of progress - it's not as if I want to plug in my eight track😅

3 hours ago, Robinhood said:

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but "ripping" the CDs to MP3 is definitely your best option.

Absolutely

I was disappointed my Ducato came with a USB socket instead of a CD player

But now I have ripped the CDs to MP3 I realise how much better it is

You can delete the songs you don't want, add those you do and arrange them how you like.

You will be wasting those CDs sooner or later because they don't last for ever

But if you have them on MP3 you can copy them so you don't lose them like you do when a CD won't read.

I wouldn't want a CD player now.

Edited by John52

I used my old windows XP PC to rip my CDs to MP3 - software already installed as part of Windows

Now got 2,300 songs on 11.1gb - they play more reliably than CD, and you can delete, add, rearrange songs as you wish

Imagine carrying all those CDs and faffing about with that CD drive hanging on a CD lead!!

Instead of a short USB drive like this (link) 32gb is ample, mine are only 16gb

(they are the best sort for a media player because they don't stick out far enough to get broken off)

You won't want a CD drive when you have got that!